Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Mandatory $10 Daily Facilities Charge - Starts 1/1/13 at Le Parker Meridien NYC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mandatory $10 Daily Facilities Charge - Starts 1/1/13 at Le Parker Meridien NYC

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:38 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by STARFLEET
While I agree that this new fee may be disappointing, I have to say that it will take more than $10 to deter me from taking advantage of what we love about LPM. I pay more for a hotel room near Central Park, because Brooklyn is too far from the polar bears!
As many have posted, I should not have to paid for anything I do not use. And if I do use the internet, it should be comped for Plats as stated in T&C. Another issue is my company will not pay for the resort fee which will end up coming out of my own pocket and I myself don't want to paid this when using points for my stay. It may be $10 today but maybe $15 next yr. As an example, I was in Kauai and stayed at the Westin on points and at the end of my stay, there was a $75 resort fee tab. And when I moved to the Hyatt, the resort fee was comped because of my Diamond status.

What is more concerning is this may be a trail balloon to see if spg can expand it to other hotels in the city or the country. This is just another form of money grab - no different from the airline baggage fees. It would be easier if LPM just hike the rate by $10 than do this.

And now that Lisa has confirmed there are no plans to comp plats, I for one will not be staying here on business or pleasure.

FWIW - the Shearton Towers is only a few more blocks from Central Park and the rates are lower and no resort fee, for now.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hotelfanatic

What is more concerning is this may be a trail balloon to see if spg can expand it to other hotels in the city or the country. This is just another form of money grab - no different from the airline baggage fees. It would be easier if LPM just hike the rate by $10 than do this.
1- AFAIK SPG doesnt own a single Hotel anywhere, *W corp does but most Hotels are Franchised id bet the LPM isnt corp owned as the Hawaiian Hotels arent either

2- they cant add it to the rate and then get it from those staying on Pts or C&P

B-
if they add it to the rate most likley they will lose some reses as people will see that HotelX is $10 cheaper per day and go with that 1. Pretty much why those Carriers who charge a surcharge dont add it to the Fare instead of having it as a separate fee

3- yea I agree that as more and more Hotels start playing with How can we scam our guests out of more $$$ others will climb aboard
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:41 am

Programs: Hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
As many have posted, I should not have to paid for anything I do not use. And if I do use the internet, it should be comped for Plats as stated in T&C. Another issue is my company will not pay for the resort fee which will end up coming out of my own pocket and I myself don't want to paid this when using points for my stay. It may be $10 today but maybe $15 next yr. As an example, I was in Kauai and stayed at the Westin on points and at the end of my stay, there was a $75 resort fee tab. And when I moved to the Hyatt, the resort fee was comped because of my Diamond status.
Are you saying the Grand Hyatt Kauai waived its resort fee for diamonds?
That must be recent. The only Hyatt I know of waving the resort fee is the Hyatt Regency Honolulu.
Please clarify.
Thanks
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:29 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by craz
1- AFAIK SPG doesnt own a single Hotel anywhere, *W corp does but most Hotels are Franchised id bet the LPM isnt corp owned as the Hawaiian Hotels arent either
Pretty sure *wood still owns a handful of those Hawaiian properties. Certainly at least the Westin Maui and the Sheraton Kauai
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sbtinme
Pretty sure *wood still owns a handful of those Hawaiian properties. Certainly at least the Westin Maui and the Sheraton Kauai
Correct, the Westin Maui and Sheraton Kauai are Starwood owned.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....=irol-property
Old Dec 12, 2012, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by traveler18
Originally Posted by LPMguestRelations
THIS CHANGE IS SPECIFICALLY INTENDED TO HELP GUESTS PAY LESS.
I agree this is at best far-fetched.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
I disagree. Also speaking only as a poster and only for myself find shooting the messenger simply because we dislike or disbelieve the message solves nothing and hope we can maintain a degree of civility in expressing our opinions regarding this "enhancement".
Well said. ^

Cheers
Old Dec 12, 2012, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
It's too bad there is not a comment section for when someone cancels a rez or chooses to not book. Getting stats on why they are loosing revenue will hit home a lot quicker than anything we say on FT. Unfortunately this may go the way of property reviews, competitors post bad stays and property staff posts wonderful stays.

Unlike stated on the State Farm commercial, just because it's on the internet does not make it true.
I send a email to the GM to explain my reasons in such instances. Just did it a couple weeks ago, in fact, when I wasn't happy with how a property in NYC was handling my booking.

Ended up staying at the LPM, ironically. Stay and service were outstanding. I certainly would not hesitate to return for the sake of $10 measly bucks.

Cheers,
Old Dec 12, 2012, 3:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by billxmeredith
Correct, the Westin Maui and Sheraton Kauai are Starwood owned.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....=irol-property
the ones in HNL arent corp and I thought they were the 1st to tag us with this Resort Fee for what are really non-resort properties.While Maui & Kaui are more akin to being a Resort since they arent city based and thought *W just went along with all the others

On Oahu I think only the HHV,JW and Turtle Bay up north are the only real resorts on the Island could be I left 1 out. While on The BI,Kaui and Maui almost every Hotel is a Resort atmosphere
Old Dec 12, 2012, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by Flews
...... I certainly would not hesitate to return for the sake of $10 measly bucks.

Cheers,
How much would it take for you to hesitate?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by clublounger
How much would it take for you to hesitate?
The $90 charge per cot per night per child at the St. Regis.

Cheers,
Old Dec 12, 2012, 4:47 pm

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Flews
I certainly would not hesitate to return for the sake of $10 measly bucks.
IMHO, it's not about $10 measily bucks -- it's about a practice that most of us find under handed, misleading, and shady. We're talking about what, 3% of the base rate? Really? If $10 measily bucks is no big deal, why can't they bake it into the rate? Who would even notice? Keep in mind that this property already did something that I've never seen before -- charge a pool access fee. What's wrong with keeping that?

I'm a big proponent of fair and honest pricing. I head straight to the rate T&C on everything I book through SPG.com (the place that describes taxes and cancellation policy) and if one can't list their fees there, then I really don't think much of them. That practice generates a lot more ill will than a $10 increase ever will. Not to mention that these fees can't be expensed or waived on award bookings. At the W Viques, it's what, $60/night? I like unbundling, but only when it presents me a real choice.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by dcstudent
If it makes you feel better, a $10 fee is trivial in as so much as $10 a day would not make or break my ability to stay at a hotel in Manhattan. I just don't like being charged a mandatory fee for things I'm not going to use or that are supposed to be free for me.

Oh, and I don't like being told that this fee is "going to save me money."
See, that's the thing. Consumer sales and marketing is actually a very complex business designed to extract the most amount of money possible out of a given consumer's pocket. I prefer dealing with businesses who are fair, open, and honest about their pricing. I don't like dealing with businesses who have to engage in shenanigans to get me to hit the "buy" button. I consider that to be somewhat disrespectful and generally insulting. It does not start the relationship out on the right foot. It creates tension and hostility when it isn't warranted. I get insulted when someone thinks they need to tell me that a given practice is for my own good. I'm a well-educated, reasonably intelligent human being -- I think I can figure out if something is for my own good, or "is going to save me money," thank you very much.

Companies complain about customers who are out for a deal, and not to establish a long term business relationship with them. I complain about companies who can't be upfront about their pricing.

As a side note, I'm an avid user of Groupon. Right now they're running a "Groupon Getaways" deal for a property in Myrtle Beach, SC. The fine print on the deal (which I always read) says that the rate does not include a $30 checkout fee and 25.4% tax. I called Groupon today to complain about the deal. A checkout fee is a non standard fee that should be included in the rate. Furthermore, the taxes looked high, and since SPG likes to break them all down, I did a check at neighboring properties. Turns out that there's only a 15.4% tax in Myrtle Beach, so it looks like the property is taking 10% for themselves and lying about it.

I'm a fan of open and honest pricing. If you don't want to be open and honest, I generally don't want to be a customer.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 5:07 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by DHAST
See, that's the thing. Consumer sales and marketing is actually a very complex business designed to extract the most amount of money possible out of a given consumer's pocket. I prefer dealing with businesses who are fair, open, and honest about their pricing. I don't like dealing with businesses who have to engage in shenanigans to get me to hit the "buy" button. I consider that to be somewhat disrespectful and generally insulting. It does not start the relationship out on the right foot. It creates tension and hostility when it isn't warranted. I get insulted when someone thinks they need to tell me that a given practice is for my own good. I'm a well-educated, reasonably intelligent human being -- I think I can figure out if something is for my own good, or "is going to save me money," thank you very much.

Companies complain about customers who are out for a deal, and not to establish a long term business relationship with them. I complain about companies who can't be upfront about their pricing.

As a side note, I'm an avid user of Groupon. Right now they're running a "Groupon Getaways" deal for a property in Myrtle Beach, SC. The fine print on the deal (which I always read) says that the rate does not include a $30 checkout fee and 25.4% tax. I called Groupon today to complain about the deal. A checkout fee is a non standard fee that should be included in the rate. Furthermore, the taxes looked high, and since SPG likes to break them all down, I did a check at neighboring properties. Turns out that there's only a 15.4% tax in Myrtle Beach, so it looks like the property is taking 10% for themselves and lying about it.

I'm a fan of open and honest pricing. If you don't want to be open and honest, I generally don't want to be a customer.
Well put. And thanks for taking the time to speak-up on bull - I'd love to know the property so I can avoid it.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Well put. And thanks for taking the time to speak-up on bull - I'd love to know the property so I can avoid it.
You're welcome. The property is the Prince Resort North Myrtle Beach.

I do a lot of complaining on the internet (well, actually I don't, I take it on the chin most of the time) but this is the one topic that ires me enough to actually complain about it. On top of the Groupon complaint, I decided to drop a line to the GM; I think it's the first time I've done so at a property I've never stayed at. Heck, it's the first time I've dropped a line to a GM, period.

I don't know why the "hidden fees" topic bugs me so much. I know there's a psychological factor called "anchoring" that is at work here, but have no idea why the anchoring topic gets to me as much as it does.

Strangely, on the topic of unbundling, I'm ok with the airlines charging separately for optional services. This is especially true with AA's new offerings, which I like a lot. I don't know that I will actually purchase them, but as a non-status flier, I like the fact they're offering me additional services at an affordable price. I do consider checked baggage to be an optional service (stems from my days as a ramp agent traveling standby -- try telling my wife a checked bag is "optional.") I think the painful thing here is that bags used to be a service that was included in the price. $50 round trip is a steep "increase" in price on most domestic fares.

There's a few things going on with the LPM fee that drive me bonkers. First, they're charging me extra for something that is supposed to be free as part of my status. They don't advertise the fee in a place that is natural for a frequent traveler to look. I never read the "special conditions"; I always read the rate calculation page, and below, the cancellation T&C. Either one makes me pissed, together they make me really pissed. Third, mandatory fees for optional services just suck. Fourth, these are fees that aren't waived on award stays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.