Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Four Points Barcelona Diagonal, Spain [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four Points Barcelona Diagonal, Spain [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2016, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fr33b13
I see that you're SPG Platinum, was breakfast with the better eggs not part of the fee breakfast? Can you or someone who has recently visited tell me what to expect for the fee Platinum breakfast?

Can you PM sites you normally use to find BRG rates? I'll be visiting in two months and this hotel sounds good for the value
Breakfast is fairly good. Good variety. Lots of fruit and bread / pastry options. The only "free" eggs are scrambled and not the best. Unlike many hotels, this one has lots of grilled vegetables, which my nutritionist really appreciates, if not necessarily my tastebuds! Platinums should not expect to order fried eggs for free, although I've never really thought to ask.

Use kayak.es for BRG checks. It picks up the Spanish online travel agencies to which this property regularly seems to dump inventory. Summer rates will be much higher than winter rates though.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Breakfast is fairly good. Good variety. Lots of fruit and bread / pastry options. The only "free" eggs are scrambled and not the best. Unlike many hotels, this one has lots of grilled vegetables, which my nutritionist really appreciates, if not necessarily my tastebuds! Platinums should not expect to order fried eggs for free, although I've never really thought to ask.

Use kayak.es for BRG checks. It picks up the Spanish online travel agencies to which this property regularly seems to dump inventory. Summer rates will be much higher than winter rates though.
Thank you for the post! Looks like it's 154 Euros per night on kayak.es in May (was hoping to get a 80/90 Euro rate)

Grilled vegetables for breakfast? GREAT! I never get enough veggies while on vacation.

Are there other hot food options besides the scrambled eggs?

Can you recommend any restaurants to get paella in Barcelona?
Old Mar 26, 2016, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Thank you for the post! Looks like it's 154 Euros per night on kayak.es in May (was hoping to get a 80/90 Euro rate)

Grilled vegetables for breakfast? GREAT! I never get enough veggies while on vacation.

Are there other hot food options besides the scrambled eggs?

Was there earlier in the month. Other hot food options were sausages & bacon as part of the buffet.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 12:10 pm
Suspended

one of my favorite places down on the beach in barceloneta is Cal Pinxo Platja

the restaurants in the catalunya history museum building in the same area are good as well, my favorite there being Merendero de la Mari

I like Fideua which is similar to paella except made with angel hair pasta rather than rice. Whatever you do, don't eat paella in a cafe or tapas bar with pictures of paella outside. these are usually individual industrial portions that are just reheated.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 2:37 pm

Both places recommended by BenSenise are good. I would recommed you as a local La Barraca restaurant which is one of the best paellas in Barcelona today and also Pez Vela quite trendy next to W. Enjoy!! And dont est paella in Las Ramblas above all!!
Old Mar 28, 2016, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Simple rule of thumb is that if the restaurant is willing to serve paella for one person, then it will be garbage.

A good paella will be shared by 2 or more people and be served directly from the large paella pan it was cooked in.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 10:46 am

Talking

Originally Posted by econ
Was there earlier in the month. Other hot food options were sausages & bacon as part of the buffet.
Thank you!

Originally Posted by BenSenise
one of my favorite places down on the beach in barceloneta is Cal Pinxo Platja

the restaurants in the catalunya history museum building in the same area are good as well, my favorite there being Merendero de la Mari

I like Fideua which is similar to paella except made with angel hair pasta rather than rice. Whatever you do, don't eat paella in a cafe or tapas bar with pictures of paella outside. these are usually individual industrial portions that are just reheated.
Thanks for the recommendations and Fideua sounds good. I do like pasta more than rice!

Originally Posted by santydrak
Both places recommended by BenSenise are good. I would recommed you as a local La Barraca restaurant which is one of the best paellas in Barcelona today and also Pez Vela quite trendy next to W. Enjoy!! And dont est paella in Las Ramblas above all!!
http://www.yelp.com/biz/barraca-barcelona - is it that one?

W sounds like it's far to get to since it's at the beach. Do you think it's worth the trek if I can go to La Barraca? or Merendero?

Simple rule of thumb is that if the restaurant is willing to serve paella for one person, then it will be garbage.

A good paella will be shared by 2 or more people and be served directly from the large paella pan it was cooked in.
Thanks for the tips from all to stay away from single serve and Las Ramblas!

