Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Creepy Starwood Stalkers-Edina MN Westin

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2012, 9:55 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
I don't see anything wrong with what was done. The profile is for the public, you are giving access to everyone to look at your profile. What's the difference between a hotel manager checking your account or your creepy next door neighbour checking it. If it's for the public then it's for everyone.
Old May 24, 2012, 9:58 pm

I don't condone the behavior of the hotel staff but at the same time, whatever you post on the internet WILL BE THERE FOREVER and WILL BE READABLE BY EVERYONE! I worked in Information Technology (IT) for over 35 years and I would NEVER EVER post anything personal about me on the internet, NO MATTER HOW GOOD THE PRIVACY SETTINGS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE. You might as well take out a front page ad in the New York Times and then complain that someone, who you did not know or authorize, is researching you. People today are way too free with their online info / status etc etc. Many (if not almost all) employers will google potential hirees names.... do you really want them to read about you or stuff that you may have done years ago?
Old May 24, 2012, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by Minneapolis
I'm totally going to add "enjoys suite upgrades and complimentary bottles of sparkling wine while traveling" to my LinkedIn profile.
then book the Edina property to test it out?

Old May 24, 2012, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
I don't see anything wrong with what was done. The profile is for the public, you are giving access to everyone to look at your profile. What's the difference between a hotel manager checking your account or your creepy next door neighbour checking it. If it's for the public then it's for everyone.
maybe but on the other hand I don't expect a hotel or any other service provider I am using to do a google (or any other internet) search on me if I make a reservation to stay there or use their services. They are getting my personal information just for the purposes of taking the reservation and being able to charge my credit card and send me receipts and info by email, not to investigate me. We trust them with personal information for the sole purpose of being able to deliver their services and products only.

I haven't checked their privacy policy recently, but I would hope that it says something like this when you provide your personal info to Starwood and SPG. If it does, then the manager is violating their privacy policy, and I won't be staying there.

Thank you OP for reporting this to CCS.

-David
Old May 24, 2012, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by 1Kwoman
... I would need to show ID to validate who I worked for, and if I was a consultant or contractor I would need to show a "proof of work" letter. If not, I would have to pay $375 vs the $175 I was booked at. I thought that was odd, since they could just ask me for ID when I got there
You've already answered your own question. There are people that are eligible for that rate that don't have an ID to prove it - consultants, contractors, vendors, potential employees, etc. To have those folks arrive and be surprised with a documentation requirement or a $200/night rate change would be called extortion by some.
Old May 24, 2012, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M
You've already answered your own question. There are people that are eligible for that rate that don't have an ID to prove it - consultants, contractors, vendors, potential employees, etc. To have those folks arrive and be surprised with a documentation requirement or a $200/night rate change would be called extortion by some.
nonsense, if you are using a rate code you aren't eligible to use and you get caught without some proof of eligibility, that's on you.

-David
Old May 25, 2012, 2:40 am

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
Creepy Starwood Stalkers-Edina MN Westin

Stick to spg properties in Iran if you don't want an open Internet.
Old May 25, 2012, 5:11 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Wow I'm surprised at this as well. Sorry op. Women traveling alone have a more sensitive perspective about things like this I would think and rightly so.
Old May 25, 2012, 5:19 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Was mildly concerned until "to provide a "personalized" experience as decreed by Starwood in their "Global Personalization" program. ie, to provide you with a mention of your alma mater, your pets, or what not" WHAT?

If this is BS, then this is the problem. As already stated, information you make public is public and may be used in ways you don't anticipate (ask the kids I haven't hired after looking at public images on Facebook, etc). But if they are lying about why they are looking at your data, that's very concerning and needs to be addressed.
Old May 25, 2012, 5:59 am

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
I am constantly amazed at how freely people post details about their lives on the internet and then complain about privacy.
Old May 25, 2012, 6:05 am
tyn

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
But if they are lying about why they are looking at your data, that's very concerning and needs to be addressed.
As I see it, there was nothing shifty in the way the hotel looked at the linkedin and such data, as confirmed by the fact that they openly told to the OP that they had done this.

And it is of course possible that they resorted to this only because the several phone call messages they left went ignored.
Old May 25, 2012, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
I rarely check my LinkedIn profile and my Facebook is private. Also, my Linkedin is "private". You cannot Google it. Seems that there are hotels that check it, however. There was one Conrad that I stayed couple of weeks ago that had pulled up my profile.
Old May 25, 2012, 7:49 am

Agreed.

Also, I didn't hear any complaints on the other thread about the 100 points folks got for 'liking' *wood... This is just another example of how companies are moving more and more to social media as part of doing business.

Cheers,
Old May 25, 2012, 8:03 am

agree here as well. the hotel did nothing wrong. it is exactly as you said it " If it's for the public then it's for everyone"
Old May 25, 2012, 8:06 am

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
This is one time where I love the fact that my name is not unusual at all and not even in the line of work I do.

Can you find me on Google/LinkedIn? Heck yeah, but it takes a lot more work than just plugging my name in the search.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.