Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Discussion: 10 Suite Night Awards (SNAs) for Plats with 50 nights in calendar year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Print Wikipost

Discussion: 10 Suite Night Awards (SNAs) for Plats with 50 nights in calendar year

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2014, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by DudeE
After a year of experience with this program, I'm somewhat soured on it.

The biggest problem is that, in my experience, they are rarely awarded. I've managed exactly 1 redemption for a single-night stay over the past year.
Interesting. I am batting 100% so far this year. I have had at least a dozen SNAs clear already in 2014, several bookings for multiple nights. Just had my latest clear today, for a stay 5 nights out.

No complaints here.

Cheers,
Old Feb 11, 2014, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
After a year of experience with this program, I'm somewhat soured on it.

The biggest problem is that, in my experience, they are rarely awarded. I've managed exactly 1 redemption for a single-night stay over the past year.

The other problem is that I'm completely in the dark about my room until at least 5 days prior to my check-in. This can mean I get an e-mail on Thursday telling me my Monday upgrade request is denied.

Understood that complimentary upgrades as a perk of status are not any kind of expectation but based on availability at time of check-in/boarding/etc. However when I'm actually redeeming an earned award in exchange for an upgrade, I expect a bit more certainty. Otherwise - what's the point? I would presume the original notion was that these awards were an incremental perk that allowed Plats to *avoid* the crapshoot of hoping for a comp upgrade.

Go ahead and give me half the number of SNAs but with better certainty on when I can actually use them. Giving me 10 and having them rejected 80% of the time is more frustration than anything else.
I think the SNA works well if you are prepared to play Starwood vs other properties and make flexible reservations (which can often be the cheapest rate if applying a corporate rate).

You reserve 2 properties (for me ideally this is an IC where I have certainty of upgrade although often a more expensive rate to get a suite) if the SNA doesn't clear before the end of the free cancellation period I cancel the booking and switch properties. I like the fact that I have certainty before I arrive which allows other options. A Hyatt style upgrade at teh time of reservation system would be better for me but as is the SNA system works well. My biggest issue last year was due to switches to other properties when SNAs didn't clear and the number of stays where SNA's just couldn't be used at all.

It has helped me reduce my spend at Starwoods when I otherwise would have booked a higher category room because of the risk of not getting the type I wanted at check in.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
great SNA Report

here's a good SNA tale:

Westin Ft Lauderdale
1 night stay this week

48 hours away from stay, SNA does not go through. Online I see hotel has standard suites for sale. I email them. They say: "sorry, it's up to the computer to do this, wish we could help you."

So I call Plat "concierge." First woman says: "I see availability, but sorry, it's up to the computer to do this." Transferred to supervisor, who calls hotel. He gets back on line with me and says: "Sorry, the hotel would rather keeps those suites available for sale for now." I asked if this was not antithetical to the purpose of SNAs. He said "SPG hotels have the right to hold rooms back from SNAs if they want to try and sell them instead." I asked for him to send me this in an email. He said he would, but never did.

If this is true, it's news to me. Why use SNA's if hotel can opt to wait and sell the rooms within 48 hours?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by JBauer
here's a good SNA tale:

Westin Ft Lauderdale
1 night stay this week

48 hours away from stay, SNA does not go through. Online I see hotel has standard suites for sale. I email them. They say: "sorry, it's up to the computer to do this, wish we could help you."

So I call Plat "concierge." First woman says: "I see availability, but sorry, it's up to the computer to do this." Transferred to supervisor, who calls hotel. He gets back on line with me and says: "Sorry, the hotel would rather keeps those suites available for sale for now." I asked if this was not antithetical to the purpose of SNAs. He said "SPG hotels have the right to hold rooms back from SNAs if they want to try and sell them instead." I asked for him to send me this in an email. He said he would, but never did.

If this is true, it's news to me. Why use SNA's if hotel can opt to wait and sell the rooms within 48 hours?
SPG does not show SNA inventory online. Although they may use the same name, there is a separate inventory for SNAs and once those (aka it) are gone, no more SNAs. Many have reported SNA being denied, yet upgraded at check-in.

Good luck.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 7:49 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by RogerD408
SPG does not show SNA inventory online. Although they may use the same name, there is a separate inventory for SNAs and once those (aka it) are gone, no more SNAs. Many have reported SNA being denied, yet upgraded at check-in.

