Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

NYC Area, Where to Stay with a cost adverse grandmother?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2010, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan E25, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Delta Skymiles Silver, HHonors Gold, Nexus

Before I am I referred to the Master Thread, I need to clarify my searches. I'm going to be using my AGR points to get a train from BOS to NYP (or NWK, if case may be), and take my grandmother along with me for her birthday. She would kill me for spending the $200+ a night for the properties that I would rather stay at, so I'm looking for some good alternatives.

So far I have come across the Four Points Midtown, or Sheraton Lincoln Harbor. The dates will be from March 26th to the 28th. I've come across a rate of $195 for the first night, and $97 for the second night, at the Four Points, using the ZBT rate code. At the Sheraton, I pulled a rate of $126.65 with the AAA discount (was preferring to pay the extra $10 a night to keep the rate from not being pre-paid, in case of bad weather, and the trip being postponed.)

We won't mind staying over in NJ if it will be worth it cost and comfort, as long as it is easy to connect to NYC using rail, within a distance of say, 20 minutes or so.

Any better suggestions?
Old Jan 10, 2010, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
There are plenty of threads on NYC properties. Have you checked any of those?

Example:
Post new EXTRA-LOW rates here for NYC Starwoods
Old Jan 10, 2010, 3:54 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
I don't know how old your grandmother is, but if I was going to bring my grandmother to NYC, I wouldn't make her stay in New Jersey. I'd personally take her to the Parker Meridien and tell her I got the room for free using points. If you are strapped for cash, the Four Points midtown is new and apparently nice.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by pitbrian
I don't know how old your grandmother is, but if I was going to bring my grandmother to NYC, I wouldn't make her stay in New Jersey. I'd personally take her to the Parker Meridien and tell her I got the room for free using points. If you are strapped for cash, the Four Points midtown is new and apparently nice.
^ +1

Consider other factors like cost and time to travel from NJ (not a lot, but if you are only here for a weekends, it adds up. In addition to mobility issues, I always find it useful to go back and drop off stuff or grab a quick nap in the hotel on a long day. My parents used to whinge about the costs of hotel, but when I said the the hotel was on points and they never questioned it!
Old Jan 10, 2010, 4:24 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
i'm with others - book a nice hotel room using Cash & Points or all points. Just let your Grandmother know that some of the "internet folks" taught you how to do it "right!" I definitely would not want to have to go back and forth to New Jersey during the day; seems like that's adding a level of complexity that doesn't need to be there. Also, make sure you check out Senior Rates as your Grandma would qualify for those as well.

I'm all about making memories with my loved ones; much more fun and appreciated than "stuff"; both for you and her! Have a great time!
Old Jan 10, 2010, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan E25, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Delta Skymiles Silver, HHonors Gold, Nexus
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
There are plenty of threads on NYC properties. Have you checked any of those?

Example:
Post new EXTRA-LOW rates here for NYC Starwoods
I have in fact already seen that thread, and there was only one deal in there, which expires at the end of January.

My grandmother will be turning 69, she gets around fine. In fact, she still works a full-time job, merely because of the fact that she refuses to sit around the house all day. (I hope I'm that well off when I'm that age!)

In all reality, I'm looking to keep it cost-effective as possible. $150/night would be a dream, but I'm sure I would get what I would pay for. In addition to what I priced above, I'm also seeing the Four Points Manhattan SoHo Village for $179. Would be willing to go up somewhere around $200 if it's really that worth it.

If we're staying in NYC, then it would be nice to be close to "everything", because she wouldn't want to use the MTA tickets. lol I have to argue with her to let me pay for and get her on the T in Boston. She'd rather walk across the city.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Triley
So far I have come across the Four Points Midtown, or Sheraton Lincoln Harbor. The dates will be from March 26th to the 28th. I've come across a rate of $195 for the first night, and $97 for the second night, at the Four Points, using the ZBT rate code. At the Sheraton, I pulled a rate of $126.65 with the AAA discount (was preferring to pay the extra $10 a night to keep the rate from not being pre-paid, in case of bad weather, and the trip being postponed.)

We won't mind staying over in NJ if it will be worth it cost and comfort, as long as it is easy to connect to NYC using rail, within a distance of say, 20 minutes or so.

Any better suggestions?
Originally Posted by Triley
In addition to what I priced above, I'm also seeing the Four Points Manhattan SoHo Village for $179. Would be willing to go up somewhere around $200 if it's really that worth it.

If we're staying in NYC, then it would be nice to be close to "everything", because she wouldn't want to use the MTA tickets. lol I have to argue with her to let me pay for and get her on the T in Boston. She'd rather walk across the city.
please avoid the sheraton lincoln harbor....if you don't mind staying in jersey then there is the w hoboken....you can easily get to manhattan using the ferry....i had a stay here a few months ago for under $150....both the four points are pretty decent properties....you can also try the sheraton manhattan or sheraton towers....both the sheratons are in a great location but the quality of your stay can range from good to bad depending on the type of room you get....then there is the w on lexington ave....i have managed to get rooms here for around $200 on a number of occasions....a lot of people don't like this hotel but i have always had good stays here....
Old Jan 11, 2010, 8:06 am

skip SPG for once maybe for this deal

$99 Candlewood Suites (2 star limited service) on 39th Street (between 8 & 9 Ave). A new hotel, 5 blocks from Penn Station and rooms have a kitchen.

http://hotels.travelzoo.com/new-york-hotels/723592
Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:32 am

for $201 rate, I would recommend a non-SPG property in Upper West Side called Hotel Beacon. It's on Broadway and 75th St near Lincoln Center with real upper class New York local residential feel.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by money_opp
for $201 rate, I would recommend a non-SPG property in Upper West Side called Hotel Beacon. It's on Broadway and 75th St near Lincoln Center with real upper class New York local residential feel.

I wouldn't. There is a a reason it, along with the Beacon theater are called the "bacon"!
Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:59 am

I wouldn't. There is a a reason it, along with the Beacon theater are called the "bacon"!

SPG hotels rank poorly in Manhattan

In Tripadvisor ranking table
the best is St Regis #51 out of 411,
Four Points SoHo #68
Westin Times Square #91
W Times Square #98
W Union Sq #156
W Tuscany #167
Le Parker Meridien #169
Sheraton New York #205
Four Points Chelsea #219
Four Points Times Sq #223
W The Court #237
W New York #267
Sheraton Manhattan #284
Old Jan 11, 2010, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah

SPG hotels rank poorly in Manhattan

In Tripadvisor ranking table
the best is St Regis #51 out of 411,
Four Points SoHo #68
Westin Times Square #91
W Times Square #98
W Union Sq #156
W Tuscany #167
Le Parker Meridien #169
Sheraton New York #205
Four Points Chelsea #219
Four Points Times Sq #223
W The Court #237
W New York #267
Sheraton Manhattan #284
i really wouldn't go by these rankings....
Old Jan 11, 2010, 12:27 pm
Suspended

Exclamation

Originally Posted by saad
i really wouldn't go by these rankings....
Agreed.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Trip Advisor, appears to me, to be reviews by less frequent travelers and those that are not "up to date" on programs and points as those here on FT.

I dont trust or read TA!
Old Jan 11, 2010, 12:38 pm

Agreed.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Trip Advisor, appears to me, to be reviews by less frequent travelers and those that are not "up to date" on programs and points as those here on FT.
alrightly, I just thought Grandmothers are less frequent travelers and not "up to date" on programs and points, but are on quality and value.. have a Twinkie!
Old Jan 11, 2010, 12:48 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
I used to live right near the Beacon.. it looks like it has been thoroughly renovated (along with the theater), though I've never been in one of the rooms. There always seem to be tour buses out front and my old Starbucks at the corner was always chock full of Beacon Euro tourists For Upper West Side stays, my family used to stay right down Broadway at On The Avenue hotel, which was modern and competitively priced- especially for suites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.