Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Uninvited guest had a key to my room / I was given a key to an occupied room

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Uninvited guest had a key to my room / I was given a key to an occupied room

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2011, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA (lame duck)1K, US Plat,HHonors Diamond, PC Plat, SPG Plat, MR Platinum
Originally Posted by mecabq
Sure, and the person who entered the room wrongly could have been an axe murderer, or could have just escaped from a mental institution prior to checking into the hotel. Or it could have been a SWAT team with shoot-on-sight orders.

By the same token, the guest in the room could be staying in the hotel to recuperate from open-heart surgery, could have a gun under this pillow, or could have been in the midst of a cocaine-fueled tryst with an underage girl.

Just because we can dream up these unfortunate scenarios, doesn't mean that the victim deserves a level of compensation that would be appropriate were one of them the actual case.

I think that every instance in which this has happened on this board has been like my experience -- the enterer of the room quickly realizes the mistake, gets embarrassed, then sheepishly but quickly exits the room, then the victim dead-bolts the door and goes back to sleeping or whatever else he/she was doing.
Way to take things out of context. It could have been worse, had it been, the compensation required would be in a court and enormous, however unlikely the possibilities are.

It wasn't worse, but it was a significant error on the part of the hotel, the guest was justifiably frightened by it, and a full refund of points and $, is very reasonable was my point.

Mistakes by a good business that understands importance of customer service typically is quickly forgiven, and often results in tremendous loyalty when you screw up and admit your mistake and then go above and beyond to correct your error. Often this means some financial cost to the business. OP is completely reasonable to expect the $60 and points back.

With 20+ years of sales and sales management some of my most loyal customers are those in which we had a big ol snafu or screw up with and we bent over backwards to correct it, compensate. The goal is to show them that we all make mistakes sometimes, but they're patronage is the ultimate reason we exist.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 7:31 pm

Programs: Starwood Lifetime Platinum; Hilton HHonors Gold; United Premier Gold
Originally Posted by mecabq
Be happy and chalk it up as an amusing travel anecdote.
You gotta be kidding.

Amusing?!?

I've been on the wrong end of this, given keys to a room at the old Sheraton Stamford (CT) at midnight, only to walk into a pitch black room to discover a couple already sleeping in the room/bed.

It scared the living hell out of me, and I got out of there as fast as I could. Part of me was amazed that the guy in the room didn't wake up and pull a gun or knife on me, in self-defense from the unexpected room "invasion". Luckily, he didn't wake up.

The idiot at the front desk thought it was funny when I told him what happened, and I was very, very stern with him when I explained how frightened his lack of attention to detail had made me.

I never forgot that incident. It was 1994, and I didn't go looking for points or a refund, but I also never returned to that hotel. Scary as hell, pure and simple.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 7:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by signothetimes53
You gotta be kidding.

Amusing?!?

I've been on the wrong end of this, given keys to a room at the old Sheraton Stamford (CT) at midnight, only to walk into a pitch black room to discover a couple already sleeping in the room/bed.

I never forgot that incident. It was 1994, and I didn't go looking for points or a refund, but I also never returned to that hotel. Scary as hell, pure and simple.

Scary as hell? Wow. I envy you.

C'mon. It is a bit annoying, but the kind of experience we can usually live through without needing years of therapy.

The hotel should simply refund the night's cost in points and money (to keep a good customer), and the OP should simply lock and latch his door from now on.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Originally Posted by yeunganson
That's one of the fears I have of the USA. I did, once, given a key to a room that was still occupied. It was the afternoon though and they guy was getting dressed in front of the mirror.

I do fear crazies that would shoot first and ask questions later.

At this case, results matter. No one was shot and no one got a heart attack thus it is a minor mistake....