Good luck.
And that is what makes SNAs equivalent to fizzbin (Star Trek fans may get the reference). Much as I like the concept, the execution is awful and inconsistent. I have SNAs that will go unused because either a) I can't apply them in the first place, even though many suites are for sale at a property, or b) they don't go through even if applied (see a)).
Old Feb 11, 2014, 9:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
And that is what makes SNAs equivalent to fizzbin
Hey, I paid 50 quatloos for those SNAs!
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Transferred to supervisor, who calls hotel. He gets back on line with me and says: "Sorry, the hotel would rather keeps those suites available for sale for now." I asked if this was not antithetical to the purpose of SNAs. He said "SPG hotels have the right to hold rooms back from SNAs if they want to try and sell them instead." I asked for him to send me this in an email. He said he would, but never did.

very interesting....this goes against what the lurkers have been saying here all along....
Old Feb 12, 2014, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

here's a good SNA tale:

Westin Ft Lauderdale
1 night stay this week

Did you go ahead with the stay? If so so why?

SNA's give an opportunity to cancel a stay and move elsewhere. If a suite was important to me I have no hesitation doing that.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Did you go ahead with the stay? If so so why?

SNA's give an opportunity to cancel a stay and move elsewhere. If a suite was important to me I have no hesitation doing that.
I thought you lose the SNA if you cancel the reservation within the 5 day period? I always thought it was a way to SPG gets you to book with them in hours of an upgrade rather than another property.

One thing I think would be interesting is for SPG to allow you to cash out your SNA for points at the current rate it cost to upgrade to a suite when they expire.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kmcbrid2
I thought you lose the SNA if you cancel the reservation within the 5 day period? I always thought it was a way to SPG gets you to book with them in hours of an upgrade rather than another property.

One thing I think would be interesting is for SPG to allow you to cash out your SNA for points at the current rate it cost to upgrade to a suite when they expire.
You can cancel the upgrade and booking up to 24 hours in advance of arrival (even if the upgrade has been applied) and have your SNA back. I think within 24 hours you lose the SNA but then most advance reservation penalties kick in at the 24 hours prior point and that is the final cut of for SNA confirmation.

If I don't get the SNA prior to the cancellation window and it is important to me then I cancel the reservation and go to my back up hotel instead.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Keyser
very interesting....this goes against what the lurkers have been saying here all along....
Actually, I believe the Lurkers have been very clear that what is shown online (i.e. suites for sale) does not match what is available for upgrade (i.e. suites for SNA upgrades). So, yes, a property can reserve suites for sale and not use them to satisfy SNA requests.

Where this gets really sticky is the check-in upgrade, especially since online inventory can exceed actual inventory (deliberate oversell strategy, rooms out of service, etc.). Just because the computer says they have rooms does not mean they do. Unfortunately, too many FDCs make up stories as to why you're not being upgraded you can't believe them either.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Perhaps covered earlier - I couldn't wade through the entire thread.

Be aware of the usage and expiration policies of SNAs. I earned 10 to start last year and 10 more during the year. I used 10 during 2013 but will only have 9 for 2014. In fact, I could have used 10 and had none left this year.

When the T&C's say SNAs are "used" in the order of expiration, "used" means applied - not when you actually stay. I had 10 SNA's "used" by being applied to reservations. I then made one more reservation "using" a 2014 SNA. Even after cancelling some "2013" SNAs, the stay with an associated "2104" SNA consumed it. So even though I have unused 2013 SNAs, I've used one from 2014.

I guess I have a different definition of "using" an award.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Delta Gold Medallion, United/Star Alliance Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Flews
Interesting. I am batting 100% so far this year. I have had at least a dozen SNAs clear already in 2014, several bookings for multiple nights. Just had my latest clear today, for a stay 5 nights out.
I suspect it may have something to do with my preference to use these on long stays at vacation properties. For example my 7 nights at the Westin Resort & Spa in Cancun was shot down. I would guess a one or two night stay at a business-class hotel might be an easier snag.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by CPRich
When the T&C's say SNAs are "used" in the order of expiration, "used" means applied - not when you actually stay.
I had this situation at the end of 2013. This is a known system bug. A quick call or chat will fix it.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 11:58 am

I suspect it may have something to do with my preference to use these on long stays at vacation properties. For example my 7 nights at the Westin Resort & Spa in Cancun was shot down. I would guess a one or two night stay at a business-class hotel might be an easier snag.
For sure. Day(s) of week too.

Cheers,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.