Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Top 5 Plat Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:19 pm

1. Laguna Resort and Spa, Bali
2. Sheraton Hong Kong & Towers
3. W Hotel Lakeshore , Chicago (Hello Heather & Jolene)
4. Sheraton On The Park, Sydney
5. W Hotel - Times Square , NYC

Honorable mention : Westin Grand , Munich
Fall from grace : St Regis Singapore

Last edited by aussiechris; Jan 26, 2010 at 12:03 am Reason: spelling
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:19 am

Programs: Starwood and NWA Plat
1. Westin Key West - 2br suite, ocean and Mallory Square View
2. St Regis Houston - my own butler.. anything else need to be said?
3. Sheraton Key West - beach view rooms and free breakfast every time
4. LeMeridian Singapore - great room and GREAT breakfast!
Old Jan 26, 2010, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
1. Blue Palace Resort - Crete, Greece
2. Hotel Alfonso XIII - Seville, Spain
3. Villa Vedema - Santorini, Greece
4. W - Union Square - New York, NY
5. Le Meridien Barcelona - Barcelona, Spain
Old Jan 26, 2010, 5:13 pm

Programs: Bonvoy - LIFETIME!!! Titanium ; AA - Platinum 2 Million Miler;
1) Grand Hotel in Florence, Italy (Honeymoon and amazing upgrade)
2a) Sheraton Pulitzer Amsterdam (Huge, amazing suite)
2b) Sheraton Pulitzer Amsterdam (Bi-level suite)
3) Sheraton Park Tower (Butler floor)
4) Westin Maui (Huge suite with a balcony wrapping around the room and around the corner
5) Westin Diplomat
Old Jan 26, 2010, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA (850k miles), SPG Platinum
1) Westin Palace - Madrid, Spain
2) Le Meridien - Barcelona, Spain
3) St. Regis - Dana Point, CA
4) Disney Swan - Orlando, FL
5) Sheraton - Lisboa, Portugal
Old Jan 26, 2010, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by missydarlin
+2
-1 on the Diplomat. Did not receive upgrade as a Plat which did not match my expectations given what has been said here so often.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 8:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hyatt DIA, *W/IC Plat, HH Gold, A3 *G, Sixt Plat
Great thread idea - Top 5 Plat experiences do differ from Top 5 hotels that I've stayed in, even Top 5 Starwood hotels. An 'average' SPG property could offer such superb treatment for Plat guests that vaults it from an average memory to the highlight of a trip. Here are mine:

1) Westin Sydney. Stayed here over New Years, so this property is fresh in my mind, used a 5th night free award and spent only 40k SPG pts, IIRC. The Executive lounge on the 28th floor can get a bit crowded around breakfast or lunch, and upgrades are difficult to come by, but once the lounge staff know your name, they remember you and are a fun bunch. The concierge team is the best I have experienced in the Starwood system, St Regis' included.

2) Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit (SGS). Received a Grand Suite even with high hotel occupancy w/ a golf tourney in town, comped anniversary cake, free 5 pressings/laundry, really outstanding lush pool in the heart of downtown Sukhumvit, and great access to the BTS. Once the full link is up to the airport I will stay here every time I'm in BKK and using SPG pts. Oh, and the full morning breakfast will make your head spin - any kind of fruit you can imagine, cook-to-order omelets, Asian-style breakfasts, coffee/tea, pastries.

3) Sheraton (now Hilton) Tahiti (PPT). This hotel was always just a 'way station' as we winged our way through the South Pacific, and with the vast majority of our flights (Air NZ, LAN) arriving at odd hours, it was great to land, take a cab 2.5 km, and have everything in order: room, suite upgrade 100% of the time, honeymoon/anniversary/birthday cake, champagne, breakfast on the veranda the next morning, and back to the airport to catch a VT flight to MOZ, BOB, or RGI.

4) St Regis Bora Bora (SRBB). Stayed here for only 1 night on the last night of our honeymoon. Hotel was less than a year old at the time, and occupancy was about 30%. We received a large 2BR Overwater Bungalow (OWB), and the manager threw in a free ala carte breakfast, a $100+ USD value. Nicole Kidman had stayed at the hotel a few months before us, so the hotel still had a bit of 'buzz' to it. We really enjoyed diving off our private landing dock in the morning to wake up, shower, then the long walk into the main breakfast area.

5) St Regis Singapore. I have seen the conflicting reports on FT and Trip Advisor re: this hotel, but we had nothing but a great experience here. We received a 2 category suite upgrade, comp breakfast in the main dining room, comp wine tasting in the evening, and loved the 'walkableness' of the hotel's location.

Runner-ups:

6) Sheraton Vina del Mar, Chile.
7) Sheraton on the Park (SOTP), Sydney.
8) Four Points Bolzano, Italy.
9) Westin Dulles.
10) Hotel Danieli, Venice.

Would love to try the Diplomat, Villa Vedema, Blue Palace, W Barcelona, and Marquis de Riscal.

Last edited by SASfan; Jan 27, 2010 at 9:00 am
Old Jan 27, 2010, 12:14 pm

Programs: DL Silver, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis Preferred
W Seattle--4 nights and 3 comp bottles of champagne, wow suite upgrade and 2 copies of the W CD

Sheraton Vina del Mar - Presidential suite was awesome--wish we could've spent a week there

SR Singapore - Exec suite upgrade with bottle of Malbec, comped in-room internet, wine tasting--probably one of the best rooms I've been in

SGS Bangkok - everything SASfan said. The pool (area) was unreal.

Tie:
Sheraton Porto - jr suite, club flounge floor with only one other couple on that floor, HUGE balconies, food and drinks all day in lounge, great spa!

Westin Sydney - the concierge staff was great! We felt like part of the family every time we were in the lounge.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA 2 MM Plt, *wood Plt
Originally Posted by FlyMeHomeAA
1) Grand Hotel in Florence, Italy (Honeymoon and amazing upgrade)
2a) Sheraton Pulitzer Amsterdam (Huge, amazing suite)
2b) Sheraton Pulitzer Amsterdam (Bi-level suite)
3) Sheraton Park Tower (Butler floor)
4) Westin Maui (Huge suite with a balcony wrapping around the room and around the corner
5) Westin Diplomat
+1 on 2, 4 and 5. (Our paths seem to take us to a lot of the same places.)
(Our fav was the XX88 room in Maui. Amazing sunset experiences from that viewpoint)

I'll add:
St. Regis Dana Point. (Upgraded to fab 1 bd suite (BRG of over $900), from FWN booking)
Sheraton NY towers. (An odd entry for a top 5 list, but we are there so often, and they usually treat us so well when we are. Or used to, before they got rid of Maritza, who worked the lounge on 44)
6. Westin Mission Hills resort. Almost always receive a suite, or an upgrade when at the Villas.

Last edited by WestLA-FF; Jan 27, 2010 at 5:32 pm
Old Jan 27, 2010, 1:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, MR LTP, others from cards
Westin Diplomat
Sheraton Grande Lagune, Phuket
Westin Dresden
LM Pyramids (pyramids view suite, lounge, kept the restaurant open for us)
Hacienda San Jose (Presidential Suite, private pool, massage as Plat ammenity)

I'm seeing a lot of votes for the SR Singapore, but was unimpressed by the Plat treatment on a recent trip. Regular room on a high floor. No free Internet or wine bottle in the room. Wine tasting was nice (though I think open to all), and the breakfast was free and nicely presented -- however the quality of the actual food items was mediocre for Asia. I'd vote for the Grand Hyatt over the SR.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 3:15 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
I've had some decent upgrades, but Thailand blows everything else out of the water.

Le Meridien Khao Lak-suite upgrade, cold coconuts, nightly canapes, breakfast at choice of two restaurants

Sheraton Grande Phuket-2 level villa upgrade, morning croissants, evening cocktails and appetizers, breakfast at choice of two restaurants

I'm a big fan of the haciendas in the Yucatan, but our Gold treatment at Campeche and Santa Rosa was actually better than Plat treatment at San Jose so I'm not including them on my list. I think they're great destinations regardless of status.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 3:03 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
SGS Bangkok
Westin Taipei
Westin Shanghai ( although they just eliminated hot food at breakfast in the lounge)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.