Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best and Worst Sheratons

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2010, 8:20 am

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Speedy Rewards Beverage Club
BEST: Sheraton Krabi Beach Resort--Infinity pools, elephants that live on site, nice dining, incredible staff, recently renovated, manicured grounds. Almost heaven. And at about $45 a night (cash + points), you can't beat it.

WORST: Sheraton Lansing (OK, it's not a Sheraton anymore, but what a crusty old butthole of a hotel with disinterested staff and decor which would have looked dated twenty years ago. Gobs of potential though; hopefully Lexington has sunk some money into the joint since I was there the summer before last).
Old Jul 12, 2010, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
the worst sheraton i have ever come across is the sheraton media hotel & towers, jakarta....the staff are clueless about the spg policies & are just downright lazy & confused....

have posted a trip report in the property master thread....
Old Jul 12, 2010, 6:20 am

I would put the Sheraton on the Park in Sydney, AUS at the top of the list for great Sheratons.

Charactor, location, service (usually), upgrades, pool, value and - more than anything else - one of the best all around lounges in the network!

This property pretty well has all the attributes I value.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K and SPG Platinum
worst: Parsippany, NJ (old and depressing)

best: Edison, NJ (new and clean)
Old Jul 12, 2010, 8:50 pm

Programs: Starwood Lifetime Platinum; Hilton HHonors Gold; United Premier Gold
Bottom of the barrel for me was the Sheraton Newton near Boston, built directly OVER Interstate 90. Highway noise levels that were literally deafening, exhaust fumes that leaked into the rooms, air conditioning units that roared, and toilet seats that would not stay in the up position for men's use.

Fortunately, it departed Starwood last year, but it made the Sheraton Springfield (MA) and Sheraton East Hartford look like the Four Seasons Hotel/Boston by comparison.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by signothetimes53
Bottom of the barrel for me was the Sheraton Newton near Boston, built directly OVER Interstate 90. Highway noise levels that were literally deafening, exhaust fumes that leaked into the rooms, air conditioning units that roared, and toilet seats that would not stay in the up position for men's use.

Fortunately, it departed Starwood last year, but it made the Sheraton Springfield (MA) and Sheraton East Hartford look like the Four Seasons Hotel/Boston by comparison.
While the Newton was certainly "special" for all kinds of reasons - including the fact our kids were conceived there - I never had any issues with highway noise, exhaust fumes or any of the other stuff.

No frills, tired, straddling a freeway - yes. But for us the Newton will always have good memories.

Cheers,
Old Jul 13, 2010, 11:08 am

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Exec Premier, SPG Platinum, AmEx Platinum
I have found that Sheratons in Europe (and of course the Sheraton on the Park in Sydney as mentioned) to be much nicer overall than the Sheraton brand in the US.

I avoid Sheratons in the US.

I actually live on Maui and had to use my earned free weekend stays last year by the end of the year so I used them at the Sheraton Ka'anapali and Westin Ka'anapali. They both gave me nice upgrades as a Gold.

I also stayed a night before a flight on my way around the world at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani in Waikiki and thought it sucked. Never again. I will pay the extra to stay at the Moana across the street.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 3:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
The Sheraton Grand Edinburgh is definitely tops in my book.

I don't think I've ever stayed in any truly bad Sheratons.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 7:01 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by Flews
While the Newton was certainly "special" for all kinds of reasons, I never had any issues with highway noise, exhaust fumes or any of the other stuff.
Hey Flews -- congrats on the kids and all, but you were among the precious lucky few who didn't spend sleepless nights here with the incredible roar of traffic underfoot all night long. Yes, I'm a light sleeper, but even with 10mg of Ambien and a blasting white sound machine from Brookstone, I spent more than a few nights here tossing and turning all night long (no joke) while hearing jake brakes, car horns and blaring stereos from the vehicles below. Actually, I found the room noise to be mind-bogglingly unacceptable. The hotel owners did nothing to soundproof the rooms, either. The windows weren't even double glazed.....

This really was one of the poorest all around Sheratons in the domestic system, topped only by the long-departed Sheraton "North Palm Beach" on Singer Island, FL. What a monumental dump that place was!
Old Jul 13, 2010, 7:21 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
I don't know if these properties are truly the best or worst, but in my modest experience, they represent both ends of the spectrum:

Near the top:

Sheraton Carlton Nuremberg: A lovely hotel that is in tip-top condition and it puts its charming, but somewhat threadbare, cross-town SPG cousin LM Grand Hotel to shame. Very nice staff to match a sparkling property. The one downside is the boring and sterile Boymann's bar; go to the very charming LM Atelier Bar instead.

Sheraton Park Anaheim: A resort hotel with no pretension of being anything but that, but does what it should very well. A negative is the $14 per day parking.

Near the bottom:

Sheraton Cairo: A distressed property. Worn-out, run-down, and past its prime. Avoid at all costs.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 7:47 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by flynlow
worst: Parsippany, NJ (old and depressing)
Just left this hotel. I really liked the pond in the back with the jogging trail, but otherwise this hotel does feel rather old and somehow damp.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, UA 1P, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
Best: Sheraton Presidente San Salvador. Great location, lounge, and a great pool.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 5:09 am

Programs: CO Platinum, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz Presidents
Sheraton Long Island! Worst ever!
Old Jul 14, 2010, 5:39 am

Programs: EX-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Best: Sheraton Salzburg
Old Jul 14, 2010, 9:18 pm
kev

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTG, SPG Titanium
Originally Posted by Flews
I would put the Sheraton on the Park in Sydney, AUS at the top of the list for great Sheratons.

Charactor, location, service (usually), upgrades, pool, value and - more than anything else - one of the best all around lounges in the network!

This property pretty well has all the attributes I value.
+1 for SOTP (except for my last stay but benefit of the doubt given the hotel was way oversold and very, very full)

WORST - Sheraton Manhattan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.