FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Uninvited guest had a key to my room / I was given a key to an occupied room
Old Sep 14, 2011, 3:03 pm
jkburns1

Programs: UA (lame duck)1K, US Plat,HHonors Diamond, PC Plat, SPG Plat, MR Platinum
Originally Posted by mecabq
Sure, and the person who entered the room wrongly could have been an axe murderer, or could have just escaped from a mental institution prior to checking into the hotel. Or it could have been a SWAT team with shoot-on-sight orders.

By the same token, the guest in the room could be staying in the hotel to recuperate from open-heart surgery, could have a gun under this pillow, or could have been in the midst of a cocaine-fueled tryst with an underage girl.

Just because we can dream up these unfortunate scenarios, doesn't mean that the victim deserves a level of compensation that would be appropriate were one of them the actual case.

I think that every instance in which this has happened on this board has been like my experience -- the enterer of the room quickly realizes the mistake, gets embarrassed, then sheepishly but quickly exits the room, then the victim dead-bolts the door and goes back to sleeping or whatever else he/she was doing.
Way to take things out of context. It could have been worse, had it been, the compensation required would be in a court and enormous, however unlikely the possibilities are.

It wasn't worse, but it was a significant error on the part of the hotel, the guest was justifiably frightened by it, and a full refund of points and $, is very reasonable was my point.

Mistakes by a good business that understands importance of customer service typically is quickly forgiven, and often results in tremendous loyalty when you screw up and admit your mistake and then go above and beyond to correct your error. Often this means some financial cost to the business. OP is completely reasonable to expect the $60 and points back.

With 20+ years of sales and sales management some of my most loyal customers are those in which we had a big ol snafu or screw up with and we bent over backwards to correct it, compensate. The goal is to show them that we all make mistakes sometimes, but they're patronage is the ultimate reason we exist.