Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

The St. Regis Moscow Nikolskaya, Russian Federation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The St. Regis Moscow Nikolskaya, Russian Federation

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2016, 3:11 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Current Stay at the Regis

My 2nd night at the St Regis. I am an spg preferred on a platinum challenge. So no real special treatment.

Very nice hotel. Checked in and grabbed my bag and I headed to my room. When I arrived I had a nice welcome letter with a map, pocket guide, restaurant list, ballet and art show options along with tour information. Probably less than 5 min after I got to my room the doorbell rang and I was greeted by the butler. She went over the services and gave me a card with a phone number or email to contact them at anytime and she left. The services were basically what has been explained here - pressing service, shoe shining, coffee or tea, packing/unpacking, wake up calls etc. I contacted around 9pm for a pressing for the next morning and a adapter for my phone. She was up very quickly to grab my clothes and the adapter came later.

I did use the unpacking option which was nice as I was running out to a meeting. Plus 2 garments pressed for the next day is nice as well. But when I asked for other things at different times I was simply told to ask the concierge or that they would leave a note but I needed to end up calling on my own. Concierge has been great though and got us the last two tickets at the Bolshoi for this week. My final thoughts on the butler service is they are very responsive but I get the feeling that if I never rang them I wouldn't see or hear from them for the rest of my stay.

The hotel is very close to red square. You make 2 rights after leaving the hotel and you are on the pedestrian street that leads right to red square. Maybe 5 min walk or so at a moderate pace.

I came in from a walk around the square to check out the other facilities - spa, gym and pool. The gym is separated into two areas both fairly small. One has free weights and a couple machines and the other has 2 bikes, 1 elliptical and 3 treadmills. The pools and spa are small but nice and not busy. The spa had several rooms and a menu of various services available.

Morning breakfast was an excellent buffet with a number of options including caviar at the buffet in the lobby restaurant. However, dinner in the same Italian restaurant later that evening was hit or miss.

One huge downside is the walls are paper thin. You can hear plenty from the adjoining rooms and some hallway nose. I wouldn't recommend the hotel for a light sleeper.

I am here for a few more nights and can report on other things if someone has other questions.

Last edited by jbutters; Mar 16, 2016 at 10:21 pm
Old Mar 20, 2016, 12:16 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I stayed here last summer and liked it. Didn't have any noise issues in my upgraded Suite. And this property is much better than the National in almost every way (except history and view of Kremlin if you can get it).
Old Jul 29, 2016, 7:50 pm

Lucky at One Mile at a Time has posted a trip report on his blog with a lot of photos.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 10:57 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by zzap
Lucky at One Mile at a Time has posted a trip report on his blog with a lot of photos.
I was there a month ago, and I corroborate Lucky's review. Although I think the Astor suite is a standard Platinum upgrade, but I didn't want to risk it and used SNAs anyway to be safe.

Great hotel. And with the rouble as cheap as it is now, it's actually a screaming deal for money.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:07 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Astor suite is a standard Platinum upgrade. Got it without SNA. Rouble will get cheaper and in autumn-winter it is even better deal with cash.Last winter the price was around 120€ per night.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 1:48 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Originally Posted by Jaenks
Astor suite is a standard Platinum upgrade. Got it without SNA. Rouble will get cheaper and in autumn-winter it is even better deal with cash.Last winter the price was around 120€ per night.
Anyone see any nights with 120 for this winter? ( December )
Old Feb 15, 2017, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Medved
Cat 5 is a steal. Definitely, will jump to 6 on March 1st, 2015.
Originally Posted by MaxVO
No change yet! ^
dropping to cat 4 next month....now that's a steal....i'm booking this for a stay later this year....
Old Feb 16, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Originally Posted by Keyser
dropping to cat 4 next month....now that's a steal....i'm booking this for a stay later this year....
Indeed. Cash rates are still high. StR has retaken Ararat Hyatt as "it" hotel in Moscow. Surprisingly, Ritz Carlton or Four Season have never reached the same aura among the "crowd".
I'm tempted to stay myself but we have been keeping an apartment in Moscow.
Old May 28, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP (1M+), HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Just completed a three night stay with a block of four room. Unfortunately, I was not blown away with the hotel.

I was on a cash rate (with a corporate code applied).

We arrived with 10+ bags in tow. Blank stairs from the bellmen without even a hint of trying to help us out. Half our rooms were ready at around 2 PM, so we stashed the bags in one room and went on our merry way.

One room was upgraded to a suite which was somewhat nice, but with a very slanted roof line; felt very constricted in the room. The other three had MASSIVE ceiling heights. The room I slept in was fairly close to the main street that the hotel fronts, Lubyanka Square, and as has been noted before - with extremely poor noise blocking. The windows aren't properly sealed (two single-paned pieces of glass) and do very little to block the all night traffic noise. I slept with ear plugs in each night.

The exercise/pool area is nice, but the "hot" tub was lukewarm at best. Breakfast was very tasty.

I guess in the end, I was just hoping for more. Next time, I'll probably try the Four Seasons which has an exponentially better location.
Old May 29, 2017, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by edbyu
.. Next time, I'll probably try the Four Seasons which has an exponentially better location.
Locations are equally excellent for both - just slightly different sides of red square.
From SR it is 5 min walk on a nice pedestrian street by GUM shopping plaza and it sits right on top of metro entrance - this is as good as it gets in moscow...
Old May 29, 2017, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP (1M+), HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by azepine00
Locations are equally excellent for both - just slightly different sides of red square.
From SR it is 5 min walk on a nice pedestrian street by GUM shopping plaza and it sits right on top of metro entrance - this is as good as it gets in moscow...
True, sort of. 30 seconds walk for the Four Seasons vs 5 mins for the St Regis.

The Four Seasons is breathing down the Kremlin's neck. Would love to hear the story on how they secured that piece of real estate.
Old May 29, 2017, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by edbyu
The Four Seasons is breathing down the Kremlin's neck. Would love to hear the story on how they secured that piece of real estate.
That hotel has a fascinatingly weird story. It's an almost exact replica of a historic hotel built in the 1930s by the Soviet government, but demolished in 2004, amid great controversy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Seasons_Hotel_Moscow
Old May 29, 2017, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by James Luckard
That hotel has a fascinatingly weird story. It's an almost exact replica of a historic hotel built in the 1930s by the Soviet government, but demolished in 2004, amid great controversy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Seasons_Hotel_Moscow
It's a strange decision for the reconstructed building to retain the original mismatched wings of the building. Instresting history though!
Old Jun 19, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Any comparisons with the Park Hyatt (assuming I could get PH with points/cash and confirmed suite upgrade).
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Str location is a touch better imo with a pedestrian street. Hyatt pool is bigger but no hot tub iirc. I prefer more typical contemporary hyatt decor but ymmv.
Obviously a confirmed suite at PH is much better than taking chances at StR although they seem to upgrade plats pretty well.
For standard tooms Str is a better value on points esp with 5 nt free but you should be able to find brg on hyatt.
I recall str suite bathroom being much more spacious but perhaps this depends on individual suites.
Breakfast was a la carte at hyatt (a couple yrs back) vs buffet at str - pros and cons to both - both excellent though.
Both are great hotels overall...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.