Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Guest sues Starwood; says man entered her locked hotel room (Hotel Kamp in Helsinki)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guest sues Starwood; says man entered her locked hotel room (Hotel Kamp in Helsinki)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2012, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I do not know about the Hotel Kamp, but not all hotels have dead bolt and chain devices and even if the door is equipped with these, they do not always work. This is more common ovseas than in the USA IME, just as foreign hotels tend to not see a problem with loudly announcing the room number, even in contexts where it is clear that one will be away from the room or where numerous drunks are within hearing range.
I do agree with you that we seem more security conscious in USA hotels than in foreign hotels. For example, in some foreign hotels (not often USA chain hotels), they often ask you to leave the key at the desk when you leave, and you simply ask for it when you return. They don't ask for ID when you pick up the key, so if you look "normal," you could probably grab anybody's key.

Foreigners could also claim that Americans are just more "paranoid" about security than they are -- just like Americans are arguably paranoid with airport security. I personally haven't felt unsafe -- either for my personal safety or my valuables -- in foreign hotels. I guess many of these things are just cultural differences. Of course, had the Finnish desk clerk followed "American protocol" in asking for ID for the victim's room key, this incident would have been averted.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Is this a true story?
Old Jan 10, 2012, 5:20 pm
Suspended

Please do not blame the victim by saying that deadbolts and chains should have been used.
there is an enormous difference between "blaming the victim" and stating that the victim could have avoided the problem by using some common sense.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 5:34 pm

Please do not blame the victim by saying that deadbolts and chains should have been used.
+1

Originally Posted by BenSenise
there is an enormous difference between "blaming the victim" and stating that the victim could have avoided the problem by using some common sense.
Let's put aside the fact that you have no way of knowing whether such "common sense" additional protections were even available. You're still blaming the victim.

If the plaintiff's allegations are true -- which none of us can adequately assess, so it's pointless to argue about it -- then the only blameworthy parties are the assailant and the idiot FDC.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 9:33 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by beltway
+1

Let's put aside the fact that you have no way of knowing whether such "common sense" additional protections were even available. You're still blaming the victim.

If the plaintiff's allegations are true -- which none of us can adequately assess, so it's pointless to argue about it -- then the only blameworthy parties are the assailant and the idiot FDC.
Just making this type of statement isn't helpful. Do you disagree that the plaintiff would *not* have encountered this problem *if* they had followed the advice? While that doesn't make them responsible for what happened, it is still true that precautions are helpful.

Let me put it another way. The next time you check into a hotel, leave your money sitting in the hallway. If it is missing, in the morning, the *only* guilty party is the person who took it. Does that mean that you did the right thing?
Old Jan 10, 2012, 9:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sbrower
Just making this type of statement isn't helpful. Do you disagree that the plaintiff would *not* have encountered this problem *if* they had followed the advice? While that doesn't make them responsible for what happened, it is still true that precautions are helpful.

Let me put it another way. The next time you check into a hotel, leave your money sitting in the hallway. If it is missing, in the morning, the *only* guilty party is the person who took it. Does that mean that you did the right thing?
i'm glad at least someone has some common sense around here.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Originally Posted by iahphx
Reading the actual Complaint gives you a pretty good feel for this lawsuit. It doesn't shed a lot more light on the facts, but it certainly suggests the motivation here is publicity and money.

I remember in law school (I'm not currently a lawyer) learning about the "egg shell plaintiff" rule. Here's a quick summary of that legal doctrine:

http://www.unifiedinjury.com/content...plaintiff-rule

In this case, the guest is basically claiming that her entire personal and professional life was destroyed by this incident (which she got around to telling Starwood about 5 months after it happened).

I suppose it's possible. People react differently to different situations. But in the world I live in, this seems like a very unfortunate incident being blown completely out of proportion. I find it very difficult that she was able to achieved the level of professional success she reportedly did but completely fell apart emotionally after a guy crawled into her hotel bed and touched her.
She waited 5 months? There goes any credibility.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Originally Posted by iahphx
Perhaps the moderators can consolidate the posts in the master thread with this new thread.

But I don't understand why you think this is a "frightening story, especially for single female travelers."

