Wiki Posts
Search

Top 5 Plat Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2010, 4:39 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Top 5 Plat Experiences

This is looking like my last year of plat status. Shifting family priorities and work priorities will leave me with mainly just traveling for leisure. I've got a trip coming up to London, Paris, and Venice in March.. and then another trip in October. I am just looking for ideas of what some consider some of the best plat experiences; so that maybe I can incorporate them into my traveling patterns. I'm thinking maybe SE Asia, but am open to anywhere really. Even US experiences could be built into a long weekend; if it's worth it (plus the destination needs to be worthwhile..)

Thanks!
FDW
Old Jan 23, 2010, 4:54 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Silver, HH SILVER, Bonvoy PLAT, A/club PLAT, Hyatt Diamond
1/ St Regis Singapore
2/ Meridien Shanghai
3/ W Hong-Kong

You will enjoy
Old Jan 23, 2010, 5:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
1) Le Meridien Khao Lak
2) W Hong Kong (Kowloon)
3) Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit
4) Westin Kuala Lumpur
5) Sheraton Hua Hin
Old Jan 23, 2010, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Are SPGs in Asia really *that* impressive?

I've stayed in KL, Singapore, Korea, China, Bali and with the possible exception of the St. Regis in Beijing, I was not all that "blown" away by any of the properties. Granted, I tend to stay at mid-range SPGs, and I haven't been a plat in a while, but I would think that there are properties elsewhere that should appear on these lists...
Old Jan 23, 2010, 5:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
We really enjoyed our stay at the St. Regis Singapore last week (fantastic free breakfast for elites, and don't miss the daily wine tasting). Other than that, our best experience was actually as SPG Gold - a Presidential Suite upgrade at Le Méridien Cambridge.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 1:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by notsosmart
Are SPGs in Asia really *that* impressive?
Yes, I believe they are.

Just compare the Sheratons in Thailand with those in North America
Old Jan 24, 2010, 2:18 am

Programs: AA Plat for Life, Starwood Platinum, HH Gold
Westin Bali; Platinums get access to the Royal Beach Club, with complimentary breakfast, lunch and evening snacks. Liquor and beer is complimentary all day to 7pm

Last edited by VanMan; Jan 24, 2010 at 2:19 am Reason: sp
Old Jan 24, 2010, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Just to give it a change and refrain from stopover and beach locations into serious European hotels. All of these five gave me a presidential (or similar) suite:

- Le Meridien Nürnberg
- Westin Dresden
- Danieli Venice
- Bristol Vienna
- Le Meridien Warsaw.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mario33
Yes, I believe they are.

Just compare the Sheratons in Thailand with those in North America
Well, compare every hotel in SE Asia with their price wise counterparts in North America or (even worse) Europe. It is easy to provide great service in countries where wages in hotel industry are a fraction (even) of North American standards, not to talk about Europe.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 5:08 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Well, compare every hotel in SE Asia with their price wise counterparts in North America or (even worse) Europe. It is easy to provide great service in countries where wages in hotel industry are a fraction (even) of North American standards, not to talk about Europe.
I will sit on the other side of the fence and disagree purely because I believe in the notion that the more I pay, the more I expect.

If I am paying 3 times the price to stay at a similar hotel in North America over than that of in SE Asia, why aren't I receiving 3 times the benefit? If I am paying more in wages for a NA or EUR worker, why aren't those workers working HARDER and BETTER than those in SE Asia? (For this point I am just focusing on the cost of wages aspect).
Old Jan 24, 2010, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alanslegal
I will sit on the other side of the fence and disagree purely because I believe in the notion that the more I pay, the more I expect.

If I am paying 3 times the price to stay at a similar hotel in North America over than that of in SE Asia, why aren't I receiving 3 times the benefit? If I am paying more in wages for a NA or EUR worker, why aren't those workers working HARDER and BETTER than those in SE Asia? (For this point I am just focusing on the cost of wages aspect).
If you were correct you would believe that there is one global harmonized economy.

But it isn't.

American automakers built their factories in Detroit to have parts manufactured in cheaper Canada. This does not work too well nowadays, now they moved plenty of it to Mtexico. My (global) law firm has shifted typing and accounting services to economies with cheaper labour than the US, US tourists go to Mexico not because they fancy Spanish so much but because you get more for the buck.

The workers in the US do not work three times harder than the workers in Thailand, because the workers in Thailand might get 10 percent of the US wages, but their (local) cost of living is a fraction of the cost of living in the US. A snack on the road in Bangkok costs me two THB, close to nothing in my world. For a Thai worker this is money.

Going on vacation to different countries is more or less nothing but hedging foreign currencies. I can remember the days Europe was full of US tourists, because the Dollar was in the range of 1,50 Euro to the Dollar. Today is is 1.50 Dollar to the Euro and you see hords of Europeans shopping in NYC. However, the relevant local markets have not changed and the costs of living in these relevant local markets are still the same, notwithstanding the exchange rate or the external value of a currency.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 7:53 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood Plt, Hilton Gold (got it free) AC Elite, Fairmont Plt, Priority Club Plt
St Regis, Rome - Room & Service
Westin Rome - Room
Grand Hotel, Florence- Room & Service
Westin Grand, Vancouver -Room & Service (regular at hotel as revenue guest, so I thnk this made a difference to the room I got when with my wife)

Last edited by dmgt; Jan 24, 2010 at 7:59 am
Old Jan 24, 2010, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Totally mundane but don't forget Westin Diplomat, best chance of any hotel for plat upgrade to suite and the club lounge is a wonderful space (both indoor and outdoor, views of both ocean and intracoastal) and they do a wonderful job with breakfast.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 8:16 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ *G, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite LFT Titanium , Hyatt Discoverist, ALL Diamond
St Regis Bali
St Regis Singapore
Gritti Palace
Danieli
Mystique
Old Jan 24, 2010, 8:24 am
Original Poster
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

thanks guys!
St Regis, Rome - Room & Service
Westin Rome - Room
Grand Hotel, Florence- Room & Service
Westin Grand, Vancouver -Room & Service (regular at hotel as revenue guest, so I thnk this made a difference to the room I got when with my wife)
Stayed at the Westin Rome a number years ago as a Gold, still got a nice upgraded room (not a suite). Our room at the Grand Hotel was excellent I must say!

St Regis Bali
St Regis Singapore
Gritti Palace
Danieli
Mystique
Is the Gritti or Danieli worth it? i have a points stay at the E&R coming up; wasn't so keen on dropping 30K/night at Gritti; but could be talked into dropping 20K /night at DAnieli.. if it's worth it...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.