Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Report: Recent Hyatt Stays vs. Starwood Stays

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Report: Recent Hyatt Stays vs. Starwood Stays

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2010, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Originally Posted by geilux
I do think there must be a difference between those staying 25 nights in a St Regis or those spending 25 nights in a 4Points, don't you ?
Yes, but where does it end? Someone will always have bigger spends or more stays than another, and will expect better treatment. Where do you make the cutoff?
Old Jan 5, 2010, 3:07 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Well my arm has been twisted more than once this evening. Hope to report back to this thread by the end of the month
Old Jan 5, 2010, 3:32 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
I do think there must be a difference between those staying 25 nights in a St Regis or those spending 25 nights in a 4Points, don't you ?
Alas though, what about those paying rack rate for a suite at a Four Points in Europe vs. those paying discounted prepaid rates for say, the St. Regis Houston? (only a question of room rates, not a question of quality)

It's been mentioned more than once by the Lurkers that revenue generated is one of the criterion used in ranking incoming elite members for upgrades should the property choose to utilize SPG's suggestions.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 3:45 am
Suspended

Cool

Originally Posted by Totoro
This thread makes me reconsider my options, at least for major metropolitan areas.

Are a greater proportion of Hyatt properties corporate so that Hyatt has more/better control over GP program implementation?

I was of the same opinion like you BUT I came back to reality. Hyatt seems not to be any better than SPG.

When I was a Platinum member with Hyatt I got far better treatment and upgrades than now as a Diamond

In my opinion, you should not give all the money to one chain because they will start to think you book with them whatever they do.

My observation is also that I got with Marriott as a gold member EVERY time a suite upgrade, with SPG I am often being told that "no suites" but when I insist on an upgrade I mostly get one and with Hyatt I must re-think my business...
Old Jan 5, 2010, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by scubadu
Now, not to go off topic, but how does an AA EXP, SPG PLT, and somehow whom I frequently see comparing and contrasting the features and benefits of various international long haul F products over on the OneWorld forum classify themselves as someone who doesn't "travel all that much?"

Regards
You flatter me. It's actually not that hard to do if you are systematic (read maniacal) about it. So, starting with AA 2+MM. In a previous life, I was a CIO for a public company. (I'm a lawyer now.) I negotiated bulk prices with Dell, and the deal required immediate payment. With my employer's permission, I put all of the purchases on my Citibank AAdvantage card. Lots of AA miles, all of which count towards lifetime mile totals, though not for annual elite status.

Consistent EXP? On average, I do three AONEx trips per year, for which I give much credit to FT. I buy them cheaply when I can, early in 2009, for example, ex-ICN during the sale for about USD$5,500. I try to take advantage of each trip, flying MRs pretty much wherever possible. For example, I leave next week on one, which I changed an AONE3 to an AONE4. I added an MR HKG-AKL and back, all in CX F. Between BIS, COS and elite status miles, it's worth a lot, and at a very low cost. I typically requalify each year with two such RTWs.

These trips give me the opportunity to fly different OW carriers in the front cabin on long flights. I've flown AA, BA, CX and QF. I now avoid BA except on AA codeshares because of the loss of elite status bonuses, although my upcoming trip does include a MR LHR-DXB-LHR. I've been trying to catch a flight on JL in the new F, but it's looking unlikely as possible bankruptcy approaches. I avoid carriers like RJ which don't have a real F product.

SPG PLT? Thanks to the double stay/double point credit promo at the end of the year (which I learned about here), this is my first time hitting that level. I believe that I had something like 24 stays going into the promo. Did the rest in inexpensive local properties (aloft and Element) on weekend nights (typically less expensive) at the double stay rate, so I only needed 13 such stays. I had also registered for another promo, so I was getting an extra 1,000 points per stay.

Compared to some of the people I see here, I really don't think that I travel all that much. I see people who travel 100+ nights per year on business. Compared to them, I don't really travel all that much, IMO.

Bottom line is that it's not all that difficult. I read FT a lot, and am both deliberate and planful about my travel, working hard to use what I learn here on FT to maximize my earnings. Thanks to all FTers, for all of the information which has enabled me to travel the way I do.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Jan 5, 2010 at 4:04 am
Old Jan 5, 2010, 4:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
So, 73 posts already and no one has quantified the following:

Number of Hyatt hotels worldwide = ~400+

Number of Starwood hotels worldwide = ~800+

That's a two-to-one ratio!
Such a comparison does not make a lot of sense, as you need to look deeper into how many properties are really available in important markets...if company X has 21 locations in a metro area and company Y 7 , I do not consider a 3 to 1 ratio a big disadvantage...

It goes without saying that many, especially European Hyatt Diamond members, are also enjoying top tier status at at least one, often two more chains.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 6:05 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Silver, HH SILVER, Bonvoy PLAT, A/club PLAT, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by nissan motor
with SPG I am often being told that "no suites" but when I insist on an upgrade I mostly get one
That's one key point with SPG: begging for a Suite
Old Jan 5, 2010, 6:34 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
You'll find both chains have their advantages and disadvantages. Many of the issues people face are with individual properties. E.g. the Westin Sydney and Park Hyatt Sydney have developed a reputation for not upgrading top tier members, whereas the Sheraton on the Park, or Park Hyatt Melbourne upgrade without question. Essentially it comes down to what works for each individual based on what they consider most important, based on their circumstances.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 6:40 am

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Originally Posted by nissan motor
My observation is also that I got with Marriott as a gold member EVERY time a suite upgrade, with SPG I am often being told that "no suites" but when I insist on an upgrade I mostly get one and with Hyatt I must re-think my business...
Methinks your record with Marriott suite upgrades will not last long.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 8:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
I do not recall LM BKK Surawong to be near the Skytrain.

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH

Indeed, I've heard about the location. I selected it because it is a brand new property, looks very trendy and cool (I'm a wanna-be ), and I got it for THB3,000++. For location, all I need is relatively close to the Skytrain.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 8:56 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
That's one key point with SPG: begging for a Suite
Well, the squeaking wheel DOES get the grease and I am not ashamed to ask them to check again and, if necessary, I will also speak to a manager. It works 99% of the time. Those who are too timid or don't ask are helpful to those of us who challenge what they are told when they know it's not true.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 9:08 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
And what about the good old HH card ? As a Diamond with Hilton, I must say I have been more than satisfied (though nothing spectacular).

Can we agree that HH does better than SPG those days ?
No, we certainly cannot! I have been far more satisfied as an SPG Platinum than an HH Diamond in both 2008 and 2009. Overall, SPG has much nicer properties than HH. HH has nothing remotely similar to the cool vibe offered at W Hotels.

I also get a suite upgrade over 95% of the time with SPG and rarely with HH (and, a suite upgrade, subject to availability, is not one of the perks of being an HH Diamond, in any event). So, I will drop to Gold with HH later in 2010 but plan to remain an SPG Plat for a long time.

I do like Hyatt's customer service and free internet as a Platinum, but the properties are mostly pretty uninspiring and are not located in many of the places I travel. And the one Hyatt Regency in Minneapolis is pretty depressing. Nice staff, but still has old tube TVs and tiny bathrooms. I'd rather stay at the Hotel Ivy, W Foshay, or Westin Minneapolis.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 9:19 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Thank you for your informative post, Blissworld!

I think I'll start putting more business to Hyatt - I have around 150 nights a year in a hotel, I'll keep my SPG stays to my favourite SPG ones and the rest will be distributed to Hyatt and IC.

I too have found platinum upgrades at many SPG properties quite unimpressive.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 9:45 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DCBob
Well, the squeaking wheel DOES get the grease and I am not ashamed to ask them to check again and, if necessary, I will also speak to a manager. It works 99% of the time.
Originally Posted by DCBob
I also get a suite upgrade over 95% of the time with SPG and rarely with HH (and, a suite upgrade, subject to availability, is not one of the perks of being an HH Diamond, in any event).
Your percentage went from 99% to over 95% in just 12 minutes, hope it doesn't slip too much more in the next hour!
Old Jan 5, 2010, 9:57 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by HouFlyer
The Hyatt Places are painful to stay in when you are accumulating nights.
No moreso than Aloft or Four Points, and about half the Sheratons I've ever stayed in. And many markets with HP have nothing nicer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.