Wiki Posts
Search

50 Nights at SPG or 25 SPG + 25 Hyatt

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2013, 1:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN A-list, UA Silver, Hyatt Glob, HH DM, Marriott Titanium

I have a dilemma. I have planned around 50 hotel nights this year. I'm considering between 2 options:

1. Spend all of them at SPG properties and requialify for Plat + get 10 upgrade certs.
2. split them 25/25 between SPG and Hyatt and requiality for SPG Plat and Hyatt DM.

Advantages of option 1:
1. Get 10 upgrade certs.
2. Don't have to move from one hotel to another if I stay more than 1 night in a given city.
3. Advance faster towards lifetime Plat.
4. More SPG than Hyatt properties.
5. Award stays and C+P count for re-qualification.

Advantages of option 2:
1. Get 4 upgrade Hyatt certs confirmed at booking, which may be preferred than the 10 SPG certs given the difficulties in redeeming them described in the SPG forum.
2. Get free full breakfast with Hyatt.
3. Diversify: Sometimes Hyatt has much better properties at certain locations.

I'm curious what you guys think. The cost of the two options is similar.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 2:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IMO something else to consider is that SPG treats Plats who qualify with 50 nights much better than those who qualify by 25 stays. It's not just the ten SNAs, but almost more improtantly, your priority for Plat upgrades and just generally different treatment, including by hotel front desk staff and Plat Concierge phone agents.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 2:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN A-list, UA Silver, Hyatt Glob, HH DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IMO something else to consider is that SPG treats Plats who qualify with 50 nights much better than those who qualify by 25 stays. It's not just the ten SNAs, but almost more improtantly, your priority for Plat upgrades and just generally different treatment, including by hotel front desk staff and Plat Concierge phone agents.
Interesting. Is that really true? Do these agents (esp. hotel front desk staff) have access to that information? I remember reading before that the lurkers said that a Plat is a Plat, no matter how they qualify (unless the benefit is explicitly stated like upgrade certs, etc.). If true, that is indeed an important advantage for option 1.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 3:10 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
FDAs don't differentiate Plat25/Plat50/Plat75, so I don't agree with your statement.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by remymartin
FDAs don't differentiate Plat25/Plat50/Plat75, so I don't agree with your statement.
I'm with this. And I've been 25 stay guy for 5+ years and 50 night guy for 5+ years. My advice to the OP is option #2. SPG is still my go to, number 1 but it's awesome to have Hyatt in my back pocket - and they treat me like a king.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would go with Option 2- so you have always the Hyatt as a backup option.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 5:50 am
Suspended

Option 2. I'm working on the same thing now. Good to have a backup, always.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 7:09 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hilton Gold, RA, QF Gold, UA 1K

Option 2 - the 4 certificates are really useful in Hyatt. Plus there are some really good Hyatt properties around. SPG may charge similar price but it may not be as good
Old Apr 18, 2013, 7:27 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
I would tend to option 2 as well, but I would ask where you spend most of your nights?
If in Asia, I would say my UG rate as a Plat is upwards of 80-90%, so the SNA's are
not too important. If your stays are in North America, where the rate is about 10%,
the SNA's have a bit more value. I find Europe to be about 50-50.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 7:38 am
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Be aware that 25 nights is not sufficient to reach your status goals with either program. You will need 25 stays for SPG Plat and 25 stays for Hyatt Diamond. In order to accomplish that with the same number of nights, every stay will be for one night only. That's okay now and then, but it can be very tiring when switching back and forth between hotels over a long trip.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 7:52 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by remymartin
This was what we were all told, and I haven't noticed much of a change as a Plat50, but platinum members with ambassadors are definitely known by FDAs so I wouldn't be surprised if Plat 50s and 75s were also known somehow or given priority.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...ood-vip-9.html Check out post 127 mentioning that Platinum member with ambassadors are noted as CEMs by the FD. There's no evidence 50s & 75s are differentiated however.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 9:23 am

I am in a similar situation and decided for Option 2. While SPG is my go to program, I've found Hyatt to be great and I like changing things up a bit and having other options when traveling.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 9:50 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
IMO I would discount the #1 criteria being this suite confirmations and allow yourself to go with either program based on their quarterly promos. If Hyatt has the best one in Q3 or Q4 go with them. I'm sure the benefits of the better promo would outweigh the benefits of the suite nights IMO.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
I think it depends on what your travel projections are for 2014. Hyatt has a great program, but less properties in the areas I stay at.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:41 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
If you are seriously only going to do 50 nights and no more and your nights are not all mattress runs just to get status, option 1 would be the best. If you are doing your stays as say 10 X 5 night business stays, I can't imagine you would want to move around from hotel to hotel every night, store your luggage until the other hotel room is ready and repeat this every day. I would only recommend 2 if you are travelling alone and are just staying for the sole purpose of getting status. SPG promos are much more focused on nights now and if you take breakfast as the Platinum amenity you are not even worrying about losing the 500/250 point check in amenity. You can also take advantage of the Go Green program at many properties if you are staying for multiple nights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.