Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Platinum Suite Upgrade depending by room category booked

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Suite Upgrade depending by room category booked

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2012, 2:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: millemiglia - milesmore- spg - goldpassport - priority club- the leader club - others
Originally Posted by tyn
Why not on your next stay have a nice polite chat with a manager to better understand what is their select standard suite = your upgrade entitlement (if available)? As you are a regular guest at the hotel and brought them business I suppose you have met someone from the hotel management
Yes you are right. Not always I like to make a case in hotels (usually I have very short stay as this time) but in this specific case I did, I call and asked to speak with someone to have better understanding of their policy as I explained; they made me speak with the same person that had checked in me. And she told me clearly what the policies are as I pointed out. But I found those confusing....that's why I'm asking opinion on the subject.

I'm (I think I am ) a frequent traveller but only recently Starwood Plat...my experience so far has not been rewarding...so I'm trying to understand more about it and how to set my expectation.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 6:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You are entitled as a Plat on an eligible booking to get a standard suite if available at check in (or preassigned to you). This means that the hotel doesn't have to give you a better suite, even if some of these are given as upgrades to other guest. However, the hotel cannot hold back available standard suites because it hopes that they might be sold later that day.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by The_Daddy
What you define "gracious and generous and when you state "they are going above and beyond", you are subjective interpretating a "space of manouver" within the programme of each individual property that instead, in my subjective opinion, create confusion and sometimes frustration (maybe in other case can generate as well unexpected positive surprise). But I'm not for surprise, i would like to know what I should expect, and what not. If platinum checking in the same day of arrival after me have been upgrade to Diplomatic and De luxe, while I have been not because they said they are solid booked....I think I have a point.
And if they said that those suite are not in the programme while I have seen them giving them out to other platinum....I think I have a point too.
And if they said that rooms available cannot be given to me because they want to hold in case of incoming reservation (I repeat: checked in at 08. pm and checking out 08 am the morning after)....I thin I have a point too.

The property can of course confronts guests....but it will be each time an interpretation of the programme and we will never know if, as someone correctly just said (IMHO), that's a policy in place of ir they are making up rules to fit the error: because those rules are not written anywhere and in my case they are not generating a benefit, actually viceversa. We are both assuming here: but I was there, I have seen it, and i don't think they were gracious and generous. Actually the opposite.
And all this happens because the programme is discretionally enforced.

I appreciate your vision and I found completely logical all of of your comments. But you seems to believe they are over generously treating guests while I have the impression they "manipulate" the programme based on their needs.
But you keep saying the programme and suggesting that the hotel is not following the SPG program for Platinum Upgrades.

Everything that you stated as your experience at this hotel in your original post suggests that the hotel is 100% following the SPG program.

What you are complaining about is that the hotel also has its own internal program quite apart from the SPG program whereby it also upgrades Platinum members who book higher category rooms to suite categories higher in level than that dictated by the SPG Platinum Upgrade policy.

But I'm not for surprise, i would like to know what I should expect, and what not
The hotel has very clearly demonstrated/told you what you should expect when you book a standard room and it is exactly what SPG policy mandates - an upgrade to a standard suite. Over and beyond that they have told you that if you were to book a higher category room the hotel itself goes beyond the requirements of the SPG program and upgrades to even better suites.

Saying I'm not for surprise. I would like to know what I should expect is really asking the hotels to only provide the bare minimum upgrade required by the SPG program because anything over and above an upgrade to the best available room or select standard suite is not something that you can expect or that you are entitled to.

Once a hotel has provided the upgrade to level that is required by the SPG program any further benefit is totally up to them. The hotel is perfectly entitled to decide how to allocate its rooms. It might allocate Deluxe Suites to Platinum members who book Club level rooms or it might allocate them to Platinum members who are very frequent guests at that particular hotel or it might even allocate them to non-Platinum members who provide a lot of revenue to that individual hotel. They could provide those super upgrades based on hair colour if they wanted to although I would hope and expect that they would use one of the other rationales listed above.

Expecting and demanding what you are not entitled to is the quickest way IMHO to discourage the hotels from ever providing more than the bare minimum that is stipulated by the SPG program. There are enough hotels that don't even provide what is stipulated in the program in terms of upgrades to a standard suite - those are the hotels we need to be fighting with/complaining to SPG about, not the ones like the one you are describing that are providing your Platinum entitlement
Old Nov 8, 2012, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We really need to know which property this is in reference to so that we can know if Junior Suite is the best select standard suite or not.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
But I'm not for surprise, i would like to know what I should expect, and what not. If platinum checking in the same day of arrival after me have been upgrade to Diplomatic and De luxe, while I have been not because they said they are solid booked....I think I have a point.
And if they said that those suite are not in the programme while I have seen them giving them out to other platinum....I think I have a point too.
Not every suite is part of the programme and not every Platinum member is treated the same. And certainly the booked category plays a roll. Assuming they have 5 available select standard suites and 3 available better suites and 20Platinum members to come. Who, do you believe, will get these?

The better suites and the standard suites are certainly primiarily for (i) regulars, (ii) members having already booked a higher category and (iii) Platinum + members, in particular those with an Ambassador taking care of this. The other Platinum members are further down the foodchain and from a commercial point of view this is the way I would do it, too. You know what you can expect: A chance for an upgrade everywhere, better upgrades with the hotels you visit frequently and better opportunities for those with several stays. A Platinum member can be am member with 25 one night stays and it can be a member with more than 100 nights. This certainly makes a difference. From what I read from your original post you are not the highest in the foodchain....
Old Nov 8, 2012, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: millemiglia - milesmore- spg - goldpassport - priority club- the leader club - others
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
But you keep saying the programme and suggesting that the hotel is not following the SPG program for Platinum Upgrades.

Everything that you stated as your experience at this hotel in your original post suggests that the hotel is 100% following the SPG program.

What you are complaining about is that the hotel also has its own internal program quite apart from the SPG program whereby it also upgrades Platinum members who book higher category rooms to suite categories higher in level than that dictated by the SPG Platinum Upgrade policy.

The hotel has very clearly demonstrated/told you what you should expect when you book a standard room and it is exactly what SPG policy mandates - an upgrade to a standard suite. Over and beyond that they have told you that if you were to book a higher category room the hotel itself goes beyond the requirements of the SPG program and upgrades to even better suites.

Saying I'm not for surprise. I would like to know what I should expect is really asking the hotels to only provide the bare minimum upgrade required by the SPG program because anything over and above an upgrade to the best available room or select standard suite is not something that you can expect or that you are entitled to.

Once a hotel has provided the upgrade to level that is required by the SPG program any further benefit is totally up to them. The hotel is perfectly entitled to decide how to allocate its rooms. It might allocate Deluxe Suites to Platinum members who book Club level rooms or it might allocate them to Platinum members who are very frequent guests at that particular hotel or it might even allocate them to non-Platinum members who provide a lot of revenue to that individual hotel. They could provide those super upgrades based on hair colour if they wanted to although I would hope and expect that they would use one of the other rationales listed above.

Expecting and demanding what you are not entitled to is the quickest way IMHO to discourage the hotels from ever providing more than the bare minimum that is stipulated by the SPG program. There are enough hotels that don't even provide what is stipulated in the program in terms of upgrades to a standard suite - those are the hotels we need to be fighting with/complaining to SPG about, not the ones like the one you are describing that are providing your Platinum entitlement
Basically, I think you could easily be 100% right but, I believe, you forget to add in that the hotels has not been following the programme 100% and they have not, as you assume, threated me with white gloves because :
1) In my first experience I was not upgraded as a platinum, rooms were available.
2) In my second experience I was not upgraded. I reminded them of my status and my previous experience, asked for explanation...had to wait to get, as you said, and only after request, the minimum. I don't know to you, but to me this is already very annoiyng and It's not my fault if really something does not work in their system.
3) When I phoned from the room to just ask what the upgrade policy was I was told that no better rooms were available. I had to give factual evidence that indeed there were available several rooms of different kind.
4) I was then told that those rooms were hold in case of reservation. I had to remind them that first of all it was 08. pm and I was living at 08. am next morning and that the best room in the pool was supposed to be given to me.
Now, if you follow what above
a) I saw them giving much better room to platinum when available;
b) they indirectly confirmed those room were part of the pool because insisted in telling me that there were just no better room available and after they wanted to hold for incoming reservation.
It was a logical consequence for me to believe that those room were part ot the upgrade pool. Please remind that when I call them my question was "would you be so kind to tell me for my future reference what is the best room you upgrade platinum when available?" as easy as that.
5) When they were forced to admit that better room were available (I did not demanded it, I only asked for the above reported information), and that they had to give it to me if part of the pool, they stated those rooms are in no way to be considered for platinum. It was here that I gave again factual evidence of what I had saw with my eyes some weeks earlier. Yes, those rooms were given to Platinum, easily.
Only after one hour of jumping around (and several intentional or less intentional lies) I was told that the category booked influenced the room level you could be upgraded to.

I don't know why you are putting it in a way that I was demanding and/or expecting something I was not entitled to. This is uncorrect. I was very happy with the room and just wanted to now better they policy because i was confused and I wanted a clear information to set my expectation accordingly. This was not provided. They jumped on evident lies that I had to confront with factual evidence. And you know that can be often challenging for a guest as far as only the hotel knows what lies behind the desk.

Finally, I have nothing against this property and maybe hotels can have an internal policy (can they? how confusing can this become?); but you should agree with me that those policy should be made clear and understable for guests and not hided with lies of circumstance.

How all of this is becoming me to force the hotel to provide the bare minum I have not understood as well as I have not understood why you think the hotel has acted so brillantly in providing my platinum entitlment if it tooks me to fight and to go trough several unintentional mistakes (let's give them the benefit) to get the....bare minimum (and only at my second stay).
Old Nov 8, 2012, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Not every suite is part of the programme and not every Platinum member is treated the same. And certainly the booked category plays a roll. Assuming they have 5 available select standard suites and 3 available better suites and 20Platinum members to come. Who, do you believe, will get these?

The better suites and the standard suites are certainly primiarily for (i) regulars, (ii) members having already booked a higher category and (iii) Platinum + members, in particular those with an Ambassador taking care of this. The other Platinum members are further down the foodchain and from a commercial point of view this is the way I would do it, too. You know what you can expect: A chance for an upgrade everywhere, better upgrades with the hotels you visit frequently and better opportunities for those with several stays. A Platinum member can be am member with 25 one night stays and it can be a member with more than 100 nights. This certainly makes a difference. From what I read from your original post you are not the highest in the foodchain....
I know, you are right....I might not be that high in the food chain as you said, but I think I'm a very valuable customer. I have started focusing on the SPG programme since few months. I already topped 50 nights and will easily get to 75 by the end of the year....and i started around april/may.
Most of my stays are at top properties in leading town and I have booked and payed several times for one or two bedroom or specialty suite at W, St. Regis, Westin....I'm trying to be their customer...but trust me they are not doing their part enough to keep me loyal
Old Nov 8, 2012, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by TerryK
We really need to know which property this is in reference to so that we can know if Junior Suite is the best select standard suite or not.
I would expect (intuitively, not from any written policy) that the basic category of suite (in this case the junior suite) is the standard suite just as for award redemption a standard room is the lowest category of room and not classic rooms + deluxe rooms.

If a hotel has a hierarchy of suites that goes: Junior suite, Deluxe Suite, Diplomatic Suite, Presidential Suite , then it seems to me reasonable to assume that the Junior Suite category is the select standard suite and not any of the other categories up the hierarchy.

I understand that some hotels have no suites that are considered select standard suites for Platinum upgrade purposes but I think it unlikely that for those hotels that do have suites so classified that these suites would be anything other than the lowest category of suite
Old Nov 8, 2012, 9:10 am
Original Poster

I'm a little bit hesitating to name the property. The reason is that, while I did not had a great experience recently, I like the property somehow and I want to consider mine an unfortunate circumstance.
I have seen them threating really well other platinum as i said...
Old Nov 8, 2012, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Sorry to quote you again....I wanted to give more information about the suite package that this hotel offers and just went to their webpage and....ops...I found out that the room I was supposed to have a Junior Suite, was supposed to face the main square and to have a large comfortable siting area.
My room did not feature the view and the confortable siting area fantastically designed on the web site...there was not!
I hope it's not my fault if there was a building outside the window of my room obstructing the view (and the square is not behind it) and if the sofa was missing

BTW they have listed:
Junior
Executive
De Luxe
Diplomatic
Presidential

as far as the best standard select suite I can confirm the front desk person told me it is the junior suite....if you have booked a classic room
Old Nov 8, 2012, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm a little bit hesitating to name the property. The reason is that, while I did not had a great experience recently, I like the property somehow and I want to consider mine an unfortunate circumstance.
I have seen them threating really well other platinum as i said...
Without knowing the property, it could well be that Junior Suite is the select standard suite for Platinum. In that case, there is no complaint as they have followed the T&C of the SPG. There is nothing to prevent the property from going above and beyond the T&C of the program to upgrade those who booked higher rates or are known guests to suites outside of the program.

