Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More new Starwoods for Australia

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2012, 11:21 pm
Used to be RichardKopf
Original Poster

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
More new Starwoods for Australia

Starwood Pacific Hotels is set to reintroduce its W Hotels brand into the Australian market, with the firm seeking a suitable opportunity in Sydney or Melbourne.
Director of acquisitions and development Andrew Taylor said the firm would like
to have “one or two” W’s in the gateway cities but admitted its high-end proposition was “difficult to stack up financially”.
It's just a matter of time until someone snaps up the brand for Sydney and Melbourne
Andrew Taylor
It is on the look-out for a new build or a conversion of an existing hotel.
“There’s a couple that fit,” he said. “We have identified some opportunities, but we are not close to signing but it’s just a matter of time until someone snaps up the brand for Sydney and Melbourne.”
Meanwhile, its Sheraton and Westin brands were “kicking big goals” with a new Sheraton in Melbourne’s CBD due for completion in 2013.
But he revealed the company was looking increasingly to the “more robust” mid-market space for growth, focusing on making its
W could return to Australia
Four Points by Sheraton product
a “national brand”. It is targeting hotels that are “not performing or that need a lift” and offering them the benefits of the “Sheraton name halo effect”.
Four Points recently signed Perth’s Citigate Hotel, with Taylor hinting another deal in an eastern CBD was imminent.
The firm is also confident it will ink a deal in 2012 to develop the first Australian property under
its Aloft brand which caters to corporate travellers in city fringe areas.
“They have the DNA of W Hotels but at an affordable price,” Taylor said, adding it is targeting 15 Aloft properties within the next three to five years.
Starwood currently has 4000 hotel rooms in Australia but hopes these two brands alone will add a further 2000 in just three years.
It has also short-listed 10 properties for its Luxury Collection portfolio, following the signing of two hotels in January.
Old May 22, 2012, 11:37 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, QFF, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Sigh, so still no W/Sheraton/Westin for Brisbane.
Or Adelaide.
Or Canberra.
Old May 23, 2012, 11:10 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Originally Posted by wallaby
Sigh, so still no W/Sheraton/Westin for Brisbane.
Or Adelaide.
Or Canberra.
They had a Westin project for Brisbane listed for a couple of years on SPG.com but it disappeared after the floods. I'm optimistic about Brisbane & possibly Adelaide in mid terms (5 years?). Canberra -- unlikely.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 9:00 pm

Programs: QF, VN, SQ, SPG, IHG PG
W Hotels Melbourne proposal, right next to Southern Cross - 150m

Old Jul 26, 2012, 5:57 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by soorox
W Hotels Melbourne proposal, right next to Southern Cross - 150m

Cool!!!
^^^
Old Jul 26, 2012, 9:00 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
Cool!!!
^^^
Keeping in mind that AUS is quitely one of the most expensive countires in the world for travellers (SYD, MEL, Cold Cost & Port Douglas SPG properties are routinely AUS$350-550 range), I'll foresee this to be priced above $500 and be Cat 6. Westin MEL is rarely cheaper than $400. My hopes rest with new Sheraton MEL coming though -- may be $250 -- Cat 4?
Old Jul 26, 2012, 9:24 am

Programs: AMEX PLAT , HILTON GOLD, STARWOOD PREFERRED GUEST GOLD, IHG PLAT AMBASSADOR, DAVID O FAN CLUB
Originally Posted by Medved
Keeping in mind that AUS is quitely one of the most expensive countires in the world for travellers (SYD, MEL, Cold Cost & Port Douglas SPG properties are routinely AUS$350-550 range), I'll foresee this to be priced above $500 and be Cat 6. Westin MEL is rarely cheaper than $400. My hopes rest with new Sheraton MEL coming though -- may be $250 -- Cat 4?
tell me about it. booking 3 weeks in australia just now over the new year period!
using all my points for the sheraton Noosa and Sheraton On The Park Sydney.
Using IHG points for Melbourne Holiday Inn
Paying cash for either Sheraton Gold Coast or Versace Hotel ...

shame everywhere isnt 3000 points like the Sheraton K.Lumpur on my way home!

W melbourne looks great by the way ;-) . I am off to W Barcelona next month for 3 night weekend break. Cat 6 - 20,000 . I have paid £170 a night which = $250 aud a night ;-)
Old Jul 26, 2012, 9:31 pm

Programs: QF, VN, SQ, SPG, IHG PG
Fingers crossed W Melbourne does get built!

All Starwood properties in Australia are Category 4 +

Category 4
Four Points by Sheraton Geelong
Four Points by Sheraton Perth

Category 5
Sheraton Mirage Resort & Spa Gold Coast
Sheraton Noosa Resort & Spa
Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas Resort
Sheraton on the Park Sydney
Lilianfels Resort Blue Mountains
The Westin Melbourne
The Westin Sydney
Four Points by Sheraton Sydney, Darling Harbour

Category 6
Echoes Resort Blue Mountains

I'm guessing the new Sheraton Melbourne would be in Cat 5, since the hotel will mainly cater for Business and corporate travellers, it has 168 rooms, compared to 262 rooms of The Westin Melbourne down the street. Category 4 in Australia is dominated by Four Points by Sheraton hotels only.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:51 am

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
Just as Starwood is about to disappear quite a few properties have been announced.A new Westin in Perth opened earlier this year.A W has opened in brisbane-a nice property with a very good restaurant.A westin to open in Brisbane later this year.Darwin and the Sunshine Coast have Westin's slated for 2021 and now Adelaide for 2022.
https://www.hotelmanagement.com.au/2...uth-australia/

https://www.spicenews.com.au/2018/06...or-the-region/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.