Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

PROMO: Move SPG points to AA: 25-35% bonus thru June 30

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PROMO: Move SPG points to AA: 25-35% bonus thru June 30

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2010, 7:46 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by sc flier
I also do not understand why they would want to exclude miles transferred as such a "package." It doesn't add to their cost.

Thanks for the reply! ^
Well, in fairness to AA, they may be footing part of the bill for other programs' combined travel awards. With SPG, however, we discount the hotel award and pay for that on our end. Since Nights & Flights is essentially a two-award process...one for the hotel and one for the airline...the airline gets what will look like them to be an airline-only award. There is nothing to identify it as part of a Nights & Flights award.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jun 17, 2010, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Well, in fairness to AA, they may be footing part of the bill for other programs' combined travel awards. With SPG, however, we discount the hotel award and pay for that on our end...[/email]
Perhaps SPG is missing out on an opportunity to have AA foot part of the bill if they're doing it for other hotel partners' packages.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 7:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
My co-worker did a big travel package transfer from another hotel program
while the miles posted fairly quick, there were not any bonus miles attached
yes it was done within the promo period
Old Jun 17, 2010, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
My co-worker did a big travel package transfer from another hotel program
while the miles posted fairly quick, there were not any bonus miles attached
yes it was done within the promo period
Which program? (I did PC but am still waiting for it to post.)
Old Jun 18, 2010, 2:11 am

Programs: UA G
I am bummed I only started accumulating Starpoints in January Only at 60k and less than 100k lifetime on AA Ah well. Tempted to transfer, but have no real need for AA miles at the moment...
Old Jun 19, 2010, 9:05 am

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by krazieman
There are going to be a lot of people hitting the 1MM/2MM/4MM marks on AA from this.
I am curious about the impact of this program on Starwood. Seems that the balance sheet of accumulated points will be much lighter by June 30th.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 10:31 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by pbjag
I am curious about the impact of this program on Starwood. Seems that the balance sheet of accumulated points will be much lighter by June 30th.
Perhaps for FTers - but I'm less sure of members in general. Remember, we are a small subset here who really pay attention to how to maximize our point value.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 12:53 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by pbjag
Not sure if your curiousity is a concern or you're just curious. Remember that accumulated points on Starwood's balance sheet is a liability.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA gold, SPG Plat,
So which company is paying for this?

If we have SPG points, then SPG "owes" us a reward

If we transfer them to AA, then does SPG pay AA since AA will now be giving us our reward.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by controller1
Not sure if your curiousity is a concern or you're just curious. Remember that accumulated points on Starwood's balance sheet is a liability.
Sure, points are a liability, but the cost to the balance sheet of their use differs for different activities, and I doubt that transfer to AA miles is one of the less-expensive options. I'd guess that many uses of points for hotel rooms would cost Starwood significantly less, if only because they can book the costs less the profit, or alternatively show the profit.

Further, SPG points expire, and once they get transferred, the possibility of breakage is gone.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 12:59 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by josephstern
Sure, points are a liability, but the cost to the balance sheet of their use differs for different activities, and I doubt that transfer to AA miles is one of the less-expensive options. I'd guess that many uses of points for hotel rooms would cost Starwood significantly less, if only because they can book the costs less the profit, or alternatively show the profit.

Further, SPG points expire, and once they get transferred, the possibility of breakage is gone.
However, the expected "costs" of redemption has already run through the income statement so the impact of any true-up should be minimal.

Last edited by controller1; Jun 19, 2010 at 1:39 pm Reason: correct spelling
Old Jun 19, 2010, 1:37 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Perhaps for FTers - but I'm less sure of members in general. Remember, we are a small subset here who really pay attention to how to maximize our point value.
...thankfully....
Old Jun 19, 2010, 1:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Remember, we are a small subset here who really pay attention to how to maximize our point value.
I like to call us a nanocosm - 1/1000th of a microcosm.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I always assumed that the more miles/points you had, the more likely you were to find FlyerTalk. But maybe the big travelers don't have time for this.

I would have guessed that something like 90% of the top 1% of account holders in each area are here. Am I way off?
Old Jun 19, 2010, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by josephstern
I would have guessed that something like 90% of the top 1% of account holders in each area are here. Am I way off?
Way, way off, IMHO. Delta claimed 72 million SkyMiles accounts after integrating NW's program, and 32K Diamond members. One doesn't see 29K Diamonds posting on the Delta FT forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.