Of course if something serious happened, then eventhough the front desk clerk's actions are the same, the mistake is serious. Luck plays a part in life.
Glad you survived the "wild west"! My question is how can they assign one guest to anothers room? Is their not a computer program that would flag that type of action?
Old Sep 14, 2011, 8:27 pm

This story prompted me to go check the double-latch on my room...
Old Sep 15, 2011, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by CNWO4LIFE
Glad you survived the "wild west"! My question is how can they assign one guest to anothers room? Is their not a computer program that would flag that type of action?
justspg has a good theory in post #54....
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:37 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Gold, SPG Platinum, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by tinkybelle
I have made "mistakes" and forgotten to cancel hotel bookings

they have always kept my cash.
I book a flight i miss it because of work commitments I have to pay for another flight
he is getting on with it
he is asking for compensation for being woken up in a fright with someone standing over him in a dark room
they made a mistake they should pay for their mistake like we all have to pay for our mistakes.
+1
Old Sep 15, 2011, 2:17 pm

Programs: Starwood Lifetime Platinum; Hilton HHonors Gold; United Premier Gold
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Scary as hell? Wow. I envy you.

C'mon. It is a bit annoying, but the kind of experience we can usually live through without needing years of therapy.

The hotel should simply refund the night's cost in points and money (to keep a good customer), and the OP should simply lock and latch his door from now on.
Again, I didn't ask for anything free in compensation.

But I was very frightened.

If something like this only "annoys" you, well, you're a braver man than me.

However, I also have neighbors who did a Hawaiian vacation trip in the early 90s that included a one-night layover at an LAX hotel. Their room was invaded at midnight by two guys with guns. They were tied up and robbed, and luckily were not beaten or killed. Bad stuff can happen in hotels that go beyond being "annoying"....and yeah, they should have locked and latched their door, too. Hindsight is always 20/20.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by seawolf
Both parties at fault here. They should fully refund you. OP should have locked the door.
Completely wrong.

Sure, the OP could have locked the door with the latch. But, it is not the "fault" of the OP that the front desk gave someone else keys to her room. Maybe the OP wasn't wise. Maybe the OP should have latched the door. Fine. But, it wasn't her "fault."

It is completely the property's fault.

Fault Scorecard:

Property - 100%
Customer - 0%

Last edited by JFKSFOLAX_friend; Sep 15, 2011 at 10:45 pm
Old Sep 15, 2011, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, Bonvoy LT Titanium, National EE
Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
Completely wrong.

Sure, the OP could have locked the door with the latch. But, it is not the "fault" of the OP that the front desk gave someone else keys to her room. Maybe the OP wasn't wise. Maybe the OP should have latched the door. Fine. But, it wasn't her "fault."

Fault Scorecard:

Property - 100%
Customer - 0%
+1. Amazed how some people blame the OP and are being hotel apologists.

The front desk screwed up, plain and simple.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 12:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Viking547
Amazed how some people blame the OP and are being hotel apologists.
I am not amazed.

Apologists is one thing Flyertalk is not short on.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9330; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.522 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Originally Posted by Viking547
Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
Completely wrong.

Fault Scorecard:

Property - 100%
Customer - 0%
+1. Amazed how some people blame the OP and are being hotel apologists.

The front desk screwed up, plain and simple.
I'm falling on this side too. As far as the op was concerned, when he got to his room and closed the door behind him, he was behind a locked door. While I'm sure he'll use the safety latch from now on, this is 100% a property issue and I'd have included enough points for a free night in addition to the comped folio. Just my pov.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 6:16 am
Suspended

In terms of comp, OP should receive complete refund of night's stay plus enough points for one night at the hotel.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Thumbs up Thank you FT!

Wow, I didn't know I would start such a lively discussion! Thank you all for your comments. Based on your feedback, I followed up with the hotel and I was given 5,000 points. (4,000 refund, 1,000 goodwill). I feel fully compensated now, and as I said before I will DEFINITELY be using all of the locks in the future. As a single girl, I certainly should have been using them all along...
Old Sep 16, 2011, 1:32 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by spmosley
Wow, I didn't know I would start such a lively discussion! Thank you all for your comments. Based on your feedback, I followed up with the hotel and I was given 5,000 points. (4,000 refund, 1,000 goodwill). I feel fully compensated now, and as I said before I will DEFINITELY be using all of the locks in the future. As a single girl, I certainly should have been using them all along...
Did they refund the cash portion? I would not settle for anything less.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.