Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Report: Recent Hyatt Stays vs. Starwood Stays

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Report: Recent Hyatt Stays vs. Starwood Stays

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2010, 2:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by BlissWorld

After several less than mediocre stays with Starwood with apathetic corporate customer service regarding Platinum benefits, I decided to shift my end of year and early 2010 business to Hyatt.
Although already recommended some weeks ago, I still applaud your decision !

The employees at Hyatt seemed to be a lot happier with their jobs. Most of them seemed genuinely happy to take care of Diamond members. I've been more than impressed with Hyatt.
Due to the standing of Hyatt within the industry, the company is able to recruit better personnel than most of the competition, except maybe RC and some smaller, really upscale chains. This is certainly even more apparent at international locations where highly trained employees are working, not necessarily in the US, where poor training and constant career changing are an every day annoyance in the hotel industry. To be honest, though, I fail to see a huge difference between SPG and Hyatt in the US.

Lately, they are apathetic and pretty much allow each hotel to do whatever they want when it comes to benefits, such as conveniently deciding that suites are not cleaned when a Platinum checks in, therefore leaving 5 standard suites unoccupied at the end of business day. I don't really care whatever "operational reason" they have to do so because Hyatt doesn't seem to have this concern. If hotels don't have to "go far and beyond" to take care of Platinum members, then perhaps Platinum members don't have to "go far and beyond" to stay loyal to SPG.
Judging from your posts, you were riding a pretty lucky streak of upgrades, but your luck somehow changed recently. AFAIK, SPG did not change anything in terms of rules for hotels how to treat Platinum’s lately, so I guess it is just bad luck.

GPP Diamond offers more guaranteed perks, so as pointed out some weeks ago, at a Hyatt you are guaranteed more perks than at a SPG property, however the potential for something really really unique is higher at SPG.

Originally Posted by Totoro
Are a greater proportion of Hyatt properties corporate so that Hyatt has more/better control over GP program implementation?
Hyatt International is still massively influenced by Bernd Chorengel, one of the leading hotel brains on the planet. As a German, he is used to follow rules and it shows throughout the chain. In over 250 Hyatt stays, I cannot really recall that I was not given my guaranteed Diamond perks, often far more than that, so to answer your question, Yes !

Originally Posted by W2B Globetrotter

Even before I qualified for Hyatt Diamond recently, I've gotten far better upgrades (all from the cheapest room rates) at top-notch properties: PH Beaver Creek, Andaz West Hollywood, Grand Champions Indian Wells (to a penthouse-level suite in fact and also complimentary club lounge privileges).
Grand Champions is one of the resorts that routinely upgrade Diamond members to a Penthouse Suite, when the RC is closed, which has been the case over the slow season this summer, unfortunately.

Originally Posted by geilux
I will also give Hyatt a chance in 2010:

I started with Milan in December (excellent stay ^) and will test Paris next week.
Park Hyatt Milan is one of the true gems of the chain, especially their suites are truly awesome. You will not be disappointed by Paris or Zurich either.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
I'm a huge fan of Hyatt as well. I was Diamond for a year a few years ago and received consistent upgrades and fanastic service. It was difficult, though, to show up in a city and not have a Hyatt option -- even some relatively major cities by most standards. As some say, it is getting better with Hyatt Place, but still doesn't hold a candle to Hilton as far as coverage unfortunately (so, thus I stick with HHonors). If there were Hyatt's in just 70-80% of my travel destinations I would make the switch without hesitation and strive for Diamond.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 2:18 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

FWIW - I want to temper some expectations with Hyatt. What Bliss reports of getting suites at virtually all his stays is an anomaly - especially at properties that have few suites like the PH Chicago and the Andaz LA (where the Sunset Suite was the only "true" suite in the entire property until they converted at least one of the Corner Deluxe into a suite). However, if the property has "lots" of suites - they'll often routinely upgrade Diamonds into them (the former Park Hyatt San Francisco and Park Hyatt Los Angeles come to mind). For when people "need" a suite, Hyatt provides 4 suite upgrades that can be used on paid stays and confirmable at time of booking. That said, I've been in a higher percentage of suites at Hyatt where the upgrade is not part of the T&Cs than at SPG properties (as a SPG Plat - which is basically 0 suites for the last year).

I believe that Hyatt does manage (not necessarily own however) a higher percentage of their properties (at least the Full Service ones) than other chains and therefore has a bit more consistency in procedures.

The main benefits of Hyatt Diamond are the free breakfast (either in the Club if available or in the restaurant - usually a set $ credit) and the free Internet (which also applies to Platinum mid-tier).
Old Jan 4, 2010, 2:19 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I have always thought SPG was a bit over-rated. It seems to me that Hyatt Diamond is far and away better than SPG Platinum with recent improvements Hyatt has made, let's compare:

SPG Platinum

Welcome Amentiy - yes
Suite Upgrades - "if available" on all stays with some FT'ers reporting very poor success rates
Award Capacity Controls - no
Cash + Points awards - yes
Club Access - yes
Free Breakfast if no club - no
Free Internet - no
Promotions - good

Hyatt Diamond

Welcome Amenity - yes
Suite Upgrades - Four confirmable per year on paid stays, Diamonds have varying luck receiving upgrades even when not using them though
Cash + Points awards - no
Club Access - yes
Free Breakfast if no club - yes
Free Internet - yes
Promotions - At least as good as SPG in the past year

So, the only clear advantage SPG Plats have is Cash + Points awards (which is not a Platinum only benefit of course). Based on anecdotal evidence it seems like Hyatt Diamonds are upgraded to suites about as much as SPG Plats, even though it's not a defined benefit of the program. Even if they never received comp suite upgrades, the fact that they can be confirmed four times a year on the stays that really matter I think is a big advantage (i.e., who cares about a fabulous suite upgrade when you arrive at 10:00 PM and leave at 7:00 AM the next morning).
Old Jan 4, 2010, 2:29 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
The thing with Starwood imo is that they know where problems are and they don't fix them. Some properties are absolutely stellar in terms of customer service e.g., Sheraton Seattle, Westin Michigan Avenue. Some are just beyond poor e.g., Bellevue Sheraton, Reston. Starwood does nothing to ensure consistency and when they do make a mistake they don't rectify it.

This last year although I had 35 stays with Starwood, I made sure I had 26 with Hyatt. I have found Hyatt (except for Olive 8 which, in fairness, is a new hotel) personnel to be accommodating, welcoming, warm, and really extend the one thing that differentiates all of them - HOSPITALITY.

I am rarely, if ever, upgraded at any of the properties I stay at, but that's not the issue - the issue is how I'm treated while on property. Hyatt has this beat hands-down. From the greeting and remembering me from my previous stay to asking me what time I would like for my amenity to arrive in my room, it's the "touches" that make the difference.

Starwood has just seem to have become complacent and they don't appear to really care all that much about whether or not they have customers. As all of my hotel stays are out of my own pocket, I am now voting more with my wallet as to where I stay. This last year stays with Hyatt went from 3 the previous year to 25 with another 12 already booked. I do not have any nights booked with Starwood at this point.

This sounds silly, but every chain hotel has a bed, bathroom, and some points to offer; it's the "little touches" that keep me coming back. Hyatt seems to appreciate their customers for the most part while Starwood as of late just doesn't seem to care.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 3:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by moulder3
I agree completely. Starwood has seemingly done nothing to encourage or force their hotels to 'recognize' plat. members as the loyal guests we are. Not that it matters, but I qualified for plat. almost 3 times-over last year, however get practically nothing for it at every hotel I travel to! Most club lounges are gone, Starwood doesn't require hotels to give plats. free breakfast at their restaurant, no free internet & rarely do we even get the supposed VIP check-in line or suites. Even the airlines are ahead of Starwood on this (as well as prioritizing plats. based on stays or nights)!!!

I'm staying at a Hyatt Place later this month, and I've read nothing but GREAT things about these new hotels. While they don't have the number of properties as Starwood, I haven't seen one reason to stay even ONE night beyond my 25 nights for plat (half of which is already done for 2010)! Thanks to the 4th quarter promo, I'll be done with Starwood by March this year, unless they implement SERIOUS changes to the treatment of plats!

This all stuff we know and has been discussed to death. we all have choices.

Sheraton and certain westin brands have lounges. The W Brand has never had a lounge
Breakfast is not a perk, just like cash & points isn't a perk at other frequent stay programs.
Please tell me what frequent stay program gives platinums (or the equavalent) free internet access. I honestly do not know the answer to that question.

Every program has pluses and minuses.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 3:18 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
Please tell me what frequent stay program gives platinums (or the equavalent) free internet access. I honestly do not know the answer to that question.
Hyatt, to both mid and top tier (platinum and diamond), as of April 2009
Old Jan 4, 2010, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!

Breakfast is not a perk, ...
Hyatt gives their midtiers (platinums) complimentary internet access - all stays, including award.

Hyatt gives their toptiers (diamonds) complimentary internet access as well as full breakfast (often you can order whatever you want) at the hotel restaurant, or regency/grand club access - all stays, including award. RC/GC are often far surperior than Sheraton/Westin club lounges.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Hyatt, to both mid and top tier (platinum and diamond), as of April 2009
Hyatt gives their midtiers (platinums) complimentary internet access - all stays, including award.

Hyatt gives their toptiers (diamonds) complimentary internet access as well as full breakfast (often you can order whatever you want) at the hotel restaurant, or regency/grand club access - all stays, including award. RC/GC are often far surperior than Sheraton/Westin club lounges.
Who knew? I knew the two of you would know. Ok....over to Hyatt to sign up for a number. Thanks to the two of you I've got to know flounder around the hyatt forum to find promos, etc and the Hyatt website to find out about elite status.

Thanks for giving me a homework assignment SD1K and BW!!!

Last edited by KENNECTED; Jan 4, 2010 at 3:36 pm
Old Jan 4, 2010, 3:32 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Hyatt gives free HSIA to its plat (the equivalent of SPG gold) ^
Old Jan 4, 2010, 3:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
RC/GC are often far surperior than Sheraton/Westin club lounges.
How many RC/GC did you visit so far to draw such a conclusion ?
Old Jan 4, 2010, 3:38 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Who knew? I knew the two of you would know. Ok....over to Hyatt to sign up for a number. Thanks to the two of you I've got to know flounder around the hyatt forum to find promos, etc and the Hyatt website to find out about elite status.

Thanks for giving me a homework assignment SD1K and BW!!!
Reading materials :

Current Hyatt Promotions

Tutorial on Getting Your Hyatt Points
Old Jan 4, 2010, 3:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Beckles
let's compare:

SPG Platinum

Welcome Amentiy - yes
Suite Upgrades - "if available" on all stays with some FT'ers reporting very poor success rates
Cash + Points awards - yes
Club Access - yes
Free Breakfast if no club - no
Free Internet - no
Promotions - good

Hyatt Diamond

Welcome Amenity - yes
Suite Upgrades - Four confirmable per year on paid stays, Diamonds have varying luck receiving upgrades even when not using them though
Cash + Points awards - no
Club Access - yes
Free Breakfast if no club - yes
Free Internet - yes
Promotions - At least as good as SPG in the past year
4 PM late check-out is guaranteed at Starwood (except resort and conference locations) while it is not guaranteed at Hyatt, right?
Old Jan 4, 2010, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by rdchen
Yea, those are good places to start.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 3:58 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
So this is the 30th (I think!) post on this thread and I cant believe I'm the first person to state this.

1. There is no comparison - Hyatt Diamonds are treated MUCH better than Starwood Platinums. The Hyatt Diamonds know EXACTLY what they are going to get and, if anything, will get MORE than promised.

2. The Starwood Platinums often have to fight for every thing they are entitled to.

BUT..........................

Many of us stay at Starwoods for free or, if we want to extend our points, for low, Cash & Points rates. Starwood, you see, has a Starwood AMEX that lets us accumulate points and have some wonderful vacations for free. Hyatt, on the other hand, does not so pretty much every stay is a paid one. As someone who uses the Starwood AMEX for my business, it is very easy to earn a number of vacations each year, including Business or First airfare.

The day Hyatt offers a credit card, it will be sayonara to Starwood! Of course, I think we can all count on the redemption rates skyrocketing also.

Most of us couldn't care less if we get a suite when we're on a business trip. But we want a suite when we're vacationing with our significant other and want to feel the hotel chain is rewarding our loyalty. With Starwood, sometimes you get it, sometimes you don't and sometimes you have to fight for it by invoking the help of the Platinum Concierge. Two out of those three are not real good!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.