Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Post your Platinum upgrade FAILURES 2012

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2012, 7:00 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Likely two-fer:

Sheraton Charles Square Prague - upgraded to nice room, was a long stay, hotel was booked full the first three nights (no suites available online for at least a week prior). Person checking me in was very good about it, actually tried to call mgmt, but I knew this was going to be a long shot.

W Minn Foshay looking like a no-no as well this weekend, plenty of standard rooms but only one suite left, unlikely I will be the only plat around
Old Aug 27, 2012, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AGR SE, SPG Platinum, HH Gold, MR Gold
Le Meridian London

No upgrade, in fact got smallest room in hotel according to layout map. No acknowledgment of platinum (didn't ask to pick amenity, didn't mention free internet, key not activated for club lounge, etc)... was too busy w/ work to bother. Something screwy happened here... fixed platinum amenity and club lounge access later in stay.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 5:00 am

Programs: millemiglia - milesmore- spg - goldpassport - priority club- the leader club - others
Santa Marina - Mykonos

It was a last minute trip. I made my booking for a superior room on the phone the day before arrival (the night before actually) and operator told me about several suite available that i could book; they didn't know I was platinum.

After the booking I told them I wanted to give my spg number, but they sayd it was useless and I had to give it to front dersk at the moment of check-in
but i sent over an email just to be sure they had my details in advance.

At arrival I was given the blue platinum key holder for platinum members that states you have been given the best available room, which in fact was a regular room.
In front of me the same day other guests (i don't know if spg or not) were upgrade from regular room to villa.
As I don't like to ask people, I did not mention about the expected upgrade and about the several suites the operator wanted to sell me just few hours earlier. The fact they did not wanted me to give my spg and the not mentioned suite upgrade made it clear to me they are not happy to fully respect the programme.

Breakfast was included in my rate and internet was free so no real benefit for platinum.

On the day of check out they started calling me in the room since 12.00 and wanted me to live...I said I was set to live at 16.00 (resort pretty empty) and they started to make me feel unconfortable and pretended I let the room not later then 15.30. It was a good time for me to go so I did not complain but, all in all, I felt useless to have been working hard to become a platinum if those are the standard I should expect.

That said, I did like the resort and enjoyed my time there.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 8:35 am
evq

Programs: EVA Air Diamond, Fairmont Premier
W Taipei

Booked a C+P stay for 2 nights as a platinum.

Was given a SPG GOLD key holder (...? )
Offered bonus points or welcome drink.
No free breakfast
No executive club (they don't have one)
No suite upgrade
Wifi already included in all room rates

Platinum was useless for me in this instance. Should have stayed as Le Meridien or Westin
Old Sep 4, 2012, 9:39 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,9MM), WN
Originally Posted by evq
Booked a C+P stay for 2 nights as a platinum.

Was given a SPG GOLD key holder (...? )
Offered bonus points or welcome drink.
No free breakfast
No executive club (they don't have one)
No suite upgrade
Wifi already included in all room rates

Platinum was useless for me in this instance. Should have stayed as Le Meridien or Westin
IDK if staying at the Westin would have been a better option considering they were undergoing a major rehab when I visited last.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 8:10 am

Programs: millemiglia - milesmore- spg - goldpassport - priority club- the leader club - others
Westin Palace Milan

No upgrade. I even think they gave me a lower category then i originally booked.
No mention anyhow of platinum benefit.
Nothing.

This is my second stay as a platinum, you can read the other one few post earlier in this thread.....and since now the platinum has been nothing else then a big disappointment....and let me add even a rip off because without the benefit expcted i was not going to' book Santa Marina in Mykonos and neither westin in Milan!
Old Sep 6, 2012, 8:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Question

Originally Posted by The_Daddy
No upgrade. I even think they gave me a lower category then i originally booked.
No mention anyhow of platinum benefit.
Nothing.

This is my second stay as a platinum, you can read the other one few post earlier in this thread.....and since now the platinum has been nothing else then a big disappointment....and let me add even a rip off because without the benefit expcted i was not going to' book Santa Marina in Mykonos and neither westin in Milan!
You don't mention this, and I don't believe you should need to, but when there was no mention of a "platinum benefit" (and I'm not entire sure what you mean by that. Do you mean Platinum amenities?) did you question the person checking you in?

If you felt as though you were given a room in a lower category than booked, did you speak with a supervisor or the GM while on property?
Old Sep 6, 2012, 8:42 am
Suspended

It was a last minute trip. I made my booking for a superior room on the phone the day before arrival (the night before actually) and operator told me about several suite available that i could book; they didn't know I was platinum.

After the booking I told them I wanted to give my spg number, but they sayd it was useless and I had to give it to front dersk at the moment of check-in
but i sent over an email just to be sure they had my details in advance.

At arrival I was given the blue platinum key holder for platinum members that states you have been given the best available room, which in fact was a regular room.
In front of me the same day other guests (i don't know if spg or not) were upgrade from regular room to villa.
As I don't like to ask people, I did not mention about the expected upgrade and about the several suites the operator wanted to sell me just few hours earlier. The fact they did not wanted me to give my spg and the not mentioned suite upgrade made it clear to me they are not happy to fully respect the programme.

