Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Issues arising from the changes to spg hotel categories and C&P rates on 'March 5'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Issues arising from the changes to spg hotel categories and C&P rates on 'March 5'

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2013, 7:16 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
im on the east coast. when i log on on my laptop the categories are up, when i logged on with my cell phone it was the old rates so i booked on my phone. may work for you.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dsquared37
It's only 7PM EST and call center is telling me the new categories have gone into effect already.

Edit: Apparently the changes are occurring on a timezone by timezone basis rather than having one trigger based in one location.
It is based on hotel local time. Not everyone in the world lives on EST.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...y-went-up.html
Old Mar 4, 2013, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
It's only 7PM EST and call center is telling me the new categories have gone into effect already.

Edit: Apparently the changes are occurring on a timezone by timezone basis rather than having one trigger based in one location.
Apparently not. Hotels in HI have already been adjusted up (despite it being ~ 4pm there), and C&P have disappeared as well.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 7:22 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
I made a C&P booking.. points haven't been deducted but they claimed it was 2800/nt. After the booking it stated 3500/nt + $55 (Cat 3 C&P rate). Now I look at my reservation online and it is saying 5000/nt + $75. (new 3->Cat4) Now which one will they honor?
Old Mar 4, 2013, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by hauteboy
I made a C&P booking.. points haven't been deducted but they claimed it was 2800/nt. After the booking it stated 3500/nt + $55 (Cat 3 C&P rate). Now I look at my reservation online and it is saying 5000/nt + $75. (new 3->Cat4) Now which one will they honor?
OK anyone making last minute bookings - time for screen shots!
Old Mar 4, 2013, 7:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier/LT Plat; SPG Plat/LT Gold; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat
My reservation made EARLIER today has the new C&P rate showing!

With the fiasco over how many yrs platinum I am (told 8 by 2 reps LAST yr and now told I need to get platinum for a 2nd time to get 9), early rates increases, and changing rates...

I think they need to get IT straightened out asap.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by CFFrost
OK anyone making last minute bookings - time for screen shots!
I should have printed it out sigh. may just make a regular points booking..
Old Mar 4, 2013, 7:32 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Apparently not. Hotels in HI have already been adjusted up (despite it being ~ 4pm there), and C&P have disappeared as well.
I was looking at moana surfrider and saw it as cat 6 on my lap top and logged on my cell phone and it was cat 5 so i booked 5 nights. weird.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 7:33 pm

I am in the same boat....just went to book a hotel (~9pm EST @ the hotel) and the rate already increased. I am just going to book now and hope for an adjustment in the near future....
Old Mar 4, 2013, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by CokeandTaco
I am in the same boat....just went to book a hotel (~9pm EST @ the hotel) and the rate already increased. I am just going to book now and hope for an adjustment in the near future....
I would at least try to call to make the booking. If you make a booking for an advertised rate, I doubt they would change it especially if you never raised you concerns ahead of time.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by exmike
I was looking at moana surfrider and saw it as cat 6 on my lap top and logged on my cell phone and it was cat 5 so i booked 5 nights. weird.
Yea I was looking at the Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas. I ended up not needing to book, but yesterday they had C&P Cat 6 for 8,000 sp & $175. Now no C&P, and 30,000 cat 7 free night. I don't think this property should be a category 7, but what do I know. It kinds of makes me wonder if next year there will be a category 8, or 9.

Edit to add: When I try to access it through the SPG app for android, it shows the hotel as a cat 7, but when I click through to see a free night price it only requires 20,000 points.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 7:49 pm

I would at least try to call to make the booking. If you make a booking for an advertised rate, I doubt they would change it especially if you never raised you concerns ahead of time.
That is a good point. I just tried to make the booking online and got this:

We're Sorry
The system is temporarily unavailable. For assistance, please call 888-625-5144 in the U.S. or Canada. Residents of all other countries, please see our Customer Contact Centers.
Thank you. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Guess I need to call....
Old Mar 4, 2013, 7:49 pm

And it seems to be based on midnight *hotel* time... so basically it is already too late to book anything in europe/asia.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 7:51 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
I called just now to ask about a discrepancy on a Morocco hotel. It has already switched categories. The agent told me that is because they are rolling over at midnight hotel time.

However, now that I check US properties, I see that they all seem to have moved category, even if it is still March 4 hotel time.

Update: I just called and they took care of it by phone at the old rates.

Last edited by andymo99; Mar 4, 2013 at 7:59 pm
Old Mar 4, 2013, 7:51 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
It isn't 5 Mar yet in California, and the hotel I am looking to book has already moved up. Disappointing from SPG to not honor their own stated deadline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.