Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

why does the quality vary so greatly at Westin hotels depending on the city?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2010, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Old May 21, 2010, 2:08 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat.
Originally Posted by caviarwire
Heck, it can vary significantly *within* a city itself. It's likely an ownership & management issue. What priority is placed on renovations? What kind of customer service training exists? What is staff turnover like? What part of the city is the hotel in (and therefore does it attract tourists, business travelers, or others?) and many, many other variables.
Old May 21, 2010, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA 2 MM Plt, *wood Plt
Which properties bring this up?
Old May 21, 2010, 6:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Question

Originally Posted by WestLA-FF
Which properties bring this up?

And why is this limited to the Westin brand? This can happen at any brand, city, program.

Ive been in a city where the propert was built as a Westin and another property was converted. Examples DC and ATL. The westin City Center is dated compared to the Westin Grand. In ATL the Westin PC is a dump compared to the Westin Buckhead.

Properties vary due to date of build, management, working capital, etc.

Last edited by KENNECTED; May 21, 2010 at 10:24 pm
Old May 21, 2010, 10:16 pm

Programs: Promus Preferred, ITT Sheraton Club
There is only one way to determine if the Westin you are considering is going to be awful: is the word "Casuarina" in the full name of the hotel?

If that's a yes, then you are guaranteed junk. Worst. Spg. Hotel. Ever.
Old May 21, 2010, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
It even differs more if it comes to different regions. Some Westins in Europe and Asia are real luxury hotels whereas most Westins in the US are - well - nice hotels.
Old May 22, 2010, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by Minneapolis
There is only one way to determine if the Westin you are considering is going to be awful: is the word "Casuarina" in the full name of the hotel?

If that's a yes, then you are guaranteed junk. Worst. Spg. Hotel. Ever.
The two “Casuarina” Westins (Las Vegas and Grand Cayman) are operated by Columbia Sussex, Starwood's worst licensee.

But you should be aware that they also operate a few other SPG properties:
  • Sheraton Baltimore City Center
  • Sheraton EWR
  • Sheraton Philadelphia City Center
  • Westin Casuarina Las Vegas
  • Westin Chicago Northwest
  • Westin New Orleans
  • Westin San Diego
  • Westin Tampa Harbour Island
  • Westin Washington DC
  • Westin Bristol Place, Toronto
  • Westin St. Maarten
  • Westin Casuarina Grand Cayman

Beware!
If you must stay at one of these hotels, bring a printout of your reservation!
Check your credit card statement!

(Even that might not be enough; once, when a conference operator went bankrupt, the Westin Las Vegas tried to add the cost of the conference to the bill of every overnight guest who had bought a conference ticket.)
Old May 22, 2010, 1:38 am

Programs: All of them.... mostly United and Starwood
Originally Posted by Moriens
(Even that might not be enough; once, when a conference operator went bankrupt, the Westin Las Vegas tried to add the cost of the conference to the bill of every overnight guest who had bought a conference ticket.)
You're kidding me?? How on earth can they do that???

And I'm so bummed, because I just booked a week at the Westin mentioned in Las Vegas. Don't think I have a choice when it comes to *wood properties. I may just leave if it's terrible and go somewhere else.
Old May 22, 2010, 1:46 am
Suspended

Why do people continually ask questions without any form of context so that if they were really seeking an answer they would provide information as to just what properties and cities they are referring to with respect to their query?????????????
Old May 22, 2010, 4:13 am

Programs: SPG Gold, SQ Blue, OZ Diamond, JAVA and occasionally C
So you signed up recently just to post inane threads like this? As everyone has pointed out properties vary depending on owner, capital and location. There is no way to standardise all properties irrespective of brands.
Old May 22, 2010, 4:47 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite

And why is this limited to the Westin brand? This can happen at any brand, city, program.

Ive been in a city where the propert was built as a Westin and another property was converted. Examples DC and ATL. The westin City Center is dated compared to the Westin Grand. In ATL the Westin PC is a dump compared to the Westin Buckhead.

Properties vary due to date of build, management, working capital, etc.
Actually, I find Westins to be among the more consistent ones. The biggest "offender" IMHO is the Sheraton brand which could be anything from a $69 airport disaster to a $900 a night over water bungalow.
Old May 22, 2010, 5:47 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
The two “Casuarina” Westins (Las Vegas and Grand Cayman) are operated by Columbia Sussex, Starwood's worst licensee.

• Sheraton EWR
  • Westin New Orleans
  • Westin San Diego
  • Westin Washington DC
  • Westin St. Maarten

Beware!

Wow...pretty broad brush, and pretty serious anger. Oh, and 12 properties is more than a "few".

I've stayed at several of those properties without a single issue. And I'm not the easiest customer. Even the LV Westin Casuarina has been problem free in the past.

Aloha
Old May 22, 2010, 6:47 am

• Sheraton EWR
  • Westin New Orleans
  • Westin San Diego
  • Westin Washington DC
  • Westin St. Maarten

Beware!

Interesting. I did not know the ownership relationship for these properties.

I have to say several of those on this list with which I have stayed have consistently been disappointments though.

Cheers,
Old May 22, 2010, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by kitsura
So you signed up recently just to post inane threads like this? As everyone has pointed out properties vary depending on owner, capital and location. There is no way to standardise all properties irrespective of brands.
No. Not "everyone". I have no issue with the question. In fact, I have often wondered the exact same thing about property inconsistencies myself.

I have more of an issue with personal attacks on FT (inane?) that contribute absolutely nothing to the substance of the discussion.

Cheers,
Old May 22, 2010, 7:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
It even differs more if it comes to different regions. Some Westins in Europe and Asia are real luxury hotels whereas most Westins in the US are - well - nice hotels.
Agreed

• Sheraton EWR
  • Westin New Orleans
  • Westin San Diego
  • Westin Washington DC
  • Westin St. Maarten

Beware!

I would like to add that you created a list, There is no property by that name in DC. I only mention this to help someone who may be researching properties based on that list. Do you mean "Westin Washington, D.C. City Center"? A property where earlier this year I had a nice stay.

Originally Posted by kitsura
Now, now kitsura. Play nice in the sandbox

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Actually, I find Westins to be among the more consistent ones. The biggest "offender" IMHO is the Sheraton brand which could be anything from a $69 airport disaster to a $900 a night over water bungalow.
That is why I rarely stay at Sheraton's!

Originally Posted by clublounger
Wow...pretty broad brush, and pretty serious anger. Oh, and 12 properties is more than a "few".

I've stayed at several of those properties without a single issue. And I'm not the easiest customer. Even the LV Westin Casuarina has been problem free in the past.

Aloha

Originally Posted by Flews
Interesting. I did not know the ownership relationship for these properties.

I have to say several of those on this list with which I have stayed have consistently been disappointments though.

Cheers,
Agree with you both. Each persons expectations and experiences vary greatly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.