Is there not a "single female traveler" (or any traveler, for that matter) who reads flyertalk who is not aware that this sort of unusual incident could occur at a hotel? Much like front desks ocassionally screw up and give room keys to already occupied rooms. That's why you should throw the deadbolt, right?
Assuming the room has a deadbolt. I had a rather frightening prepaid stay (via Expedia) with Hotel Pennsylvania, who had NO IDEA who had checked in. Twice I was given keys for occupied rooms. There were no deadbolts on the doors. I always travel with a doorstop (always a good idea), but I had no way of leaving my room and ensuring my stuff would be there. I was afraid to take a bath -- or sleep -- despite the doorstop. Wasn't really enough to make me comfortable, y'know?

Fortunately, it was only a one-night stay. As I was unemployed at the time, it happened to be a hardship to walk somewhere else. If I could have afforded to, I would have.

That's why I carry a doorstop, though.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:47 pm

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite
A female friend of mine was sexually harassed by one or more male employees of a now "deflagged" Sheraton in Malaysia (near the Thai boarder).

I was in the US at the time, and we talked on the phone constantly, as she was afraid the guys would eventually try to enter her room; but fortunately nothing happened like that; but one or two guys from the front desk constantly called her room and asked her out for drinks, etc.

This is rare in SW properties in my experience; and the property above was "deflagged" as a SW property soon after (not sure the reason for that).

Sexual harassment of guests should be reported immediately to SW management, for the safety of all guests, please.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
I had a similar story working as a defence attorney for a big chain close to 20 years ago. My claimant alleged the stranger sneaked in with a key card while she was sleeping and stole a precious watch. At the end of the case it was obvious that the door was only opened once that evening (the key card reader was intelligent), shortly after opening the door a bottle of champagne was bought from the minibar and an adult movie was watched. And the watch had been bought in a duty free without paying duty when entering the country. The lady had quite a bit of problems.....
Old Jan 11, 2012, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Eh. I'm on both sides of this. Terrible incident, agreed. IF the FD gave out the keycard as described/alleged, it was a serious error which could have had even more serious consequences. The woman was fortunate that she was not injured or assaulted more seriously.

That said, she could and should have used the deadbolt/chain/whatever. Not saying that the assault (if it happened as alleged) is her fault, but the person who has primary responsibility for our own safety and security, regardless of the location and circumstances, is us. Everyone should exerciese reasonable caution.

She starts to lose me, though, by waiting so long after the incident to file suit and by hiring Ms. Allred. Just wondering out loud,.... Did she find herself unable to work and quit her job before or after retaining Ms. Allred? There's probably some type of psychotherapist involved here, too. Did she start seeing the therapist before or after retaining Ms. Allred?

I'm not suggesting that any guest deserves this, but there's a lot of stuff here to suggest that this is an attempted money grab. And Starwood/the hotel will, of course, settle. The last thing they want is for this to go to trial. So they're really only discussing the size of the check. While I believe that the incident happened, and possibly pretty close to as described, her motivation hardly seems terribly altruistic. Is she really interested in ensuring the safety of others, or is she more interested in the size of her own retirement fund?

Just my 2¢.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I read some of the comments posted in the original story (there are zillions of them), and I found it interesting that almost every comment was critical of the lawsuit. I suppose people who post on these stories are more cynical of lawsuits and pro-business than the general population, but it seems like people don't automatically sympathize with a woman who seems to be exaggerating her injury -- and who hires an ambulance-chasing lawyer.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
There has been a few incidents when hotels have accidentally given me a room which has not been cleaned, or given me a room which someone else tried to gain entry but hardly a case to sue the hotel.

Oh, I guess she's just asking for money...
Old Jan 11, 2012, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
And Starwood/the hotel will, of course, settle. The last thing they want is for this to go to trial. So they're really only discussing the size of the check.
Starwood won't be much helped by the comment of Kämp's managing director in today's (or is it yesterday's now?) Finnish press. "It happened between two inviduals in the same party* and our hotel has nothing to do with it"

The Finnish police dropped the case as both parties have left the country but say they can pick it up again if circumstances so require.

* I think it was a congress or similar
Old Jan 11, 2012, 3:53 pm

Programs: United Hotcake Preferred
Not a defensible case at trial.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.