Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Mandatory $10 Daily Facilities Charge - Starts 1/1/13 at Le Parker Meridien NYC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mandatory $10 Daily Facilities Charge - Starts 1/1/13 at Le Parker Meridien NYC

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Keyser
definitely interested in what happened here as well....i avoided this hotel during my ny stay last month but i would like to stay here again when i'm back in april....but not until this is sorted out....
So an update for those who are interested at what's going on at the LPM in relation to the facilities charge. As a bit of background, I've been a regular here (1 - 2 X per week) since mid-December to take advantage of the SPG Le Meridien brand promo.

I had been watching things here on FT prior to my first January stay with my first visit a couple of days after New Years. I was surprised at check in that the front desk agent glossed over the fee. While showing me the check-in form, they simply said "Oh, you've been here before so you know the drill." I had to point out the facilities charge and indicate that it was new. The explanation was "well, it's like a resort fee that we just implemented." Given that I had been handed the resort fee comment, I immediately responded to inquire what my alternative ammenity would be under the SPG T&Cs. The surprising response to this was "We've been trying to contact SPG to find out what we're allowed to offer but they won't call us back."

The above seemed like a load of BS, although it was only a day or two later tha the news of Starwood's suit against the Parker Meridien properties came to light, so I guess it may be possible.

Regardless, I indicated that I was unwilling to pay the fee, scratched it from the checkin form and checked in. During checkout it was still there, so I told the front desk of my unwillingess; they indicated they would check with management and would try to resolve. A few hours later I recieved a folio via email with the resort fee intact and no commentary from the property.

Rather than battle, I simply contacted the travel department of the consulting firm for which I work. They indicated that we have a global policy with Starwood whereby resort fees are not permitted. Eventually they had to reach out to our firm's Starwood Global Account Manager to get this settled. The couple of fees I had incurred were backed out, and I have not received since.

The mandatory $10 facilites fee continues to be displayed and I hear a guest complain or inquire every couple of times I check in. The property seems to be holding very firm unless contractually obligated otherwise. Just to be clear, unless you have some overriding agreement that states otherwise, this property is going to charge you the $10 daily fee. Those whom I've heard complain have met nothing but resistance from the front desk staff. This property is clearly willing to dig in their heels.

As far as general Platinum treatment, my experience is that the property continues to adhere to the rules. I have been upgraded to the junior suite as a reasonable rate and have been offered the 500 point ammenity for all stays. I will say that points posting has been pretty bad lately and I've had my ambassador chasing down a lot of missing stays / points. Not sure why that's occuring. I do want to stress though that I've seen nothing to indicate that they are refusing to meet the Platinum T&Cs, but can't speak for ammenities other than points.

As far as Lisa the guest relations manager goes, while I have no evidence, I highly doubt that she's been fired. Given that the Parker properties are in court with Starwood (who in turn is seeking to terminate the management contract), I have to imagine that employees are not going to be permitted to post of public message boards. Any good attorney would make sure that's locked down and I bet that management has done as much. You can count me in the group that Lisa's spin on certain items was over the top and at times somewhat insulting (e.g. the "this fee will save you money" comment). Also, looks like her "we're sticklers for the rules" comment maybe missed the mark given that management is essentially being charged with fraud.

While I have no information, I'm guessing the two parties will find a way to settle (unless the financials of the Parker group don't allow) and that they'll be deflagged in reasonable time.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum
thanks y>r>n that is very helpful.

our reservation was made thro the travel dept of one of the biggest tech companies in the world. which likewise has a global agreement with starwood which does not permit them to charge resort fees. also explained that at check in desk and the clerk went away, came back and said this was not true. in view of what's going on:
-the lawsuit with spg over contract terms
-the disappearance of the customer service lady
-the peeling paint on the wall of our 8th floor "platinum upgrade" junior suite (and somewhat tired decor generally)
-the hotel's clumsy attempts to avoid paying for spg points & need to resort (pun intended) to deep discount sites to make its occupancy rates
-& this sleazy fee as evidence of a desperate need to collect non taxable short term cash even at the cost of alienating long term business

...i'm wondering whether the management company/owner of lpm is actually in process of going bust.

time will tell i guess. the location is great--tho not much of a big deal in february ;-(

perhaps a new owner who works more amicably with spg will bring the place back up?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
thanks for the update yes>reservations>no....i'm going to wait till they sort out their mess with spg before staying here again....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.