Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Post Your Platinum Upgrade Failures [2013 - onward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 6, 2014, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Please use this thread to post failures or difficulties in securing Platinum upgrades, based on the published benefits of the Platinum level, which are :

"Upgrades to best available room at check-in, including Standard Suites"

qualified by

"Subject to availability at check-in for the entire length of the stay, provided the room was not booked through a pre-paid third-party channel.
Specialty Suites such as, but not limited to, premium view, Presidential, Honeymoon, and multiple bedroom suites are excluded. This benefit does not apply to all-suite hotels. Best rooms are identified by each property and may not include upgraded Towers level accommodations unless Towers level accommodations were booked originally.
The upgrade benefit is available for one room for the personal use of the Member only, regardless of the number of additional rooms purchased by the Member. This benefit is not offered at Aloft and Element properties"

For a detailed discussion of the Platinum upgrade benefit, see the wiki at I'm Platinum. Why didn't I get a complimentary suite upgrade? [Master thread].

Starwood do not publish which of the various categories of Suites at each hotel are 'Standard', and which are not, so we don't know which Suites are in the 'Upgrade Pool', and which are excluded. So, if a Suite is available under the terms and qualifications of the benefit, but an upgrade is denied, and it is not absolutely clear that the Suite in question is not a "Standard Suite", then we should report that as a failure.

If you only manage to secure a rightful upgrade after challenging the front desk on check-in, or have instances where SNAs (Suite Night Upgrade) were not honoured, then you may report this too.

You may also report instances where suites are showing as available online, but not actually available at the hotel, due to (apparent) differences in real-time availability online.

Please post in standard format :

Property :
Dates(s) :
Room booked :
Room received : (if different than above):
Award stay :: (yes/no), type (C+P, FAN, FWN, FRN, SPG50, etc.)
BRG stay : (yes/no)
SNA(s) requested : (yes/no)
Comments :

...and include in the comments, particularly, the 'non-Standard' Suite category that you failed to secure an upgrade to.
Print Wikipost

Post Your Platinum Upgrade Failures [2013 - onward]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2013, 7:57 pm
uxb
Original Poster

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
OK, understand. Which brings me to this question.

Are we using this thread to post what a person feels is not an upgrade or are we listing properties that don't upgrade per the SPG T&C?
Post what you feel is a failure based on the T+C (which upgrades Plats to the best available room, including standard suites, at check-in). Failures may include instances where the front desk is challenged on upgrade availability. Failures may also include instances where SNAs requests were not honoured.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This is standard for a Four Points. Moreover, suite upgrades aren't a SPG program benefit at some brands, including Four Points, aloft, Sheraton Suites, and Element.
i've gotten some really good suite upgrades at four points, both in the us & around the world....in cities like la, bangkok, jaipur, pune, philly & dubai i always stay at a four points & i almost always get a suite upgrade....

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Also, in the USA, robes are standard in club level rooms except at aloft and Four Points, but slippers are common only in upper end properties (StR, some LC) and suites, although in some places you can request them from housekeeping just as an elite can request a robe in an ordinary room. YMMV.
i agree....& i'm not complaining....but i would not term an upgrade to a deluxe room as an 'upgrade' when the traditional & deluxe rooms turn out to be identical in terms of everything like size, amenities, etc....
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:25 am
uxb
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Keyser
i agree....& i'm not complaining....but i would not term an upgrade to a deluxe room as an 'upgrade' when the traditional & deluxe rooms turn out to be identical in terms of everything like size, amenities, etc....
+1, that's a Hilton upgrade.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 5:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by uxb
Post what you feel is a failure based on the T+C (which upgrades Plats to the best available room, including standard suites, at check-in). Failures may include instances where the front desk is challenged on upgrade availability. Failures may also include instances where SNAs requests were not honoured.
Is it possible to add this to the original post?

This way people know you want failures base don the T&C, not what they "feel" is not an upgrade.

Also, might I suggest a "length of stay" label? That is also an indicator of upgrade. Many people fail to realize if a room type isn't available the entire stay, then they may not be upgraded.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 5:44 am
uxb
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
Is it possible to add this to the original post?

This way people know you want failures base don the T&C, not what they "feel" is not an upgrade.

