Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Promo: 500 bonus Starpoints for updating your stay preferences profile, 15 Oct-15 Dec

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 11, 2014, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Add your stay preferences on your spg.com profile to earn 500 bonus Starpoints from 15 October until 15 December 2014

Originally Posted by T&Cs
My Stay Preferences bonus: Registered members are eligible to receive 500 bonus Starpoints when updating the members spg.com profile online between October 15, 2014 and December 15, 2014. Updates made prior to registration are eligible, but only if the update falls within October 15 to December 15, 2014. The bonus will post to the registered member's account 2-4 weeks after the end of the promotion period. All members who are registered for the More For You promotion are eligible for the My Stay Preferences bonus regardless of whether they have an eligible booking in the promotion.
To earn the bonus you must be registered for the SPG More For You promotion. Registration for this closed at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time (ET) on November 30, 2014
Print Wikipost

Promo: 500 bonus Starpoints for updating your stay preferences profile, 15 Oct-15 Dec

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2014, 4:19 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Ok, good to know...I'm not plat, so I also had to force some bogus changes (added that I liked beach or golf or something), but nothing had materially changed.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 2:04 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It was just expanded to add the Platinum preferences
It was expended to add new choices for ALL members, not just Platinums.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 7:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
It was expended to add new choices for ALL members, not just Platinums.
Yes, they added acessibility and floor preferences (at least I don't remember those from before), but the point is that it the profile option existed before, so your above point about the situation above not arising is most definitely wrong.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Yeah, I just saw 2-4 weeks and "assumed" it was after sign-up. Sorry.

I'm antsy to pull the trigger on a points stay and just need a few more points...
I can confirm it is not 2-4 wks after sign-up. I changed my preferences on Oct 15th (4 wks ago) and have not received any points. I guess we'll see them next year.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 12:50 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by conde
I cannot enter a preference for a higher floor. My only option is to select a preference for a lower floor (or not select at all). For elevator proximity, I can only select to be near an elevator. I cannot select a preference to be away from the elevator. Sure, I like the ability to add preferences, and an extra 500 Starpoints for doing so is nice, but I should be able to select a preference for a higher floor and to be away from the elevator. It shouldn't matter what status someone is for them to select preferences like these, as preferences are not guarantees.

Starwood may as well offer preference options for warm pillows and wet blankets.
I have the same issues with the choices.

In addition, my preferences can depend on the particular hotel. In some locations, I want the room with the best view while in others I want the largest room, etc. This should be common sense, but AFAIK trying to change this for one reservation changes it for all other bookings too, so that I would almost need to continuously monitor this and make sure to re-change my preferences just before I think the property will preassign rooms.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 12:52 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Just a hypothetical...what if you have NO changes? What if everything in your profile was already the way you wanted it to be? Do you have to change "something" to get the bonus points?
I first removed a hotel from my preferred list. I don't know how it got there; I certainly never said that this place was my preferred hotel.

Then I messed around with room preferences on some bookings.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 1:20 pm

I also like different rooms for different reasons - high in a city to get away from street noise, low with an ocean view because we like to watch the waves. And I always put these requests into the comments/additionals box for each individual reservation - what happens to them then? Do they ALL go into preferences?
Old Nov 12, 2014, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've got a bunch of points that will expire around January. For me, this is an easy way to not only get some points, but also to extend the expiration date!
Old Nov 12, 2014, 6:28 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by BigLar
I've got a bunch of points that will expire around January. For me, this is an easy way to not only get some points, but also to extend the expiration date!
What you also can do is redeem points for a stay and the cancel it. That will create some activity on you account.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A little bit of confusion: I recall getting an email, but I seem to have misplaced it. Anyhow, when I signed on to my SPG account, a banner came up talking about the 500 point bonus. I went to my account and changed some things (including the 'stay preferences').

However, after re-reading this thread, it seems I also have to register for the More for You promo, for which I might need a link.

Am I remembering it rightly?
Old Nov 15, 2014, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did some checking, and the notice was not in an email, but in Tim Winship's Frequent Flyer newsletter. It seemed pretty clear that I had to register for the promo.

So, googling up spg promos, I found it, registered, and just got the confirming email. So, I should be good.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 5:46 pm

I think I'm still unclear, so please indulge me:

In order to get the 500 points, I have updated my Profile.

But do I also have to BOOK a reservation, or is it enough that I just registered for the More for You promo?

So, will I get the 500 points if I:

1) updated my Profile

2) registered for the Promo

3) but did NOT book a reservation/stay during this timeframe?
Old Nov 15, 2014, 6:38 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
I think I'm still unclear, so please indulge me:

In order to get the 500 points, I have updated my Profile.

But do I also have to BOOK a reservation, or is it enough that I just registered for the More for You promo?

So, will I get the 500 points if I:

1) updated my Profile

2) registered for the Promo

3) but did NOT book a reservation/stay during this timeframe?

The T&Cs of the promo are very clear on this (emphasis added):

My Stay Preferences bonus: Registered members are eligible to receive 500 bonus Starpoints when updating the members spg.com profile online between October 15, 2014 and December 15, 2014. Updates made prior to registration are eligible, but only if the update falls within October 15 to December 15, 2014. The bonus will post to the registered member's account 2-4 weeks after the end of the promotion period. All members who are registered for the More For You promotion are eligible for the My Stay Preferences bonus regardless of whether they have an eligible booking in the promotion.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Points just posted. ^
Old Nov 26, 2014, 3:03 pm

Just went to check - ours did too!

I love when a company under-promises and over-delivers - good job!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.