Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Women falls out window at W Atlanta, dies.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2011, 2:29 am

Programs: SPG, FPC, US
Originally Posted by jewelz
All those who are waiting to hear why this tragedy is some how the fault of the two young ladies are heartless. How can you consciously judge a situation which you didn't experience. It is being reported as a tragic accident besides when did two ladies playing around become a crime? Why is it that their character as females are coming into question? When you hear about a woman going into another country getting drunk and going missing you don't hear she should have been smarter. Is she considered the "typical slut"!!! When you hear about a tragic accident of someone falling off a boat and drowning do you wait to hear if the person was a typical ignorant young alcoholic playing around on the boat? To say the W should raise the price is to assume that they are low class individuals looking for trouble. I look forward to the day that judgmental, egregious, profligate .......s like yourself find yourself needing the help of those you look down on.
It's not like the hotel pushed them out of the window. According to media reports and the police, the women were acting like fools and, because of their actions, fell out of the window. Therefore, it's their fault.

I'm sure a lawyer can and will argue otherwise, however, since that is how our amazing judicial system works.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Originally Posted by jewelz
All those who are waiting to hear why this tragedy is some how the fault of the two young ladies are heartless. How can you consciously judge a situation which you didn't experience. It is being reported as a tragic accident besides when did two ladies playing around become a crime? Why is it that their character as females are coming into question? When you hear about a woman going into another country getting drunk and going missing you don't hear she should have been smarter. Is she considered the "typical slut"!!! When you hear about a tragic accident of someone falling off a boat and drowning do you wait to hear if the person was a typical ignorant young alcoholic playing around on the boat? To say the W should raise the price is to assume that they are low class individuals looking for trouble. I look forward to the day that judgmental, egregious, profligate .......s like yourself find yourself needing the help of those you look down on.
Who said they were "sluts"? Thats a vivid imagination. Besides 03:30 in the morning two grown women wrestling in a hotel room. You think that is somehow appropriate?
Old Jun 2, 2011, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
We stayed at that hotel and thank God we did not get into a wrestling match. But this is indeed a sad occurrence. RIP.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 7:45 am

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
When is the last time you heard or known of to 30 year old women play fighting? Seriously?
Old Jun 2, 2011, 7:48 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by omars007
Kelly -- I absolutely agree with you. The rates are so cheap at this W, that it seems to attract such a "trouble-making" or [insert the Atlanta term] type of crowd. This hotel has gone down tremendously in the three years I have lived in Atlanta. W Buckhead also headed in the same direction, and don't get me started on Downtown. Unfortunately, it seems that you can't escape the "trouble-making" crowd in Atlanta.
first, the W Buckhead has always sucked.

second, i don't know why you think these two were trouble makers. you want to RAISE the rates at the hotels so everyone is paying more?!? lunacy.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL Gold, CO, SPG gold, FL Elite
Originally Posted by mrredskin

second, i don't know why you think these two were trouble makers. you want to RAISE the rates at the hotels so everyone is paying more?!? lunacy.
Sorry. My post was not meant to evoke a lack a sympathy for the tragic event which recently occurred. I did not say that the two involved were "trouble makers" nor did I mean to imply that was the case, but it's hard to argue that this W does an excellent job of attracting that type of crowd.

As far as legal theories for recovery, I'm sure that a plaintiff's lawyer is going to attack Starwood and the builder on some negligence theory that the window was negligently installed or negligently maintained (in addition to other possible claims). Unfortunately, GA follows a modified comparative fault system which will preclude any recovery by the plaintiff if the % of fault assigned to the plaintiff exceeds 49%. Hard to tell the outcome even if we had all the facts as juries are sometimes crazy.

mrredskin: I personally don't care what they charge at the W-Midtown as I do not stay there. However, raising the rates some would surely class up the crowds there Friday/Saturday nights.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by mrredskin

The deaths did not happen at the Buckhead W, they happened at the Midtown W. This property was originally built as the Colony Square Hotel. It had one of the very few ice skating rinks in Atlanta at the time.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 7:27 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by bigbuy
The deaths did not happen at the Buckhead W, they happened at the Midtown W. This property was originally built as the Colony Square Hotel. It had one of the very few ice skating rinks in Atlanta at the time.
i'm aware. i was commenting on omars remark about the W Buckhead when he mentioned it
Old Jun 3, 2011, 11:50 pm

Here is another local news story:

http://www.11alive.com/news/article/...-about-windows

Also, there is a recent photo (at TripAdvisor) from inside a room at this hotel.

It seems that both women somehow fell through the bottom pane (45 inches wide and 38 inches high, according to the local TV news) of the window.

According to another news story, the deceased woman's boyfriend (who was one of seven people in the room at the time) tried to grab the back of his girlfriend's hair as she fell.

Yet another story quotes more of the boyfriend's statements to the press:

He says Lashawna was hugging her close friend.... Williams' back was against the glass and the women were leaning against it. ... “Just within an instant—they literally flew out of the window.” ... “Two girls, 110, 120 pounds, you can't put a lot of pressure on anything when you're standing against it.”
I just have a very hard time trying to imagine how two people could go from a standing position to falling under a three-foot-high bar.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 12:09 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat, UA Silver, Delta Silver
I just watched that news clip from 11Alive and it seems the boyfriend isn't telling telling the whole story and leaving a lot of details.

They were just "standing there" and just both went out?

If you look at the way the glass broke and how parts of it are intact it doesn't seem like they rolled through it (as what would happen in "play wrestling"). Imho it seems more plausible that one person was tackled by the other a couple feet away from the window and they both crashed through the bottom window.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 8:12 pm

Here is a more recent overview of the situation on an opinionated blog:

http://www.blackcelebrityenergy.com/...t-w-hotel.html
Old Sep 25, 2011, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA, WN, SPG, HGP, FPC
I agree. Two women falling out of a 38 in high window just doesn't happen. Fishy story. Hope the family suing is ready for what comes out during the trial.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 5:40 am

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
wow. great story. sounds very shady. we all stay in hotels and know these windows dont just pop out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.