Also, might I suggest a "length of stay" label? That is also an indicator of upgrade. Many people fail to realize if a room type isn't available the entire stay, then they may not be upgraded.
Dates should cover length of stay. I will add the rest to the OP. I also added a field for SNA requests.

Last edited by uxb; Jan 15, 2013 at 5:49 am
Old Jan 15, 2013, 6:19 pm

Programs: DL GM, Hhonors Gold, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Keyser
i've gotten some really good suite upgrades at four points, both in the us & around the world....in cities like la, bangkok, jaipur, pune, philly & dubai i always stay at a four points & i almost always get a suite upgrade....
The Four Points in Brentwood, TN upgraded me to a suite last year. Before that I didn't even know a Four Points could have suites in it.

Great property BTW, very good condition. Even the restaurant.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 3:01 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
post your platinum upgrade SO-SOs?

I think we need a New thread. I just checked in today and got upgraded to a 'deluxe' view Room. I'm travelling alone so I don't mind not getting a better Room, but I wouldn't call this a success and not really a failure either. I get the feeling we're going to see a lot of these So-so upgrades this year..
Old Jan 18, 2013, 3:59 am
uxb
Original Poster

Originally Posted by remymartin
I think we need a New thread. I just checked in today and got upgraded to a 'deluxe' view Room. I'm travelling alone so I don't mind not getting a better Room, but I wouldn't call this a success and not really a failure either. I get the feeling we're going to see a lot of these So-so upgrades this year..
This sounds like a failure if you were at a property, and standard suites were available. You should post the details here. However, if standard suites were not available, then you would post on upgrade success. I will try to track both failures and successes starting mid-February. Thanks!
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:22 am

Programs: UA 1K 3MM , Marriott Amb, Hyatt D, HH D, Hertz PC
Booked Studio Suite at Le Meridien SF this weekend 1/18-21. Was told "of course we have an upgrade for you jchiguy1". Ended up in same room type (01 tier) booked.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 7:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by jchiguy1
Booked Studio Suite at Le Meridien SF this weekend 1/18-21. Was told "of course we have an upgrade for you jchiguy1". Ended up in same room type (01 tier) booked.
Really? So what did you book and what were you assigned, be interested to see what you list (see first post) and if you contacted CCS?
Old Jan 27, 2013, 9:06 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Property: Westin Grande Sukhumvit
Dates: Jan 27 - Jan 28
Room booked: Deluxe king bed
Room received (if different than above): Executive club King bed smoking
Award stay: c+p
BRG stay: (yes/no) no
Comments: Deluxe suites available online. Previous reports on FT of upgrades to these
Old Jan 28, 2013, 2:43 am
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Property: Westin Las Vegas
Dates: Jan 27 - Jan 28
Room received 2 Double beds
Award stay: no
Comments: This weekend this property was fully committed. The night I checked in there were 7 Lifetime Plats and 10 Ambassador guests. The property only has 10 suites total.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 2:49 am
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Property: Four Points Schiller Park (Chicago area)
Dates: Jan 23 - Jan 24
Room received (if different than above): Deluxe king
Award stay: no
Comments: This property needs definite "help" and I wouldn't recommend staying here until SPG does something about this franchise. I am not commenting about upgrades. The hotel is rather disgusting in many ways.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 8:16 pm

Programs: DL Diamond MM, SPG Platinum, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, National Exec Elite
Property: Westin Mex City Santa Fe
Dates: Jan 27 - Jan 29 (2 nights)
Room booked: Deluxe King
Room received Deluxe King
Award stay: No
Comments: Hotel is super quiet, and the designated "standard suites" available for booking as well as all other room types. Hotel appears to be newly following an "only SNA" upgrade policy based on convo with front desk.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 8:22 am

Programs: SQ PPS, OZ Gold, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Platinum, IHG Diamond
Property: Le Meridien Cyberport Hong Kong
Dates: Jan 23 - Jan 26 (3 nights)
Room booked: Smart room
Room received Smart room (on a higher floor)
Award stay: No
Comments: No lounge available. Breakfast offered at the restaurant (small and crowded). Evening happy hour offered at the bar but with a special limited drink menu..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.