Are there any other food/restaurant that I must try in Barcelona? I know it's not known for paella, but I have a craving.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 12:51 pm

I would make an exception for the paella sometimes served as part of the lunch menu (menu del día), especially on Thursdays. They are usually prepared in a big pan from which one portion is served for those who order it.

But stay away from the picture-restaurants, yes...
Old Mar 28, 2016, 3:02 pm

Thank you!

Thanks for the recommendations and Fideua sounds good. I do like pasta more than rice!

http://www.yelp.com/biz/barraca-barcelona - is it that one?

Yes it's that one!! No need to go to Pez Vela!!

W sounds like it's far to get to since it's at the beach. Do you think it's worth the trek if I can go to La Barraca? or Merendero?

Thanks for the tips from all to stay away from single serve and Las Ramblas!

Are there any other food/restaurant that I must try in Barcelona? I know it's not known for paella, but I have a craving.
What kind of food are you thinking of? Plenty of options!
Old Mar 28, 2016, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
Lots of seafood, escalivada, pa amb tomaquet (bread with tomato and olive oil and sea salt).
A few favorite restaurants of mine are Paco Meralgo, Lolita Taperia and Bar del Pla.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 8:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by spainlover
Lots of seafood, escalivada, pa amb tomaquet (bread with tomato and olive oil and sea salt).
A few favorite restaurants of mine are Paco Meralgo, Lolita Taperia and Bar del Pla.
oh, oh, paco meralgo, one of my faaaaaavorites. high end stuff and $$$$$ if i recall. haven't been there for a few years. i'm jonesing for a trip to BCN now!!!

as an aside, do you get the meaning of "paco meralgo?" it's para comer algo, to eat something, with para shortened to "pa" kind of like we say gonna for going to.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 9:16 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Was in Barcelona last August and enjoyed a great dinner at Casa de Tapas Cañota. Not sure what the locals think of it, but the four of us loved it!
Old Mar 28, 2016, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by santydrak
What kind of food are you thinking of? Plenty of options!
I'm thinking of traditional Barcelona food. I assume seafood is good since it's by the water, but I'm open for any good food recommendations.

I'll even try Asian food in Barcelona if y'all think it's good and different.

I'll have to look up those three you provided.

Are there any good hidden cheap eats hole in the wall type of places?

Is there a Spain version of yelp?
Old Mar 29, 2016, 4:42 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
I'm thinking of traditional Barcelona food. I assume seafood is good since it's by the water, but I'm open for any good food recommendations.

I'll even try Asian food in Barcelona if y'all think it's good and different.

I'll have to look up those three you provided.

Are there any good hidden cheap eats hole in the wall type of places?

Is there a Spain version of yelp?

None of the three I mentioned is crazy expensive. Paco Meralgo (yep, I got the meaning, BenSenise, thanks ) is pricey for Barcelona but compared to a meal in NYC where I live, it's a good deal. I've generally spent 30-40 euros there for a meal including drinks. Lolita and Bar del Pla you can definitely do for 20-30 euros.
Paco Meralgo: http://www.restaurantpacomeralgo.com/home/
Bar del Pla: http://www.bardelpla.cat/esp_bardelpla.html
Lolita Taperia: http://www.lolitataperia.com/es/

These aren't the cheapest places, but not super pricey either. There are a lot of places with "menu del dia" at lunch for 9-15 euros for a very filling meal.
For a bargain, stop by Cerveceria Catalana or the Kiosko Universal in the Boqueria market.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 9:56 pm

None of the three I mentioned is crazy expensive. Paco Meralgo (yep, I got the meaning, BenSenise, thanks ) is pricey for Barcelona but compared to a meal in NYC where I live, it's a good deal. I've generally spent 30-40 euros there for a meal including drinks. Lolita and Bar del Pla you can definitely do for 20-30 euros.
Paco Meralgo: http://www.restaurantpacomeralgo.com/home/
Bar del Pla: http://www.bardelpla.cat/esp_bardelpla.html
Lolita Taperia: http://www.lolitataperia.com/es/

These aren't the cheapest places, but not super pricey either. There are a lot of places with "menu del dia" at lunch for 9-15 euros for a very filling meal.
For a bargain, stop by Cerveceria Catalana or the Kiosko Universal in the Boqueria market.
Thank you! I'll take a look. I'm also in NYC! Do you know any good paella places in NY?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.