Old Dec 31, 11, 11:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Post your Platinum upgrade FAILURES 2012

Let's hope this is a very small thread.

Last edited by schley; Jan 1, 12 at 12:06 am
Old Jan 13, 12, 9:26 pm

First Failure of the New Year

Checked in at the Sheraton Safari in Orlando for one night while waiting for my Disney room to be available. I have stayed in this place many times before as Gold and usually obtained something decent as an upgrade. Unfortunately,the hotel is undergoing major renovation and the whole attitude of the staff seems to have changed.Having attained plat at the end of the year, this was to be my second plat stay and my wife asked about what we could expect. Well, we didn't expect to be told at check-in that we weren't plat, and that we would have to pay $10 for parking our car. When I asked the staff to check with starwood, I was advised that I needed to check my status. Eventually I asked for a manager to get the status straightened out and got offered free internet, but the room was a two double bed standard facing the garbage dumpsters which guaranteed a wake up call around 4 or 5 AM when the garbage truck came to make a pick-up. No water in the room, no upgrade, no amenity (though the front desk called and offered free breakfast). On check-out I got a bill for a roll-a-away bed which someone down the hall used (we saw it in the hallway as we left), so all in all, I would consider it not just a plat failure but a Starwood failure (and there were other rooms available at the time as I overheard another prospective guest being advised at checkout).

Last edited by sjpvac; Jan 13, 12 at 9:38 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jan 14, 12, 7:41 am

Programs: aa exp and ck, spg plat, hz pc, dl life gld, marriott life plat, others
Sheraton Tarrytown

Long series of stays, many like earlier this week where parking lot is mainly empty and nobody in lounge in morning, but in every case not only no suite, no club floor but always in the smallest of the room types on the floor where I am placed.

Since this property always has a letter and a chocolate in the room, my guess is that they plan on having zero changes, regardless of whether a better room type is available at the time of checkin and for the duration of the stay (single night in my case).

Platinum and ask every time I check in. Appears to be platinum hostile or at least platinum indifferent attitude. I stay here when I almost "have to" based on location and timing of visit the next morning, but suggest avoiding this property otherwise.
Old Jan 14, 12, 10:12 am
ftv

Programs: Vigin FC Silver, Hilton Gold, Choice Gold, Former DL Plat, UA 1K
Sheraton Suite Orlando Airport

Sheraton Suite Orlando Airport

Denied upgrade. Some rooms are Labled. "SPG" but as a Platinum, I didnt get one and...I saw them being cleaned as I wlaked to my standard room! So they were highly available!
Old Jan 16, 12, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Sheraton Milan Malpensa Airport

Just checked into my first plat stay since getting status back again

No room upgrade, not even to a club or deluxe room (and there are definitely jr suites available). No offer of 500 point welcome amenity, instead given a ticket to a wine tasting event, which had already ended by the time I checked into my 1 night stay. No breakfast. No Internet. No love whatsoever.
Old Jan 16, 12, 2:27 pm
uxb

Programs: AS (MVPG), BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (1,72MM), WN
Originally Posted by milesmuncher View Post

No room upgrade, not even to a club or deluxe room (and there are definitely jr suites available). No offer of 500 point welcome amenity, instead given a ticket to a wine tasting event, which had already ended by the time I checked into my 1 night stay. No breakfast. No Internet. No love whatsoever.
Sounds like you should file a complaint with SPG.
Old Jan 16, 12, 9:39 pm
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Sheraton Atlantic City

Well, frankly, this hotel is a dump.

Was offered an upgrade to a "conference suite", which is a one-room "suite" with a QUEEN sized bed (regular rooms have kings) and a huge, worn out table from the 70's, guessing for a "conference". I regard this as a failure, and requested my original King room back.
Old Jan 17, 12, 11:35 am

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Nothing at the Joule for a 3 night (that i turned into a 4 night stay foolishly). Standard suites showed available but figured there were a bunch of other plats staying that stay here more often than i do.

1 night stay in Dallas W, nada.
Old Jan 17, 12, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HGP Diamond, Avis First
Le Royal Meridien Hamburg

My "upgrade" was a standard room with a lake view. Unfortunately, I don't consider the lake view an upgrade in January as the sun sets early, the balcony is unusable due to the cold, and you can hear the street traffic clearly.

While not a proper indication of capacity, the restaurant and bar were mostly empty. Usually I get at least an exec oversized room, but not this trip.
Old Jan 17, 12, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
The Grant, San Diego

Stayed here over MLK weekend (1/13-1/15). Booked standard room, received standard room (no upgrade; checked online and no suites available so did not expect upgrade). No platinum welcome amenity, did receive free internet, but front desk did not indicate any other benefits. Hotel charged $35/night for parking. I thought it was a bit much.
Old Jan 18, 12, 10:34 am

The U.S. Grant, San Diego

Stayed there on the 1st of January, 2012. No upgrade, no free internet. The room had an awesome view of an alley and the rooms of a dingy apartment building. I did get the welcome amenity (score!). The complimentary coffee was only offered until 8am and was so hard to locate by the time I found it, it was 8:05 and not available.

No upgrade, no coffee, $35 parking, no problem. I'll stay at one of the other 50 SPG properties in SD. I guess the "luxury" in Luxury Collection pretty much ends when you leave the lobby.
Old Jan 18, 12, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, SPG Plat, HGP Dia, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, CC Gold
0 for 4 on a recent trip to Bangkok.

One night each at the four points,SGS,meridien, and St Regis--I did get the corner room at the st Regis with great views and access to the residence pool.
Old Jan 18, 12, 8:02 pm

Programs: AC Super Elite, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by milesmuncher View Post

I suspect you must have booked this stay before you were Plat (especially if no amenity or free internet). For any reservations like this, make sure you confirm upon check-in, otherwise you may be showing up as Gold in their systems.
Old Jan 19, 12, 4:16 pm

If I do not luck out and get into a suite, nor have a room on the SPG floor, I have difficulty in figuring out if I have been upgraded. For example, I frequently am given a room overlooking the river with large picture windows @ the Westin River North in Chicago. I always am puzzled if this is an upgrade or not, as there are a number of different room types that most properties have and I always book the least expensive room. Almost always I am told that I have been upgraded or I am given a key holder that says "You have been upgraded". On some occasions I have not been impressed with these "Upgraded Rooms".
Old Jan 19, 12, 8:41 pm

Programs: Promus Preferred, ITT Sheraton Club
Yes, hopefully this thread is very short.

Last edited by Minneapolis; Feb 2, 12 at 3:59 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: