FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   Year-end 2009 gift from SPG: Limited-edition luggage tags (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1028082-year-end-2009-gift-spg-limited-edition-luggage-tags.html)

KENNECTED Jan 2, 2010 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Jace (Post 13098179)
These have to be some the cheapest luggage tags ever ...

Wish they would have saved the money and just given me some more points :)

Then toss them, give them away or don't use them.

Based the wording in the email and package insert.

To celebrate your travels with us this year, we'd like you to have a set of limited-edition luggage tags as our gift to you. Take these with you on all your upcoming travels — they'll help represent you as an important part of the Starwood Preferred Guest® family.
I received my package and was slightly taken back by the tag. I thought they would be a bit more exclusive, personal and indicate your SPG status.

It is what it is. It the thought that counts as they didn't have to offer anything.

lancefreeman Jan 2, 2010 4:39 pm

Tossed out the incredibly crappy tags right at the Post Office, after getting my hopes up with the nice box. I just loved how the cardboard ID insert was too long for the plastic tag and stuck out on the ends.

But I kept the nifty wire connectors. Will use them to attach my free, custom-photo KLM tags which arrived same day. I suggest people make their own tags there before the offer goes away.

KENNECTED Jan 2, 2010 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by lancefreeman (Post 13098636)
Tossed out the incredibly crappy tags right at the Post Office, after getting my hopes up with the nice box. I just loved how the cardboard ID insert was too long for the plastic tag and stuck out on the ends.

But I kept the nifty wire connectors. Will use them to attach my free, custom-photo KLM tags which arrived same day. I suggest people make their own tags there before the offer goes away.

I noticed that as well which led me to take the picture.

It was a nice gesture, but the end product was poor executed.

NDDomer86 Jan 2, 2010 4:55 pm

The cardboard insert is too long so that you can pull it out and write your information on it. Once that is done, the end of the tag is perforated so you can tear off the offending piece and it fits nicely back into the holder. Agree they have a very cheap feel to them but they're better than nothing (when is the last time Marriott gave ANYTHING as a year end gift) and the overhanging cardboard certainly isn't a foul offense.

RedPanda5 Jan 2, 2010 5:09 pm

wow they do look cheap, I still have the metal one from the last time they sent it out and that one is miles ahead

thomas199023 Jan 2, 2010 5:23 pm

Can anyone who got them make a photo of them? It will probably take a few weeks for them to arrive over here in Europe. Thanks!

Edit:

My apologies Cheap Elite, I see them now! Was a bit sleepy;)

craz Jan 2, 2010 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Jace (Post 13098179)
These have to be some the cheapest luggage tags ever ...

Wish they would have saved the money and just given me some more points :)

Yep this surely is 1 time When I MEAN it SPG you shouldnt have

gfowler-ord-1k Jan 2, 2010 5:43 pm

I tossed the cardboard insert and put in my business card instead, it fits perfectly. I had expected something better -- like with custom printed name on it. I think the old saying "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth" applies here.

Braindrain Jan 2, 2010 6:46 pm

Wow. People complaining about their FREE gift.

Now I've seen everything. ;)

PTahCha Jan 2, 2010 7:11 pm

I received mine today as well. Thought they were decent, and perfect replacement for the ones ripped off by TSA on my last trip.

BTW, it is colored in silver/platinum, the same color as the platinum card.

intheairagain Jan 2, 2010 7:14 pm

Free is Free didnt
receive anything from Marriott or Hilton...

Sagy Jan 2, 2010 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by PTahCha (Post 13099311)
I received mine today as well. Thought they were decent

+1

vandalby Jan 2, 2010 10:36 pm

Mine arrived today and I thought they were a nice gesture from Starwood. Frankly, given the overall economic environment, this package actually surpassed my expectations (although they were very low).

For those who felt that elite status tags were over the top, you'll be pleased to know that no elite type wording appears on the tags, just a platinum swath of color along the right of the side with the picture. So, no screaming lettering to indicate that you're a Platinum.

Originally Posted by lancefreeman (Post 13098636)
I just loved how the cardboard ID insert was too long for the plastic tag and stuck out on the ends.

Perhaps you should have taken a closer look before tossing away: the cardboard inserts had a perforation that allows for tear off after filling out the data on the card. This allows the insert to more than comfortably fit in the tag. I simply inserted my business card.

heffa Jan 2, 2010 11:00 pm

Got mine yesterday (Saturday) as well. Like it! :)

fred8ab Jan 3, 2010 3:50 am

Thanks for the picture cheap elite! I really like that they used one with metal wire to fix it at the laguage. Thanks Starwood will report when mine arrives. :p