...BTW they have listed:
Junior
Executive
De Luxe
Diplomatic
Presidential

as far as the best standard select suite I can confirm the front desk person told me it is the junior suite....if you have booked a classic room
Select Standard Suites are clearly defined in SPG system by a room category code under suite award rate plan. It doesn't depend on what you booked. My bet is that DeLuxe/Diplomatic/Presidential are not standard suites, not sure about Executive. This really depends on the property.

There is a SPG property which often upgrades me to suite weeks in advance. That's definitely outside of the SPG T&C but I have been staying at that property monthly, or more, for over 10 years. Most front desk personnel and in-house reservation know me by name.

Last edited by TerryK; Nov 8, 2012 at 10:02 am
Old Nov 8, 2012, 9:53 am

Basically, I think you could easily be 100% right but, I believe, you forget to add in that the hotels has not been following the programme 100% and they have not, as you assume, threated me with white gloves because :
1) In my first experience I was not upgraded as a platinum, rooms were available.
Your initial post stated

I have been recently in a Hotel that on my last stay denied plat upgrade because no room was available...later in the evening, while I was at concierge for restaurant reservation two different guests (talking to two different front desk officers) were upgrade to a Diplomatic Suite and a De Luxe Suite rispectively, both of them Platinum.
As I and the hotel have tried to explain these two suite categories are not what you are entitled to as an upgrade solely because of your Platinum SPG status. Yes rooms were available but on the information that you have given they were not rooms that you had any entitlement to

2) In my second experience I was not upgraded. I reminded them of my status and my previous experience, asked for explanation...had to wait to get, as you said, and only after request, the minimum. I don't know to you, but to me this is already very annoiyng and It's not my fault if really something does not work in their system.
Irritating no doubt that your Platinum status was not seen in their system but this has nothing to do with the Platinum Upgrade policy.

3) When I phoned from the room to just ask what the upgrade policy was I was told that no better rooms were available. I had to give factual evidence that indeed there were available several rooms of different kind.
Once again there were no rooms that you had an entitlement to - you were ringing from a Junior Suite which was an upgrade to the level specified by the SPG program

4) I was then told that those rooms were hold in case of reservation. I had to remind them that first of all it was 08. pm and I was living at 08. am next morning and that the best room in the pool was supposed to be given to me.
you may have been told that but you had no entitlement to those suites in the first place. You had already received your upgrade

a) I saw them giving much better room to platinum when available;
Not to a Platinum but to a Platinum who had paid for a higher room category and this hotel has told you they have a policy to upgrade such guests to suites above the level that SPG defines for platinum guests

b) they indirectly confirmed those room were part of the pool because insisted in telling me that there were just no better room available and after they wanted to hold for incoming reservation.
It was a logical consequence for me to believe that those room were part ot the upgrade pool. Please remind that when I call them my question was "would you be so kind to tell me for my future reference what is the best room you upgrade platinum when available?" as easy as that.
5) When they were forced to admit that better room were available (I did not demanded it, I only asked for the above reported information), and that they had to give it to me if part of the pool, they stated those rooms are in no way to be considered for platinum. It was here that I gave again factual evidence of what I had saw with my eyes some weeks earlier. Yes, those rooms were given to Platinum, easily.
Only after one hour of jumping around (and several intentional or less intentional lies) I was told that the category booked influenced the room level you could be upgraded to.
You seem to want to ignore everything I say and everything that the hotel says. Nowhere have they confirmed that the Deluxe Suites or Diplomatic Suite are part of the pool of suites available as an upgrade to a select standard suite for a platinum. The hotel has made clear that the Junior Suite is the category that they use for Platinum upgrades. I have tried to explain that there are other reasons apart from being Platinum that might secure a better upgrade but you seem to want to ignore that reasoning

I don't know why you are putting it in a way that I was demanding and/or expecting something I was not entitled to.This is uncorrect.
Because that is the way it seems to me - there were references to phone calls to the front desk, arguing with the FDA, asking to speak to the manager all after you had been given a reasonable explanation of the policy and your appropriate upgrade.
Your statement When they were forced to admit that better room were available (I did not demanded it, I only asked for the above reported information), and that they had to give it to me if part of the pool, sounds like a demand to me.

I was very happy with the room and just wanted to now better they policy because i was confused and I wanted a clear information to set my expectation accordingly.

I am not getting the impression of someone happy with the upgrade given.

