Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Accessing my corporate rate

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2013, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC(MM), Hilton-Diamond (lifetime)
Accessing my corporate rate

I travel frequently to Toronto and since I dropped Fairmont I generally stay at the Sheraton Centre or the Hilton as my firm has corporate rates with both hotels.

The problem I have is accessing those rates with Starwood.

When booking on-line often the corporate rate is unavailable but another rate $100 higher often is. A "no go" with our expense people.

It seems that neither the staff in the Sheraton nor the platinum concierge service can override these rates. Over at the Hilton the lady that runs the executive lounge does have that ability to do so and i depend on her frequently.

Should I be talking to anyone else from Starwood? I do approximately 175 nights per year, 125 or so in Toronto.

Thanks for your assistance.
Old May 29, 2013, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Piratos
I travel frequently to Toronto and since I dropped Fairmont I generally stay at the Sheraton Centre or the Hilton as my firm has corporate rates with both hotels.

The problem I have is accessing those rates with Starwood.

When booking on-line often the corporate rate is unavailable but another rate $100 higher often is. A "no go" with our expense people.

It seems that neither the staff in the Sheraton nor the platinum concierge service can override these rates. Over at the Hilton the lady that runs the executive lounge does have that ability to do so and i depend on her frequently.

Should I be talking to anyone else from Starwood? I do approximately 175 nights per year, 125 or so in Toronto.

Thanks for your assistance.
If you are booking on SPG's website, make sure your SET code is loaded into your profile. With my employer, the SET code will knock off a percentage of almost every *wood hotel. It also has preferred hotels where it has specific negotiated rates. These may have specific limitations where if there is a single room available, the rate will be loaded. Alternatively, they may be inventory controlled. Basically, it is up to your company and the individual hotel how those work.

I have done two things when trying to get a better rate at a specific hotel. If there are a number of colleagues staying at the same hotel for an extended period of time, I will talk directly to the hotel. If there are just a couple of employees or just me, I will go through my company/travel agent since they will have more buying power than me individually. It tends to be hotel specific on what they offer, but it usually works out.
Old May 29, 2013, 9:47 am
Flying Blue Director

I have the same issue with my SET rate at a number of hotels, and especially at the Sheraton Centre and the Westin Harbour Castle. Really quite frustrating, as the rates are usually very good if I call the hotel directly and they have availability.
Old May 29, 2013, 10:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Discounts, particularly corporate discounts, are very often capacity controlled. No different than any dynamic pricing environment. No reason for the property to discount a room it can sell for full price (or thereabouts).
Old May 29, 2013, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Are you talking about a specific negotiated rate, or a chain-wide discount due to who your employer is? If it is the former, chances are it is capacity controlled. If it is the latter, then I think those discounts are off of "standard rates" which don't necessarily include the pre-paid specials found on SPG.com. It could be that you are getting a discount off of the standard rate but there is also a special going on which undercuts even that.
Old May 29, 2013, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
SET codes can be chain-wide AND hotel specific. Using the same code at two different properties can provide different rate details. Usually hotel-specific rates will mention the company by name and those that aren't may choose to allow a generic discount off some pre-defined rate. Either way, it's my understanding that each property must load the SET and determine what rate, limitations, and benefits they want to offer.
Old May 29, 2013, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
SET codes can be chain-wide AND hotel specific. Using the same code at two different properties can provide different rate details. Usually hotel-specific rates will mention the company by name and those that aren't may choose to allow a generic discount off some pre-defined rate. Either way, it's my understanding that each property must load the SET and determine what rate, limitations, and benefits they want to offer.
This has been my experience as well. If you see the link sent to employees of certain companies including their SET it tells them that they have "corporate preferred" status (or something like that) and will receive a specific discount at any Starwood hotel. Some companies then negotiate rates with specific hotels in addition.
Old May 30, 2013, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice.

My corporate rates are global with Starwood and give specific rates at specific properties around the world.

I understand about capacity control and I suppose the algorithm Starwood uses must tell them that they can expect to sell those vacant rooms at the higher rate. They choose to maximize revenue on this basis and that is clearly their choice. They must believe that customers like me will keep coming back or can be relaced by others willing to pay an equal or higher room rate.

We also have the same type of global negotiated rates with Hilton and presumably Hilton also uses a sophisticated system to predict occupancy yet they choose to override it for a good customer like me.

I suppose that tells me who I should be doing business with in Toronto.
Old May 30, 2013, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Piratos
Thanks for the advice.

My corporate rates are global with Starwood and give specific rates at specific properties around the world.

I understand about capacity control and I suppose the algorithm Starwood uses must tell them that they can expect to sell those vacant rooms at the higher rate. They choose to maximize revenue on this basis and that is clearly their choice. They must believe that customers like me will keep coming back or can be relaced by others willing to pay an equal or higher room rate.

We also have the same type of global negotiated rates with Hilton and presumably Hilton also uses a sophisticated system to predict occupancy yet they choose to override it for a good customer like me.

I suppose that tells me who I should be doing business with in Toronto.
If your Toronto travel patterns are fairly regular why don't you contact the sales staff at the particular property and see what kinds of arrangements you can make (I'll guarantee you a minimum number of nights if you guarantee my corp rate will always be available)?
Old May 31, 2013, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Have you tried going through your Ambassador?
Old May 31, 2013, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I have contacted my ambassador to no avail. I may try to talk to someone in hotel management. Cannot hurt.
Thanks for your replies.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 9:21 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, PC Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Plat
Just switch to a different corporate rate . The one I use is almost always available at the aforementioned hotels.

SG
Old Jun 2, 2013, 7:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Snow Goose
Just switch to a different corporate rate . The one I use is almost always available at the aforementioned hotels.

SG
Isn't that fraud? And what happens when your employer checks your reimbursements and asks why you are using company X's corporate rate if you wish to continue working for your current company Y employer?
Old Jun 2, 2013, 8:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Isn't that fraud? And what happens when your employer checks your reimbursements and asks why you are using company X's corporate rate if you wish to continue working for your current company Y employer?
+1 - Negotiated rates often come with other benefits to the employer. A rebate as an example. In addition, the chain can provide details of everybody using the rate and that is a useful back office audit function. Some employers may not care, others might care a lot.

Anything that messes with corporate deals is worth checking with the employer. Some figure that if an employee will nickel & dime them on something minor such as this, they will do worse.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 9:05 am

Programs: AC*SE, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, PC Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Plat
I think you missed the smiley.

SG

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.