Wiki Posts
Search

SPG Amex foreign charge warning

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2010, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH diamond
SPG Amex foreign charge warning

Used my card for a business related charge.

Amex is reports add 2.7% Forex fee to the charge. However, the actual amt that Amex charges is MUCH HIGHER than advertised. The going exchange rate for the date was $1.285 (fluctuating by a few one-thousandths of cents) to 1 euro. Well, Amex used an exchange rate of $1.3056, 2 cents higher than the prevailing rate. In essence, they helped themselves to a charge equal to almost 5% of the charge!
IMO, this is deceptive practice.

A charge done with CapitalOne on the same day revealed they used an exchange rate of $1.287.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I'm not sure of

a) Your source of the exchange rate. Most folks use something like what the WSJ does, which is the interbank rate on large transactions.

b) Your math. Two cents on 1.285 is not 5%.

c) The terms on Capital One. I think the use zero foreign exchange fee that they add on (Visa or MC will add on 1% as their slice, which is separate from your bank or Amex's fee.

My guess is that AMEX does exactly what they say they do.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 3:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by beachfan

c) The terms on Capital One. I think the use zero foreign exchange fee that they add on (Visa or MC will add on 1% as their slice, which is separate from your bank or Amex's fee.
b) He's including the 2.7% forex fee. The cumulative total is actually closer to 4.3%.
c) The Capital One World MasterCard includes no forex fee and no MC fee. Plus, it's a 1% cash back card...
Old Aug 13, 2010, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

I'm not sure of

a) Your source of the exchange rate. Most folks use something like what the WSJ does, which is the interbank rate on large transactions.

My guess is that AMEX does exactly what they say they do.
Unfortunately, your math is off. Amex charged: 2.7%+1.55% (upcharge from adding 2cents to forex). The rate charged by Amex is as mahasamatman says: about 4.3% EXTRA.
Amex claims to add only 2.7% to foreign charges but the truth is it is much higher.

CapitalOne adds no fees at all. Since their fee is 0%, it is easy to figure out the exchange rate they used.

Also xe.com gives a real time view of Forex. Since I knew I was making a foreign charge, I followed the rates over the course of the day out of curiosity. I never saw a rate above $1.288. Don't know where Amex got their exchange rate.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Are you talking about the day of the purchase or the day it posted? I'm not sure exactly what AMEX uses, but my guess is that if you check the rates at adjacent days, you would find that it's in line with one of them.

I've done the math enough times on my statement to be sure that as of last year, when I last checked, it was an honest calculation.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Are you talking about the day of the purchase or the day it posted? I'm not sure exactly what AMEX uses, but my guess is that if you check the rates at adjacent days, you would find that it's in line with one of them.
They were one and the same. Amex posted the charge on the same date it was charged. As did CapitalOne. Yet Amex used a higher forex rate. One that I was unable to find for the date involved. In fact, in subsequent days, the exchange rate has actually DECREASED.

I've done the math enough times on my statement to be sure that as of last year, when I last checked, it was an honest calculation.
You are fortunate or weren't paying close attention to the actual forex RATE (not Amex added fee) used. By using a higher forex rate, Amex is in essence adding a hidden fee to their overall "exchange".

I only used the Amex because it was a business expense for the business card. OTW, I stopped using it overseas as I noticed this same discrepancy many times before. It is creeping higher as Amex increases its overt "foreign exchange fee". This 2.7% "foreign exchange fee" is DIFFERENT and in addition to the hidden charge from using a higher foreign exchange RATE.

I'm just going to stick to CapitalOne, business expense or not. I want to support those CC that don't scam the consumers with these extra charges that serve primarily as a profit centers with no added service.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I used my SPG AMEX for a few charges in France in June, and the charges in US dollars are close to the charges in euros +~3%, so I'm satisfied that the 2.7% was in effect. There was no separate 2.7% fee, the fee was included in the effective conversion rate. My Visa charges during the same trip had separate line item of the 3% forex fee.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold
OP, just for clarity, exactly what day was the charge made on?
Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:54 pm

For Amex (and probably Visa/MC as well), I think you need to use the posting date, not the date of the charge, to determine the conversion rates and fees. IIRC, there's a calculator on xe.com for calculating the exact hidden credit card charges.

-David
Old Aug 14, 2010, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by acf573
OP, just for clarity, exactly what day was the charge made on?
Amex charge AND posting were Aug 12th. Exchange rates since 11th have been $1.28ish or LOWER on xe.com. Amex used $1.305 for the Aug 12th posting/charge and their 2.7% charge was posted as a separate line item from the converted charge.

CapitalOne's charge AND posting were also on the 12th. Their exchange rate was $1.287.

Charges AND posting to the BOTH CC were the same date. So why the large difference in exchange rates? (FYI, 2 cents is a huge amt to fluctuate in ONE day.) Since the Amex charge was a large one, it made a substantial addition to the costs.

I have noticed this difference in the past. As a result, stopped using the Amex overseas, even before they upped their "convenience fee".
Old Aug 14, 2010, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by travelinfoo
(FYI, 2 cents is a huge amt to fluctuate in ONE day.)
On August 11, it opened at roughly 1.315 and closed at 1.285, a 3 cent fluctuation just the prior day.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 11:53 am

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold
Originally Posted by travelinfoo
Amex charge AND posting were Aug 12th. Exchange rates since 11th have been $1.28ish or LOWER on xe.com. Amex used $1.305 for the Aug 12th posting/charge and their 2.7% charge was posted as a separate line item from the converted charge.
Interesting. I was wondering if it had been done on the 11th (when, as beachfan noted, the euro got crushed) in which case Amex could be slightly lagged, but a 2 day lag seems very odd.

I've also noticed Amex as being a bit strange as to the exact exchange rate they choose to use. With Citibank I can look at spot rates on various days and am almost always extremely close (say within 25 basis points or so). Amex much less so.

In fact, reading their forex disclosure, it says:
The rate we use is no more than the highest official rate published by a government agency or the highest interbank rate we identify from customary banking sources on the conversion date or the prior business day.
This basically seems to give them carte blanche to choose the rate over a 2 day period that favors them the most. It would be interesting to know what a euro-denominated Amex card used as the conversion rate for a USD purchase on 8/12.

The lesson seems to be, when using Amex after a large currency move in your favor, try to wait 2 days after if possible.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 9:45 pm

The US HHonors Amex card has also started charging the same 2.7% 'foreign transaction fee'.

The rate used was 1.319$/1€, on 8/10.

I fully share travelinfoo's position on this new practice
Old Aug 15, 2010, 9:39 pm
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
Amex's terms in Australia are that if a foreign currency charge is made, it is converted to USD first and then to AUD. This amounts to a considerably greater fee than mentioned below. Count yourselves lucky!
Old Aug 15, 2010, 9:46 pm

For Canada Amex first converts foreign transactions to USD and then to CAD-- this leads to a much higher exchange fee. For myself I use AMEX in US and Canada and VISA elsewhere for the larger purchases.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.