Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

PROMO: Move SPG points to AA: 25-35% bonus thru June 30

PROMO: Move SPG points to AA: 25-35% bonus thru June 30

 
Old Jun 14, 10, 10:31 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Posts: 31
Lightbulb PROMO: Move SPG points to AA: 25-35% bonus thru June 30

Not sure if this should be posted in AA forum or here but I wanted to get your input.

Received an e-mail from AA this morning as follows... link provided:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/pa...n.jsp?from=Nav

Convert Your Hotel Points Into AAdvantage® miles
and Earn Up To 35% Bonus Miles Towards Your Next Trip
Now through June 30, 2010 you have a unique opportunity to convert your
hotel points into American Airlines AAdvantage® miles and earn a bonus on
the amount of AAdvantage miles you receive from the conversion.
Earn a bonus of:

When you convert hotel points to:
25% 1,000 - 20,000 AAdvantage miles
35% More than 20,000 AAdvantage miles

For example, convert your points into 20,000 AAdvantage miles and earn
5,000 bonus miles from American Airlines to have enough for a round-trip
flight award. Convert your points into 40,000 AAdvantage miles and you'll
earn 14,000 bonus miles from American Airlines.
Thinking this through, AA & SPG have a cap of 79,999 miles per transfer in place:

With American Airlines, you can transfer up to 79,999 of your Starpoints® into AAdvantage® Miles at a 1-to-1 ratio. And for every 20,000 Starpoints transferred within the same transaction you'll earn 5,000 bonus Starpoints, which will be automatically added to your transfer up to a maximum of 94,999 miles per eligible transfer.
Am I missing something here? Is this the biggest no-brainer in terms of transferring SPG points into an AA account?

Doesn't it make sense to only transfer 60,000 at a time, so that you don't give up the extra potential 5,000 points?

Suppose we transfer 60,000 SPG points into AA miles, would it look like this?

60000 SPG --> SPG adds 15000 bonus miles --> 75000 miles to AA --> AA adds 35% or 26,250 bonus miles --> 101,250 AA miles (or 1.6875 AA miles per SPG point).
roadwarriorintraining is offline  
Old Jun 14, 10, 10:36 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: NYC
Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Posts: 2,562
Yes, you don't want to transfer more than 60k per day. While not as good a deal as the 50% bonus going on currently at US, it's the best offer I've seen from AA in recent years. It's also a great way for those of us looking to top off our AAdvantage accounts to hit 1MM or 2MM miles.
broadwayblue is offline  
Old Jun 14, 10, 10:44 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Posts: 9,096
Don't forget the option to book a Nights & Flights award for 60K - 70K Starpoints if you'd like a discount price on a refundable 5th Night Free award.

40K of the Starpoints would become 67.5K American miles.
20K - 30K of the points would be come a 5-night Cat3 or Cat4 award.

This saves 8K - 10K points compared to the usual 5th Night Free award prices of 28K - 40K.

Edited to add: T&Cs of the AA offer might prohibit AA bonus miles if transferred as part of N&F air/hotel award. YMMV.

Last edited by sc flier; Jun 15, 10 at 4:41 pm
sc flier is offline  
Old Jun 14, 10, 10:48 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Port Washington, NY
Programs: SPG Platinum, Priority Club Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 41
Nights and Flights?

Would this 33% bonus work with nights and flights SPG deal.
70K starpoints goes to 5 nights at cat 4 hotel plus 50k Miles normally (would you get extra 33% in miles?). What 50% bonus per reply above is going on?
crazywudsl is offline  
Old Jun 14, 10, 10:51 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: NYC
Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Posts: 2,562
Originally Posted by crazywudsl View Post
Would this 33% bonus work with nights and flights SPG deal.
70K starpoints goes to 5 nights at cat 4 hotel plus 50k Miles normally (would you get extra 33% in miles?). What 50% bonus per reply above is going on?
US 50% Promotion

And yes, you get the bonus miles on a N&F transfer.
broadwayblue is offline  
Old Jun 14, 10, 11:02 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: NYC, USA
Programs: AA PLT, 3MM, DL Gold, Hertz PC, SPG Gold
Posts: 587
Originally Posted by sc flier View Post
Don't forget the option to book a Nights & Flights award for 60K - 70K Starpoints if you'd like a discount price on a refundable 5th Night Free award.

