Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton LAX - fairly lax

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2009, 8:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
As Plat, received voucher for buffet breakfast. It was a great spread, but not worth more than $15 or so retail.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA EP, Delta SM Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, Omni Black, Hyatt Globalist
Sheraton LAX - fairly lax

I just completed a two day stay at the Sheraton LAX. Service seemed really brusque. My first time at the property. My business companion was with me and has NO status with SPG, and had the same rate (my admin had booked both of us at the same time) but got an upgrade to a suite. I inquired if an upgrade was possible and was told by a very annoyed front desk clerk that one was not. I was cool with it even though the rolled eyes, the impatient hand gesture and the pronounced sigh were all meant to highlight that I should not have even had the nerve to ask. This was unusual for an SPG property (the upgrading of non-status guests over SPGs) - anyone have any insights into if something else figures into this equation at Sheraton LAX? I am putting down the iffy service to just bad training even though it hardly makes me want to stay there again. My business companion was indeed happy, but puzzled as to why they got the UG ahead of a frequent SPG guest.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 10:40 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
(deleted) (substantial errors)

Last edited by alanslegal; Oct 20, 2009 at 12:27 am
Old Oct 18, 2009, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, AA LT Gold, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC, HP Masters emeritus (sigh)
Huh? In many years of staying at this property as a platinum, I still don't know what the regular rooms look like. They always put me in a huge corner room or a junior suite near the elevators.

Maybe they got you and your companion's status mixed up. That doesn't make sense.

This hotel is a very good one for SPG recognition and I believe there are many threads here that support that.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 9:13 am

Programs: AA EP, Delta SM Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, Omni Black, Hyatt Globalist
DesertRat - just fwiw my companion and I checked in separately, and the reservations were separate as well. Alanslegal seems to indicate there is some evidence showing different experiences than yours - I still haven't found that thread, but am looking for it. I am surprised/confused, since people like you seem to get A+ service and others not. Wondering why such drastic variability. Not that this doesn't happen elsewhere, but it seems like it is night and day at this property. I have had colleagues also tell me they have had pretty bad service and one who has been SPG Plat for years tell me he will never stay there again, while others I know who recommended the place to begin with are only SPG Gold and get star treatment.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 9:53 am

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
The different experiences may well be due to how often someone stays at a particular property. I'm a first- or second-timer at most properties, but I appreciate a Platinum upgrade regardless, the more so because Starwood does not provide Plats with free internet and free breakfast, unlike Hyatt.

At the Sheraton LAX a year ago, I wasn't upgraded and the engineer wasn't sent to fix a mechanical problem until I called a second time. But on account of this and more, the front desk manager awarded me a very significant points bonus in the morning. I've learned this is the way to earn SPG points, so I let the matter drop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.