Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking rooms for my employees

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2013, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skymiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Priority Club, Hhonors
Booking rooms for my employees

Our HQ is in STL. We probably have about 20 room nights a year from remote employees staying here for meetings. My assistant just picks the cheapest decent close hotel for them. (They are not frequent travelers like the folks on here.) There is no preferred "company hotel."

Should I establish one? Are 20 nights enough to get a discounted guaranteed rate? Any way to get SPG benefits out of it?
Old Jun 7, 2013, 5:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Companies which establish a "preferred" hotel or chain do so because they have negotiated a corporate rate. 20 nights/year is not even within an order of magnitude of what you need.

To put this in perspective, Gold (the first elite tier) requires 10 stays or 25 nights for an individual. You are not even talking 25 nights for an entire business.

Yes, you probably could establish a master billing system with one local hotel and have points accrue to you instead of the employee. But, it's an employee morale killer and for 20 nights/year, that is a lot of work for close to zero benefit.

Why not simply have your assistant keep a short list of local properties which fit the general price paramters and send that out to traveling employees? Let them make their own booking where they want to stay and your administrative effort is minimized, your employees are empowered a bit and it doesn't cost you anything.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 6:59 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
See if you can qualify for this...

http://www.spgpromos.com/group/
Old Jun 7, 2013, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL Sil, UA Sil, Hyatt Global, MR Amb, Hilton Diamond, National Exec, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by bigdel1
Our HQ is in STL. We probably have about 20 room nights a year from remote employees staying here for meetings. My assistant just picks the cheapest decent close hotel for them. (They are not frequent travelers like the folks on here.) There is no preferred "company hotel."

Should I establish one? Are 20 nights enough to get a discounted guaranteed rate? Any way to get SPG benefits out of it?
When I've talked to hotels about this, they generally want a minimum of 50 nights. There are some that will do less, so talk to the hotel you want to use and see what happens.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 10:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It may make a difference if many of the nights are at the same time versus scattered individually throughout the year. Even for ten people or so at the same time, you can negotiate rates for a room block.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skymiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Priority Club, Hhonors
Thanks for the help. Sounds like we will just find a couple to recommend.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 6:53 pm
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
You can also register for Starwood Preferred Business. You accrue points for your employees beyond their personal points earned on their own accounts. The earning is very slow, but the don't expire and they can be transferred to anyone's SPG account.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 7:01 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Starwood Preferred Business is the way to go as long as there are at least 5 employees that stay a year. You can either give the employee an extra point per dollar spent or keep them for the company and transfer them in to your account. If you combine this with an SPG Amex to pay some company expenses, you can earn plenty of free nights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.