Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Need an extra glass in your room? Sure, they're $6.40 each. How many would you like?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need an extra glass in your room? Sure, they're $6.40 each. How many would you like?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2010, 6:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist

I've traveled a lot, over a number of years. This was a first.

Le Parker Meridien, New York -- a hotel I've grown to appreciate, as I love the location and have always received a Platinum upgrade to a Junior Suite, and my stays have consistently been without incident.

But this was a first. Shortly after arrival, some friends are coming to our room join us for a drink before heading out for dinner. We have two suitable glasses on the minibar. No problem, there must be two glasses in the bathroom.

Bzzzzzzzzt. They've opted for cutesy shot glasses -- truly, shot glasses -- in the bathroom, to go along with their tall skinny branding theme. Form over function. Stupid choice. Oh well, I'll call room service.
Me: "Hi, I wonder if I can get a bucket of ice delivered."

Room Service lady:
"There's an ice machine on your floor."

Me: "Oh, ok, great. Thanks. I wonder if I could I get two drink glasses delivered?"

Room service lady: "There is a charge of $6.40 per glass."

Me:
"I don't want to buy them -- I just want to use them."

Room service lady:
"Sir, there is a charge of $6.40 per glass. You still want 'em?"

Me: "No thanks."
Absolutely incredible. I've never encountered anything like it. $12.80 charge for the use of two water glasses. Shame on them.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 6:36 pm

Programs: starwood plat 5*elite svo, usair, delta, jetblue, southwest, nwa
next time call and say that you had NO glasses and hide the 2 in the drawer.

i hate being nickle and dimed.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 6:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Yet another reason I hate New York. It's just Las Vegas without the neon.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
I think too many of their shot glasses have disappeared. It was the wife you know.

Seriously. You should have asked them if they wanted to chain it or glue it to something to prevent it from walking off. Enjoy the rest of your trip!
Old Oct 25, 2010, 8:28 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World

Room Service lady:

Me: "Oh, ok, great. Thanks. I wonder if I could I get two drink glasses delivered?"

Me:

Room service lady:

It is at that point that I would quickly call the front desk and ask to speak to a manager and inform him that I expect free glasses to be delivered to my room quickly.

I used to stay at LPM 3-4 days per week for months on end, and this surprises me very much.

FWIW, moving one of the "real" glasses to the bathroom sink (in place of a shot glass) was part of my weekly check-in routine at this property.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 8:43 pm

Programs: *wood LifePLT, UsAir CHAIR
Good thing you didnt ask for a wine opener.... Ill never stay at that property again..
Old Oct 25, 2010, 9:01 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Unbelievable. Starwood's customer service decline truly is happening quickly! CHARGING for you to USE the glass?! What's next?

Charging for using toilet paper?!

Although personally, I guess in theory you really didn't need glasses - just drink from the bottle
Old Oct 25, 2010, 9:02 pm
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
Maybe, they will charge extra towels next time.
Unbelievable indeed!
Old Oct 25, 2010, 9:29 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I seriously hate those shot glasses. I wonder if you could have presented the option of them taking the silly shot glasses in exchange for leaving functional water glasses.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
If they took two shot glasses back by their way of calculating he would end up with only a 2/3 glass and a $2.13 upcharge.

Better yet! Maybe the use of two extra glasses during your stay will become a Platinum amenity option. Or I can spot you the 500 points pending their safe return to housekeeping.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Old Oct 25, 2010, 9:44 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
I'm just shocked then again something similar happened to me at the Hyatt Regency SFO when I asked for a plate and some silverware as I had ordered some food to go from the restaurant downstairs.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:13 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
If you feel that this has something to do with Starwood's Customer Service level, then I would advise you to ring up Customer care to bring this up as a feedback.

Thank you.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
I've traveled a lot, over a number of years. This was a first.

Le Parker Meridien, New York -- a hotel I've grown to appreciate, as I love the location and have always received a Platinum upgrade to a Junior Suite, and my stays have consistently been without incident.

But this was a first. Shortly after arrival, some friends are coming to our room join us for a drink before heading out for dinner. We have two suitable glasses on the minibar. No problem, there must be two glasses in the bathroom.

Bzzzzzzzzt. They've opted for cutesy shot glasses -- truly, shot glasses -- in the bathroom, to go along with their tall skinny branding theme. Form over function. Stupid choice. Oh well, I'll call room service.

Room Service lady:

Me:

Room service lady:

Me: "No thanks."
Absolutely incredible. I've never encountered anything like it. $12.80 charge for the use of two water glasses. Shame on them.
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
PMSL
I spend about 75-80 days/yr in NYC and know most Starwood options well.
Yes this is not good for NYC and should not happen.Perhaps they have lost so many glasses in the past but this should not happen to any guests especially those who are their most frequent.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 12:13 am

Programs: SPG Gold, SQ Blue, OZ Diamond, JAVA and occasionally C
Threaten to check-out unless you get your free glasses. Let's see how they'd react to that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.