Breakfast was included in my rate and internet was free so no real benefit for platinum.

On the day of check out they started calling me in the room since 12.00 and wanted me to live...I said I was set to live at 16.00 (resort pretty empty) and they started to make me feel unconfortable and pretended I let the room not later then 15.30. It was a good time for me to go so I did not complain but, all in all, I felt useless to have been working hard to become a platinum if those are the standard I should expect.

That said, I did like the resort and enjoyed my time there.
When I see these types of post I often have additional questions.

You say they offered several suites to be booked, but do you 100% know the category of those suites? Were any of those suites within the Platinum Upgrade pool? Meaning are the Select Standard Suites? If you have a problem, I always suggest taking care of it while on property, this way you don't assume or have to guess.

Also, this is a resort, so I understand the late check out issues.

You can't complain about this property not doing one thing, when you don't know the full story about the Suites (you don't know categories), then being upset when they dont offer 4pm late check out (you don't know occupancy).

I'm not saying the property is in the wrong or being an appologist , but there are variables.

Old Sep 6, 2012, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
When I see these types of post I often have additional questions.

You say they offered several suites to be booked, but do you 100% know the category of those suites? Were any of those suites within the Platinum Upgrade pool? Meaning are the Select Standard Suites? If you have a problem, I always suggest taking care of it while on property, this way you don't assume or have to guess.

Also, this is a resort, so I understand the late check out issues.

You can't complain about this property not doing one thing, when you don't know the full story about the Suites (you don't know categories), then being upset when they dont offer 4pm late check out (you don't know occupancy).

I'm not saying the property is in the wrong or being an appologist , but there are variables.

They had entry level suites available as well as villas. I even had prices and everything.
As said i was happy with my room....just frustrated for the programme rights not honored.
As i stated the occupancy was very low on my departing day....
I' m not assuming anything, why you think I do?

And i don't like make a case while in property each time.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
You don't mention this, and I don't believe you should need to, but when there was no mention of a "platinum benefit" (and I'm not entire sure what you mean by that. Do you mean Platinum amenities?) did you question the person checking you in?

If you felt as though you were given a room in a lower category than booked, did you speak with a supervisor or the GM while on property?
I did not question anyone....it is not my duty and/or responsability to make them honoring the programme.
I did not speak with anyone because as i said i don't like to' make a case usually....and i found out it later because the category room i booked Are supposed to' be' located in a different part of the hotel....
Old Sep 6, 2012, 9:29 am
evq

Programs: EVA Air Diamond, Fairmont Premier
They had entry level suites available as well as villas. I even had prices and everything.
As said i was happy with my room....just frustrated for the programme rights not honored.

yeah seriously, if SPG is going to make "guaranteed suite upgrades" a platinum perk, we shouldnt have to bargain our way to get it like a beggar.

even lucky @ onemileatatime blog has trouble with hotels holding out suite upgrades on him, and he has to resolve it by bringing in SPG corporate
Old Sep 6, 2012, 9:37 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Sheraton Park Lane, London
Agent at check-in offered, and confirmed upon my inquiry, that they had assigned a"lovely" room to me. That room turned out to be small, low floor, inside courtyard view, non-renovated. The hotel did not look busy. I was tempted, but in the end too tired to take up the issue.
Disappointing.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 10:06 am
Suspended

As I asked before, is what you describe as an "entry level suites" considered a Select Standard Suite and was it available for your entire stay?

If you didn't ask for clarity, then you don't what really took place and it's an assumption.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 10:12 am
Suspended

Question

Originally Posted by evq
yeah seriously, if SPG is going to make "guaranteed suite upgrades" a platinum perk, we shouldnt have to bargain our way to get it like a beggar.

even lucky @ onemileatatime blog has trouble with hotels holding out suite upgrades on him, and he has to resolve it by bringing in SPG corporate
Since when are "guarenteed suite upgrades" (NOT Suite Night Awards) apart of the SPG program?

From Starwood:
Upgrades to best available room at check-in, including Standard Suites.

Subject to availability at check-in for the length of the stay, provided the room was not booked through a pre-paid third-party channel. Specialty Suites such as, but not limited to, premium view, Presidential, Honeymoon, and multiple bedroom suites are excluded. This benefit does not apply to all-suite hotels. Best rooms are identified by each property and may not include upgraded Towers level accommodations unless Towers level accommodations are booked originally. The upgrade benefit is available for one room for the personal use of the Member only, regardless of the number of additional rooms purchased by the Member. This benefit is not offered at Aloft and Element properties.
I'm not saying anyone should beg, but if you are being checked in and the person doesn't know the program or is miss informed of the benefits, a member should stop them and ask for management. If not, the problem will continue.

I personally would rather say something so that other Platinum's (and to a degree Gold members) checking in after me don't meet the same fate.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 10:40 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by evq
Had a really good read just now, thanks for the FYI.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.