Wiki Posts
Search

Palace Hotel SF

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 1999, 12:42 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member
Original Poster

Palace Hotel SF

Has anyone stayed at The Palace in San Francisco? W was booked on Friday and the reservation agent told me I was crazy to use a Free Friday at the Westin St. Francis when I could stay at The Palace. I was trusting and said OK.

Is he/she right?
Old Jul 21, 1999, 12:50 pm
Original Member

She is very correct indeed. The Palace hotel in San Francisco is nothing short of wonderful. The rooms are large and very well built. The furnature is top quality and staff seem to go out of their way for every guest. My stay there was in 1997, so the staff may not be the same. The only problem I had with it was that its location was a bit out of the tourist area.

Overall: A-
Westin San Fran: B-
Old Jul 21, 1999, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
there are some Not so Hot rooms at both hotels. I have not stayed at the Palace for several years, at which time they made me so mad... but I suppose its worth another try. I got there (its valet only) and they refused to park my car, notwithstanding the fact that I was a guest checking in. (we're full) I had to find parking in that neighborhood. I politely complained at the front desk. They did nothing.

Objectively both hotels have lovely public rooms, and if you want a special meal in a special setting, the Palace has the superior place. (By the way, the area near the Palace is MUCH improved in recent years).

As another option, you may want to check out the W. Totally different, check out the string of messages. If you want "traditional elegance", the StF or the Palace
Old Jul 21, 1999, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(Missed that the W was booked)... Or you can bag it alltogether and stay at the beautiful 4 Points in Emeryville right across the Bay Bridge. There, you get an excellent view of the freeway which always has lots of traffic, and you are in walking distance of not only Burger King, but Lyons, Tower Records AND the Men's Warehouse. I guarantee it.
Old Jul 21, 1999, 6:50 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Palace dropped the Sharaton name and its now part of the new Luxury collection!
Old Jul 21, 1999, 11:24 pm
Original Member

I don't know about being crazy to stay at the St. Francis, its a wonderful hotel.

That said, The Palace is Exceptional.
Old Jul 22, 1999, 6:03 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
The Westin St. Francis is the only hotel that I have stayed in that truly had "single" rooms. Twice while staying there I was given rooms with one twin bed. To my knowlege this is not the norm. Aside from that the public rooms are lovely. But I too would say the Palace is the better choice. As far as being in a touristy area--where do you think the St. Francis is located. It is smack dap in front of Union Square with the cable cars running non stop in front all day long! I would love to try out the new W hotel, but alas I think it might be outside of my company's guidelines. Let me know if anyone out there hears of discounts for this property.
Old Jul 22, 1999, 9:20 am
Original Member

We stayed at the Palace for a wedding. Like
one FT mentioned, the parking is valet only and if they are full, they'll won't allow any more cars. We just crammed in and they parked our car.

Have you seen the Michael Douglas movie called, "The Game"? I think where he comes crashing through a glass ceiling? That scene was filmed at the Palace...In fact, the wedding was held in the same room. I kept looking at the ceiling...

The rooms were large, but nothing spectacular in my opinion, but the hotel was nice!
Old Jul 22, 1999, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The W has been running occasional specials, but not too many. I got lucky and stayed there for $139 a few weeks ago. These rates seem to appear not too far in advance if they are going to have excess inventory. But their rates have been generally in line with those at the Palace and StF.
Old Jul 22, 1999, 10:35 am

Location: Bellevue, WA, USA United Premex, Delta Silver Medallion, Starwood Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
I am staying at the Palace this Friday on the "Free Fridays" program too. I've always stayed at the St. Francis, and know nothing about the Palace except what I've read here. Anyone know what sort of reception or room I could expect as a Platinum Preferred member?
Old Jul 22, 1999, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Pluto, email me (if interested) and maybe we can get a drink. I should arrive at 6:00 PM or so.

As as Platinum memebr you should just make sure you don't get the room next to mine. My weekend is all about fun.
Old Jul 22, 1999, 12:46 pm
Commander Catcop

I have not considered the Palace. But should give it a try.

My one stay at the Westin St. francis was great, I got upgarded to a mini suite with a nice king bed on a high floor (that's what I ask for ALL MY HOTEL ROOMS!) Yes, I heard the cable cars but I don't mind.

It's a more pleasant sound than screaming couples, crying babies, screetching cars, singing homeless and Mister Softee TRUCK (who always knows to do that ding a ding ding ding stupid song around 8 p-m when I am in deepest sleep.)(

yes, My cats MEOW me awake but that's a pleasable sound.

If you don't like the cable cars buy ear plus or get a high room or have a glass of warm milk before bed.

Old Jul 25, 1999, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Not happy with The Palace. Computers were down on check-in (and through most of the stay). Assigned a small room in which a constant "water" noise seemed to flow thorugh. Zero, yes ZERO, sleep. And earlier, the bar had to get a manager to approve letting us charge our tab to the room, because his computer did not show us as registered guests.

All, in all, inot a good starwood experience.
Old Jul 26, 1999, 8:22 am

I stayed at the Palace a couple of years ago. I like the location - it's only a couple of blocks from the trolly terminus which gets you to the Wharf. Embarcadero Center is also a short walk away.
The Pied Piper Bar is well known. It's OK to see it & the mural but I wouldn't hang out there.
Parking in downtown areas is always dicey. That's not the hotel's fault.
Old Jul 26, 1999, 10:50 am
Original Member

Auh20... first of all I feel terrible! I was in the Palace the same night you and Pluto were there. I actually ran into Pluto checking out...turns out he and his wife had the room above me. We both got huge corner suites. I wish I had read this thread earlier or Hunnybear and I could have met up with you.

I would definitely fire off a letter to Dave Starwood, Jr. about your experience.

QuietLion

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.