Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
It can take up to 7 business days from the day you qualified for your Lifetime Platinum status to be picked up by the system.

Starwood / Marriott merger
Q : What will happen to my Lifetime Status when the programs merge together in the future?
A : Rest assured we will always recognize your Lifetime Status, whether it is today in your earned program or in the future with a new, combined program.
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#what-will-happen-to-my-lifetime-status-when-the-programs-merge-together-in-the-future
Print Wikipost

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2012, 12:14 am
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
Starwood staff confused about lifetime status

I'm not going to bother lurkers with this as it has no real meaning to me unless I stop staying at least 50 nights a year, but since many have received confirmation, I contacted SPG via online chat to be told that I have not attained Lifetime Gold as I had not held elite status for long enough.

I asked the agent to confirm that I had 413 nights. Tick. I told her that I was only looking at e-statements (so from 2006), but I had held Gold or Platinum status since then. She agreed, but said I still didn't have the status.

As I won't be using Gold status (hopefully, ever), I'll leave this until March once SPG figures out its numbers, but I expect to have a discussion about it, then. I have proof, by way of statements sent by SPG, which the agent could see, so I can't understand why, when the only 2 requirements have been met, that they prefer to deny access.

Let's see what happens.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 1:20 am

Programs: AS Million Miler, AS MVPG-75K, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Silver, Nat EE
Originally Posted by 1K from MRY
I pushed a little further - and rep said my account was locked before 2004 so it was probably under review at this time.
Like others - there is a discrepancy between my Plat status and what SPG agent via chat said. While I've been a member since 1999 - he said I was only Plat for 6 years - which I know is not accurate. I remember making PLAT the first year of the program (was sent a small folding SPG clock in fancy packaging) - anyone else get the clock?

I asked him to tell me what years the records were showing me as GOLD vs PLAT and he said that information is not available. But in reading previous posts, I saw some people were able to get that info from the agent.

I pushed further -and he said he could not see any "notes" in my account prior to 2004.

While I don't have all my records back to 1999, definitely know I've been PLAT more than 6 years, will do my research and contact SPG
Old Feb 3, 2012, 2:14 am

Programs: SPG>P & STARWOOD Privilege
Originally Posted by RichardKopf
I'm not going to bother lurkers with this as it has no real meaning to me unless I stop staying at least 50 nights a year, but since many have received confirmation, I contacted SPG via online chat to be told that I have not attained Lifetime Gold as I had not held elite status for long enough.

I asked the agent to confirm that I had 413 nights. Tick. I told her that I was only looking at e-statements (so from 2006), but I had held Gold or Platinum status since then. She agreed, but said I still didn't have the status.

As I won't be using Gold status (hopefully, ever), I'll leave this until March once SPG figures out its numbers, but I expect to have a discussion about it, then. I have proof, by way of statements sent by SPG, which the agent could see, so I can't understand why, when the only 2 requirements have been met, that they prefer to deny access.

Let's see what happens.
As an already confirmed LTmember {and fellow APac} I'll stand up for you by your side...you are consistantly one of the more reasonable poster/voices here at *wood FT!

*( and you already have confirmed LTlaundry )
Old Feb 3, 2012, 5:10 am

Programs: HH Diam, IHG Pl, Sirius G,Bonvoy LTG,Melia Pl,Shangri-La Diam,UA*G,Emirates G,Virgin Atl. G,Hertz PC
Fantastic news, but not so relevant for me since I consistantly qualify for gold or platinum since 1997 (1999 on my web account). I also kept all my gold/platinum cards for the last 15 years so I have proof of my former status. Is Starwood not worried that once lifetime status is achieved, SPG members will now focus on trying to reach elite status in other programs?
Old Feb 3, 2012, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by darch1
...Is Starwood not worried that once lifetime status is achieved, SPG members will now focus on trying to reach elite status in other programs?
With all the new benefits announced, Lifetime Platinum without 50 nights is actually Platinum Lite.@:-) Most active Platinum members will want to achieve Platinum 50 (Suite Nights), Platinum 75 (4 Starpoints/Your24) or Platinum 100 (Ambassador).
Old Feb 3, 2012, 6:08 am

Just got caught up on my morning reading...

'Twas the best of times; 'twas the worst of times.

They laughed; they cried.

The thrill of victory; the agony of defeat.

All on a few pages of an FT thread.

Thanks for making my day folks!

Cheers,
Old Feb 3, 2012, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm truly amazed to read about how everyone has their statements and cards for the last ten years. For truly frequent flyers such as yourselves, you must have piles of these from different loyalty programs.

For me, the moment a card expires or I get a newer replacement, the old one goes in the trash. Statements? If I can't unsubscribe and just see the info online, the statement gets shredded immediately.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 8:10 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Year 2012: not in count

As per SPG, the year in progress is only counted when it is completed.