40K of the Starpoints would become 67.5K American miles.
20K - 30K of the points would be come a 5-night Cat3 or Cat4 award.

This saves 8K - 10K points compared to the usual 5th Night Free award prices of 28K - 40K.
I believe 40k SPG becomes 64k AA....I don't think the 35% applies to the 5k SPG bonus miles.

I hope I am wrong about this
yojimbo is offline  
Old Jun 14, 10, 11:06 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: NYC
Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Posts: 2,562
Originally Posted by yojimbo View Post
I believe 40k SPG becomes 64k AA....I don't think the 35% applies to the 5k SPG bonus miles.

I hope I am wrong about this
Fortunately you are wrong about this. AA only sees the final transfer from SPG AFTER SPG adds the 25% bonus. I've done this many times and it's always been the case. When you transfer say 40k points, AA transfers 50k to AA. That's what AA or US or anyone else bases any bonuses on, because that's all they see.
broadwayblue is offline  
Old Jun 14, 10, 11:12 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: NYC, USA
Programs: AA PLT, 3MM, DL Gold, Hertz PC, SPG Gold
Posts: 587
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Fortunately you are wrong about this. AA only sees the final transfer from SPG AFTER SPG adds the 25% bonus. I've done this many times and it's always been the case. When you transfer say 40k points, AA transfers 50k to AA. That's what AA or US or anyone else bases any bonuses on, because that's all they see.
OK Broadway...your explanation makes perfect sense. Thanks for the clarification.
yojimbo is offline  
Old Jun 14, 10, 11:15 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: NYC, USA
Programs: AA PLT, 3MM, DL Gold, Hertz PC, SPG Gold
Posts: 587
Seems like transferring either 40K or 60K SPG points is the most efficient way of taking advantage of this promo.

Is this correct?
yojimbo is offline  
Old Jun 14, 10, 11:18 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: NYC
Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Posts: 2,562
Originally Posted by yojimbo View Post
Seems like transferring either 40K or 60K SPG points is the most efficient way of taking advantage of this promo.

Is this correct?
Yup. And you can repeat every 24 hours if you so desire.

Also, you can save 8 to 10k SPG if you take advantage of the nights and flights award as mentioned by sc flier above.
broadwayblue is offline  
Old Jun 14, 10, 11:27 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Posts: 1,676
If my math is right, I paid $500 for 35000 starpoints through Discover America Getaway, or 1.43 cents per point. I've got enough other starpoints to round up to 40k, so for the purchased points I get 35000*1.25=43750 American miles, or 1.14 cents per mile. With the 35% bonus, I end up with 59062 American miles, or 0.85 cents per mile. Sweet!
rob_flies_ua is offline  
Old Jun 14, 10, 11:40 am
  #12  
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels & Radisson Hotel Group
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5,507
So how does AA know that we "convert" points? Wouldn't the posting of the Free Weekend/Sheraton 1000 miles look like a conversion and attract the bonus?
jpdx is offline  
Old Jun 14, 10, 11:47 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: May 1998
Posts: 3,038
Nights and Flights excluded?

From the Terms and Conditions:

Conversions for hotel and air packages from eligible AAdvantage hotel participants are excluded from this offer.
dhacker is online now  
Old Jun 14, 10, 11:50 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: DFW (frmrly-AUS-Austin, TX)
Programs: AA(2MM)-Plt, HH-Gld, HY-Glb, ICAmb-Plt, SPG-Plt (Life), AMEX-Plt
Posts: 800
Originally Posted by jpdx View Post
So how does AA know that we "convert" points? Wouldn't the posting of the Free Weekend/Sheraton 1000 miles look like a conversion and attract the bonus?
I don't think the Free Weekend/Sheraton 1000 miles will post until way after this promotion ends on 6/30. The Free Weekend/Sheraton 1000 miles promo goes until 7/31 and T&C's state: "Bonus miles will post to your AAdvantage® account 4–6 weeks after the promotion has ended."
tmartazu is offline  
Old Jun 14, 10, 12:11 pm
  #15  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 9,017
I can confirm that you do receive a 35% bonus of the miles that show up in your AA account...ie, 8750 bonus for a 25k mile (20k spg pt) transfer.
izzik is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: