Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

San Francisco Area Starwood Hotels (General Discussion 2008 Onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

San Francisco Area Starwood Hotels (General Discussion 2008 Onward)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2008, 12:10 am

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
I got a great deal on a suite ($195/night) at the Le Meridien San Francisco (through the Hotel Deals forum, thanks FT!) for the weekend of Sept. 26-28. The room is listed as:
Room Features : Luxury Suite Non-smoking, Partial Bay View, Separate Living Area, Upper Floor, 42 Inch Plasma Tv
Is this a "true" suite (multiple rooms/separate bedroom) or just a larger room with a sitting area (what passes for a "suite" many times these days).

Also, since making this reservation, I made SPG Platinum. Can I expect an upgrade of any type from this room (since it is already a "suite")? If no, can I expect any other benefit instead?

TIA, I'm rather new to the SPG game. And looking forward to my first "DO" in S.F. as well!
Old Aug 23, 2008, 1:49 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by CPRich
Simple questions - one night for a 6am flight at SFO - Westin or Sheraton at $38 cheaper?

(both cheaper than the 4P)
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
That's farrrr from the city
i know it is far but the orginal poster wanted a hotel close for an early flight out of SFO thats why i voted dor sheraton gateway. sorry blissworld
Old Sep 1, 2008, 12:37 pm

I'll be in San Francisco with my family for a couple of days early November and need some advice on 2 hotels: Stay at Le Meridien or the Westin Market Street?
Which one is the nicer of the two? I'm asking since people seem to be "raving" about Le Meridien.

I stayed at the Westin twice in April and my stay was perfect. "No" wasn't part of anyones vocabulary I spoke with (even though I asked for a another room on both stays). The rooms looked new and clean and the decor was typical Westin (which I like btw).

BTW, I've never stayed at any Le Meridien and I'm only looking at an Executive room at Le Meridien or a Deluxe room at the Westin. What I'm looking for is a CLEAN, comfortable, and good looking room.
Thanks!
Old Sep 13, 2008, 5:35 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
I dont have an answer for you as yet, but I will be staying at LM shortly so once I have completed my stay, I can provide some info.

I hope its good too .

Maybe some other FTers can help out with this??
Old Sep 13, 2008, 11:43 am

Programs: AC down to Orange lol, Marriott Silver?
I personally prefer the Le Meridien which used to be a Park Hyatt. I was there over a weekend and upgraded to a junior suite with balcony but I am Plat so not sure if you would get the upgrade as a Gold. It is fairly quiet over the weekend since it is in the financial district.

Westin Market Street is perfectly fine. Fairly new renovation of Argent? hotel from 1-2 years ago. I got a room on a high floor with a great view but the room was pretty small.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 10:03 am

Le Meridien SF is tops for me!

Originally Posted by Big Mac
I'll be in San Francisco with my family for a couple of days early November and need some advice on 2 hotels: Stay at Le Meridien or the Westin Market Street?
Which one is the nicer of the two? I'm asking since people seem to be "raving" about Le Meridien.

I stayed at the Westin twice in April and my stay was perfect. "No" wasn't part of anyones vocabulary I spoke with (even though I asked for a another room on both stays). The rooms looked new and clean and the decor was typical Westin (which I like btw).

BTW, I've never stayed at any Le Meridien and I'm only looking at an Executive room at Le Meridien or a Deluxe room at the Westin. What I'm looking for is a CLEAN, comfortable, and good looking room.
Thanks!
The rooms at Le Meridien are more spacious than the Westin, with wonderful Bay views. The staff at LM there has always been very gracious. The financial district (where LM is located) can be a bit far removed from the action, although there are good restaurants close by. Ultimately, both hotels are nice and I would make a decision based on your preferred location.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 6:19 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Back from USA trip. I LOVED the LM SFO ^ :-:. Had a really nice suite on a high SPG floor (on travelzoo deal) which had great bay views and bridge views. Huge bathroom, large separate living room and smaller bedroom with door to close between living room. Two tvs - one a huge 42 inch flat screen. The service was great, concierge was very good. Gave great restaurant tips - go to Belden square for dinner ^.

Only issue we had was our spa bath was faulty and I had ask for maintenance and cleaning staff 3 days in a row to fix it to no avail. It was basically not clean and every time we turned it on it left filfthy muck all around bath and in water. So gross! Finally the manager heard my issue and comped me two buffet breakfasts. That was the only downer, really!

My friend stayed across the hall from us in a suite also and his room was also lovely, but had a balcony with great bay views. We got the spa bath, which his didnt have. The rooms are nice and well appointed with complimentary water and (sometimes sporadic) turn down service.

I also enjoyed the business centre with free PCs and internet access ^.

I didnt find the location to be an issue and we were there over the weekend. We walked to Belden Sq restaurants and also walked to Fishermans wharf from the hotel. It was a nice, easy 20 min walk. There is a great Diner at end of street that LM hotel is on near the Piers (I think it was called City Diner). Its in a cable car, and was great for a bit of fun.

All in all, a great stay :-: ^.

Last edited by Downunder girl; Oct 30, 2008 at 6:57 am
Old Oct 30, 2008, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by Downunder girl
All in all, a great stay :-: ^.
Good to hear!!
So glad you enjoyed!!

Dave
Old Nov 16, 2008, 4:56 pm

Are there any of the Starwood Hotels in San Francisco that have a SPG concierge lounge and offer a complimentary continental breakfast?
Old Nov 16, 2008, 7:14 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Life_Platinum
Are there any of the Starwood Hotels in San Francisco that have a SPG concierge lounge and offer a complimentary continental breakfast?
The Sheraton at the SFO airport and the Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 7:37 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Incredibly disappointed tonight. Had a reservation at the W; they couldn't find it although the Platinum Concierge saw it 10 minutes before I arrived. Now at the Westin on Market Street.

NO benefits to being a Platinum.

Internet is $14.95 per 24 hours.

No lounge, no breakfast coupons, no water, no service.

Called Service Express for a recommendation for a restaurant. Was told "I'll transfer you to the Bell Desk." Transferred there where the bell desk person said "I am not from here; call the front desk."

According to the front desk, "the concierge left for the day (this was at 6 PM)."

I guess the motto for these hotels tonight is NO Service at NO time.

Very disappointing.

The room itself is nice. Flat Panel TV, lots of plugs around the desk, nice view. Told that there were no suites although the website shows these being sold. Was told by the manager on duty that they don't give out those suites since somebody may purchase them.

It's one night but it is rather disappointing to have such a lack of service. Good location though!
Old Nov 16, 2008, 8:08 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ldsant
Incredibly disappointed tonight. Had a reservation at the W; they couldn't find it although the Platinum Concierge saw it 10 minutes before I arrived. Now at the Westin on Market Street.
Did you consider calling the Platinum Concierge back from the front desk and have them talk to the front desk staff?

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Nov 16, 2008 at 8:23 pm Reason: Fixed ubb coding to make quote easier to read
Old Nov 16, 2008, 8:31 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by stc
Did you consider calling the Platinum Concierge back from the front desk and have them talk to the front desk staff?
Yes. Tried that; they said "we'll transfer you to Corporate Customer Service. . ." which is closed on Sundays. First time I've had a poor experience with the Plat Concierge in quite a very long time.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 8:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Talk to the day manager at the Westin Market St. After my last OPH issue (other people's hair), he promised action, acknwledged their shortcomings and offered me some SPG points. I put him on notice that his hotel was being blogged about extensively and the reviews from savvy SPG business travelers were often very negative.

They need to keep hearing it. I have a stay there this coming week, and if I find either the staff acting their usual surly self or another OPH incident, I'm going to raise holy hell there.

They really need to get their act together - their continued blase attitude and painfully lacking acknowledgment of SPG benefits is really growing tiresome.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 8:35 pm
stc

Originally Posted by ldsant
Yes. Tried that; they said "we'll transfer you to Corporate Customer Service. . ." which is closed on Sundays. First time I've had a poor experience with the Plat Concierge in quite a very long time.
Ugh. Well, I hope you follow up. Please let us know what they do. Frankly I think they need to comp the night as they essentially "walked" you with a confirmed reservation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.