This information might have been given earlier, but going from one page to another in FT is too slow with the connection that I have (or is it FT?).
Old Feb 3, 2012, 8:26 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by TerryK
With all the new benefits announced, Lifetime Platinum without 50 nights is actually Platinum Lite.@:-) Most active Platinum members will want to achieve Platinum 50 (Suite Nights), Platinum 75 (4 Starpoints/Your24) or Platinum 100 (Ambassador).
That is why I think that this is a very well thought out program. Most of those complaining seem to be because it is being applied retroactively to 2011 whereas I would say the vast majority are happy with that and prefer it that way.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 9:55 am
cxn

Originally Posted by abk
That is why I think that this is a very well thought out program. Most of those complaining seem to be because it is being applied retroactively to 2011 whereas I would say the vast majority are happy with that and prefer it that way.
I look at it this way, applying it to 2011 was a BONUS. They could have easily said, Starting in 2012, IF you earn X, Y, Z you will get A, B, C.

Those that met the higher requirements are getting the benefits early. Those which didnt, still get what they said they would get.

Now if they could just fix my lifetime Platinum Status I would be happy .
Old Feb 3, 2012, 10:37 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Starwood
Lifetime platinum - how many of us actually exist?

Got the email, got the phone call - nice to be recognized after being at the Platinum level every year since the beginning of SPG in 1999 and well past the 500 nights.

SPG is a great program, and loyalty has obviously paid off so far.

What I'd really like to know is how many Lifetime Platinum Members are there out there upon launch, and what does it really mean beyond the obvious?
Old Feb 3, 2012, 10:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by cxn
I look at it this way, applying it to 2011 was a BONUS. They could have easily said, Starting in 2012, IF you earn X, Y, Z you will get A, B, C.

Those that met the higher requirements are getting the benefits early. Those which didnt, still get what they said they would get.

Now if they could just fix my lifetime Platinum Status I would be happy .
Nope, now some of us who were told we had qualified for the top published tier find ourselves to suddenly be in the fourth published tier.

Moreover, the suite upgrades with select standard suites, what was/is a published benefit, is zero sum: additional select standard suites with not appear of of thin air on March 1 and some of us have just unexpectedly had our priority for getting these upgrades diminished.

The other new benefits do not have this impact on those who did not meet the unannounced night standards, although it remains to see how much the granting of lifetime status will inflate the ranks of Gold and PlatMinus.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 1:03 pm

???

what i simply can't get my head around is why some folks here are complaining this great and most generous enhancement works retro..
if starwood would have anounced qualification starting 2012, they would have been in the exact same position, having their chance to qualify this year.
again, starwood out of the blue is throwing juwels at us and some still complain, i just don't get it....
Old Feb 3, 2012, 2:29 pm

Missing Years

Unfortunately they dont count years before 1999. I was traveling all Sheraton 96-98. I have 7 years not counting the 3 that dont count. Oh well, I am sure I will make it. Westin in Wheeling will get me to Plat this year (then there were 2).
Old Feb 3, 2012, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
I thought this was great news when it was first announced but now I am a little less enthusiastic. I am concerned about the following:

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker II
2.What are the requirements to become SPG Lifetime™ Platinum?

To earn SPG Lifetime Platinum status, an SPG member must have a minimum of 10 years of Platinum status during his/her SPG tenure AND 500 eligible nights since joining the program.
I am already far along on the pursuit of lifetime Plat status with Marriott. Requiring 10 years of being Plat with SPG discourages me, I could reach 500 nights and never make lifetime Plat if I don't have enough years at top tier. This now becomes harder for me than Mariott's 1000 lifetime nights and 1 year of Plat status requirement.

[B]6.If I’m an SPG Lifetime member, does that mean my Starpoints will never expire?

Even as an SPG Lifetime member, Starpoints must be earned or redeemed at least once every 12 months. If this is not done, the SPG Lifetime member account will become inactive and the Starpoints will automatically be forfeited. You may contact SPG to reactivate your SPG program membership at the level of your SPG Lifetime designation; however, the forfeited Starpoints will not be returned.
A real annoyance factor to me. While I think it is probably unlikely I'd be in a circumstance where this might happen, I don't like the gotcha feature.

13. How about nights earned for having the Amex SPG card? I see that status from having the Amex cards will count towards the "years of status" total, but will nights earned pre-Oct 1 2011 for having the card count as well, or like award nights, count only after that date?

William: Yes to AMEX card nights as far as helping to attain Platinum, but not as a factor in adding to the number of nights needed for Lifetime status. No to award stays pre-October 1, 2011.
A big discouragement for me, so unlike Marriott none of those credit card nights count towards lifetime, they aren' considered real nights then in my mind.

Overall, before reading the fine print I was gung ho to go for lifetime status with SPG, now I am ambivalent about this. I'm certainly not going to push hard for it before completing lifetime Platinum status requirements with Marriott.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.