Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ: New Benefit for SPG Members - Award & Cash + Points Nights Count Toward Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: New Benefit for SPG Members - Award & Cash + Points Nights Count Toward Status

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2016, 6:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Every property gets to set their deposit requirements. They should be disclosed in the rate details. IME many properties will state an immediate deposit required but then they don't process it until closer to the stay, if at all.
Weird thing is that I booked two more rooms for friends on C+P but no charge pending yet. This is preferrable anyways because the my room charge that posted included the resort fee! My friends were all told that they will be covering that themselves at checkout.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by cdancer20
Weird thing is that I booked two more rooms for friends on C+P but no charge pending yet. This is preferrable anyways because the my room charge that posted included the resort fee! My friends were all told that they will be covering that themselves at checkout.
So it may not be just a property policy, but who's processing the rez at the property. Now that's gonna be tough to parlay.

As for your friends covering the resort fee... Keep in mind if you are hoping for credit for their rooms, the T&Cs call for you to pay for the rooms. One tactic that seems to work is to have them put a payment towards the rooms say the night before leaving a small amount for you to pay at check out. I believe the trick is to make sure your payment shows as the last payment on the account regardless of what the amount is.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 8:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RogerD408
So it may not be just a property policy, but who's processing the rez at the property. Now that's gonna be tough to parlay.

As for your friends covering the resort fee... Keep in mind if you are hoping for credit for their rooms, the T&Cs call for you to pay for the rooms. One tactic that seems to work is to have them put a payment towards the rooms say the night before leaving a small amount for you to pay at check out. I believe the trick is to make sure your payment shows as the last payment on the account regardless of what the amount is.
Thanks for this tidbit. I planned to cover the $75 cash rate at the hotel so that should cover me paying the room rate. Otherwise I will be quick to call CSR about it. But I can't be last to pay as I am checking out early on the last night.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 10:19 am
Suspended

If I book 2 separate award nights back to back (each has it's own reservation number), at same hotel, will it count for 2 stays?
Old Aug 30, 2016, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by BillyBaloney
If I book 2 separate award nights back to back (each has it's own reservation number), at same hotel, will it count for 2 stays?
It "shouldn't" but if it's not caught by the property or later by SPG, then a bad posting can be taken away. Technically, you need at least one night between stays to count as separate stays.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 3:43 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Plat (earned as Starwood), Canadian Amex Plat & resulting statuses, WestJet Silver
Originally Posted by BillyBaloney
For multiple stays at the same property, you're supposed to have at least one night in between checking out and checking in to get another stay credit, regardless of reservation numbers and whether it's a paid or award stay. There is a small chance they will give you two stays for back-to-back stays with unique reservation numbers as an oversight, but chances are they won't, especially if you stay in the same room both nights.
Old May 14, 2017, 6:42 pm

I'm considering a Cash/Points stay at Aloft. Will the platinum amenity breakfast be offered as usual? IE, can I forego the 250 points and choose breakfast ( 3 night stay)? I've only done one C&P stay before and can't remember the T&C.
Thanks.
Old May 14, 2017, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Yup, cash vs. C&P vs. full points are irrelevant when it comes to benefits in-stay
Old Mar 31, 2018, 7:19 pm

Will I earn “ night stay “ on a hotel room redeem point

I redeem a spg hotel room by redeem point , will I earn “night stay “ for my status ?
Old Mar 31, 2018, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Yes, you'll earn 1 stay and 1 night.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 3:08 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
You'll earn 1 stay for every night you stay. Even on points reservations.
Old May 21, 2018, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
SPG experts: do combined award plus paid stays earn full SPG points for the room rate and incidentals spend on the paid nights? I know I'll get night/stay credit, but what about points earning?

I have 4 nights booked next week at a normal paid rate. I now need to arrive 1 day earlier. Looking at an award night for this as the paid rates are now exorbitant. So night 1 would be award, nights 2-5 paid. Any issues?

I stay mostly with Hilton, and they used to disqualify all points earning on the paid rates for combined stays like this.
Old May 21, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
SPG experts: do combined award plus paid stays earn full SPG points for the room rate and incidentals spend on the paid nights? I know I'll get night/stay credit, but what about points earning?

I have 4 nights booked next week at a normal paid rate. I now need to arrive 1 day earlier. Looking at an award night for this as the paid rates are now exorbitant. So night 1 would be award, nights 2-5 paid. Any issues?

I stay mostly with Hilton, and they used to disqualify all points earning on the paid rates for combined stays like this.
You should be fine. You may have to switch rooms after the first night, depending on the hotel's occupancy. You'll also earn points on qualifying incidental charges for both the paid night and the award nights.
Old May 21, 2018, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JJeffrey

You will only get points (on room rate) for paid stays, plus incidentals (other than room rate) for all stays. You should not get points for the cash portion of a C&P stay (although some properties mess that up).

When you book the extra night, be sure to pick the same room type on the C&P so you shouldn't have to move between rezzies. Also, make a note on the C&P that you will be staying over and list the confirmation number.

Yes, HH's habit of negating points on any stay tied to a point stay was nasty. My trick was to book the point stay under another name and the paid stay under mine to get the points. You get funny looks when checking in as Mr Smith... hehehe
Old May 21, 2018, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Not exactly OT, a reminder that Hilton now gives full points for the cash spent on a cash + points night. However, since those are technically award stays, not sure if they give points now for those combined with full cash nights?
Moving back on track, given the crummy 250 point current bonus, this might be a good period to use award stats (for status).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.