Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best SPG property for 20k points?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2013, 2:22 am
Original Poster

Best SPG property for 20k points?

Hi All, I have been reading FT for a while now, but this is my first post - can anyone suggest the best redemption options for 20k starwood points?

I have received the bonus from my Amex card and wondering what's the best way to use them.

My situation is:

- live in London
- have 100k avios plus the 2for1 BA voucher (which means I can reach until Cancun on the east and Beijing on the west in Club World with my wife)
- No specific location preference as long as it's a good holiday destination for couples
- Countries which we DON'T wish to travel are: spain, US, France, Germany, Italy (traveled many times here)
- Read an analysis somewhere about the best $ value properties for SPG points: but doesn't help us much because many of the suggested properties were downtown locations. Why would I live in say downtown Moscow for a holiday?
- Don't wish to go beyond Category 6 hotels, so I'll get 3 free nights and buy 1 more with points+cash so we have a 5 day holiday.

Any thoughts?
Old Apr 22, 2013, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Not sure of your math, but Le Meridien Khao Lak (Thailand) is a great category 4 hotel. Beautiful property with good rooms and grounds, on a a very long stretch of very nice beach, with great, open-air, inexpensive beach restaurants and massage outlets within walking distance. Check out the reviews of it here at FT and at Tripadvisor.com. Two cautions:

1. Make sure you're going at the right time of year, and avoid the heart of the rainy season. December-February is probably best, though avoid the Xmas/New Year crush if you can.
2. That 2-4-1 BA award deal. will cost you a lot in extra charges...maybe $1,000 or more per ticket? Might still be worth it, but be aware that BA awards are far from free.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 3:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Not sure of your math, but Le Meridien Khao Lak (Thailand) is a great category 4 hotel. Beautiful property with good rooms and grounds, on a a very long stretch of very nice beach, with great, open-air, inexpensive beach restaurants and massage outlets within walking distance. Check out the reviews of it here at FT and at Tripadvisor.com. Two cautions:

1. Make sure you're going at the right time of year, and avoid the heart of the rainy season. December-February is probably best, though avoid the Xmas/New Year crush if you can.
2. That 2-4-1 BA award deal. will cost you a lot in extra charges...maybe $1,000 or more per ticket? Might still be worth it, but be aware that BA awards are far from free.
Hi, thanks for your suggestions. So for the 2-4-1 voucher, what's the best way to use it? I am new to the whole avios thing and started collecting miles only last year.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by AviosNewbie
Hi, thanks for your suggestions. So for the 2-4-1 voucher, what's the best way to use it? I am new to the whole avios thing and started collecting miles only last year.
Well, you'll get better advice at the BA forum, including the ins and outs of what BA inaccurately calls the fuel surcharges and other fees it tacks on to award flights. So my basic advice is to search and ask there, since folks there will know the system far better than I do. But a couple of observations:

1. Quite likely, the surcharges will be less originating in London than in the USA (which is what I did when using the 2-4-1). So on second thought I'm not certain they will be $1,000 per ticket. But they could still be hefty.
2. Whatever they are, you could look at the cost as simply the price you pay for a very cheap Club World ticket rather than as a free ticket. Lots of folks at the BA forum view it that way.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 7:40 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AC Altitude50
Cash and Points is a better use of Starwood points than free nights. You can prolong your holiday.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canalskater
Cash and Points is a better use of Starwood points than free nights. You can prolong your holiday.
+1. Good point.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 9:10 am

Programs: EX-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Originally Posted by AviosNewbie
Hi All, I have been reading FT for a while now, but this is my first post - can anyone suggest the best redemption options for 20k starwood points?

I have received the bonus from my Amex card and wondering what's the best way to use them.

My situation is:

- live in London
- have 100k avios plus the 2for1 BA voucher (which means I can reach until Cancun on the east and Beijing on the west in Club World with my wife)
- No specific location preference as long as it's a good holiday destination for couples
- Countries which we DON'T wish to travel are: spain, US, France, Germany, Italy (traveled many times here)
- Read an analysis somewhere about the best $ value properties for SPG points: but doesn't help us much because many of the suggested properties were downtown locations. Why would I live in say downtown Moscow for a holiday?
- Don't wish to go beyond Category 6 hotels, so I'll get 3 free nights and buy 1 more with points+cash so we have a 5 day holiday.

Any thoughts?
Because Austria is not on your list: Schlo Fuschl

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.