This was not provided. They jumped on evident lies that I had to confront with factual evidence. And you know that can be often challenging for a guest as far as only the hotel knows what lies behind the desk.
They were not lying to you - they were giving you factual information that you refused to accept and you still refuse to accept. When they told you that there were no other rooms available to upgrade you to I would have understood that to mean that there were no rooms available in the category that I was entitled to, not that the Presidential suite was occupied and that the hotel was 100% full.

When they told you that they don't upgrade Platinums to the Diplomatic Suite they were not lying to you. Just being a Platinum at this hotel is not enough to necessarily get you an upgrade to the Diplomatic Suite

Finally, I have nothing against this property and maybe hotels can have an internal policy (can they? how confusing can this become?); but you should agree with me that those policy should be made clear and understable for guests and not hided with lies of circumstance.
I'm afraid I can't even agree with you here - all hotels have internal policies. This hotel's internal policies that they have stated to you and you have made clear here are not confusing at all - they provide the SPG mandated level of upgrade for Platinum guests ie what you are entitled to according to the program. They also provide higher level upgrades to platinum guests who book higher category rooms. That is very sensible policy to me and I don't need the hotel to explain/justify why they do it

How all of this is becoming me to force the hotel to provide the bare minum I have not understood as well as I have not understood why you think the hotel has acted so brillantly in providing my platinum entitlment if it tooks me to fight and to go trough several unintentional mistakes (let's give them the benefit) to get the....bare minimum (and only at my second stay).
Nowhere did I say that the hotel acted so brilliantly in providing your Platinum entitlement. They have acted as they should and despite that you want to criticise them and try to put forward the view that they are not following the SPG program for Platinum Upgrades when they are fully complying. These posts are not about whether it would be nice/appropriate for you to get a higher level upgrade than to a standard suite, they are about your insistence that (despite thorough explanation demonstrating the contrary) you are entitled to more and that the hotel has acted badly - I do not see it.

Last edited by 3544quebec; Nov 8, 2012 at 10:05 am
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by Flews

Second, a much more serious issue, your understanding of the upgrade policy is correct: automatic upgrade to a better room, including standard suites in the upgrade pool, if one is available. The rate you book at is not a factor. Nor are they allowed to set aside available upgrades for incoming guests - unless, of course, they have booked those rooms. But they can't hold them "just in case". Ask SPG to take this up with this property to ensure they understand the rules.

Cheers,
Repeating this statement over and over again does not change the fact that hotels pre-block suites the day/night before arrival.

Those pre-blocked suites are available for booking, however are not in the upgrade pool for somebody who checks in earlier and was assigned a deluxe room instead of a suite.

As pointed out by Flying Lawyer with further evidence provided by more members from other forums, the actual category you booked is important as well, so a standard room booked by a Plat +++ might be topped by a Plat + who booked a premium room.

99% of the hotels are not in the business of fooling loyal customers, but do differentiate between loyal Platinum guests and even more loyal Plat ++ guests.

One should never underestimate the amount of people carrying a Plat card as well, which is in most cases higher than the number of suites available....
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Nowhere did I say that the hotel acted so brilliantly in providing your Platinum entitlement. They have acted as they should and despite that you want to criticise them and try to put forward the view that they are not following the SPG program for Platinum Upgrades when they are fully complying. These posts are not about whether it would be nice/appropriate for you to get a higher level upgrade than to a standard suite, they are about your insistence that (despite thorough explanation demonstrating the contrary) you are entitled to more and that the hotel has acted badly - I do not see it.
I'm sorry, you pretend to know better then me what i think and what are the reason behind what i wrote. Unfortunately you do not.
Those post about get an higher level of upgrade? Completely wrong.
My insistence then I am entitled to more. You are wrong again.

Talk about the fact and not about whatyou assume I want as you seems to know and understand very little about it.

Thanks
daddy
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
I know, you are right....I might not be that high in the food chain as you said, but I think I'm a very valuable customer. I have started focusing on the SPG programme since few months. I already topped 50 nights and will easily get to 75 by the end of the year....and i started around april/may.
Most of my stays are at top properties in leading town and I have booked and payed several times for one or two bedroom or specialty suite at W, St. Regis, Westin....I'm trying to be their customer...but trust me they are not doing their part enough to keep me loyal
Rest assured, you will make your way up the foodchain. I spend 80 percent of my Platinum life with three hotels and I can taken as guaranteed that I will always get huge suites up to the presidential suite with these. It is as simple as this. But it took time....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.