Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Best Star Alliance Gold lounge in HKG?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Star Alliance Gold lounge in HKG?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
Food at both seemed adequate but not particularly standout.
I used to think the HKG was the best UC in terms of food and amenities, then I visited the one in LHR!

-James
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Zorak
UC was gloriously deserted while I was there ~7-8am. I'm sure that changes around the UA bank One shower still out of service, and all the urinals still inop and covered with black covers. Two of the four sinks had "out of service signs and of the two left, I only managed to activate one did not investigate the ladies' room

SKL was of course more crowded. I didn't use the shower but did inquire at the desk and they said it's working. I saw someone folding towels.
Interesting, so now the bathroom situation is swapped, with UC having issues. What is it with HKIA and bathrooms??? Is CX paying airport staff to sabotage the competition?

7 am would be a peak time at SKL due to the SQ1 connection.

And btw, thank you for confirming my decision to ditch UA in favor of CX on my next HKG connecting itinerary
Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:05 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I had a two hour layover last month so I went to three lounges

Singapore SilverKris Lounge

By far the worst looking and least pleasant physically of the lounges. Not only is it a dark cave without enough outlets but their bathrooms are closed for renovation until February. On the plus side they had a good selection of hot and cold food and soft and hard drinks. It was the best of the lounges to make lunch at

Thai Royal Orchid Lounge

Much more pleasant for relaxing in though the multiple colors take a little getting used to. Food selection is far worse (though they had Doritos...yay?) and booze is also cheaper and of lower quality

United Club

Very pleasant to sit in, they have the updated United Club design, but food is by far the worst and the alcohol selection is all brands I haven't heard of (save Finlandia) and I spent five years working in a restaurant.
nnanlno likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:55 am

The SQ lounge in HK serves several traditional Hong Kong household food (try their soup and dessert). Also, they had a bartender making Singapore Sling. I would say food wise SQ lounge is the best.
hardworking21 and zeer0 like this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: QF Silver (OW Ruby)
Looking forward to visit these *A lounges in 4 months time. Looks like SQ lounge is best to drink and eat. TG/UA for space and open natural light area.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 5:10 am

Programs: OZ*G, QF Gold
Originally Posted by khkchan
The SQ lounge in HK serves several traditional Hong Kong household food (try their soup and dessert). Also, they had a bartender making Singapore Sling. I would say food wise SQ lounge is the best.
+1 I always make sure to get some of the tofu pudding (dou fu fa) dessert when I'm there. Grew up eating that stuff! They also had custard buns and "wife cakes" on offer when I dropped in a few weeks ago.

Can't go past a glass or two of the Moët et Chandon either!
Old Jun 11, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingJoy
+1 I always make sure to get some of the tofu pudding (dou fu fa) dessert when I'm there. Grew up eating that stuff! They also had custard buns and "wife cakes" on offer when I dropped in a few weeks ago.

Can't go past a glass or two of the Moët et Chandon either!
Ooh thanks for the tips, to you and everyone else on the thread. Have the choice between SQ, TG, UA, and Premium Plaza in August.

Looks like SQ has the best food and drink. Is that still valid beyond 22:00 as it's going to be quite the late flight (LX)?

Moët is A-OK too! Do they have champers in the other lounges?

UA and TG look a lot better for the open space / tarmac views, but then it's going to be dark at this time of the night, so maybe the views are not that good.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 6:53 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
SQ lounge winds down and the offering is diminished after their last departure - think of left overs but I'm not sure what time that is. It's also usually nearer to the gates LX use rather than TG and UA which are quite a distance away. Plaza Premium is fine and also close to gates LX use.
Maestro Ramen likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 10:08 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
I did all three today (plus the Centurion and Plaza Premium) before flying HKG-BKK. I checked in very early.

Singapore SilverKris - Very poor. No windows, low ceiling. Very dull inside. Food was so so, I counted 4 hot options plus three soups. It does have a small bar and so the chance of a cocktail but the spirits selection was very limited.

United Club - Much better ambiance, above the departure concourse with good views. A smaller selection of hot dishes but they were better presented, and the fish tasted fine (better than the pork dish at SQ). Also a small cold buffet with finger sandwiches and wraps. Limited alcohol selection, self serve. Bumped into a coworker there on his way back to SFO from India I said I’d check out the TG lounge so ......

Thai Royal Silk - The best of the bunch. Very nice ambiance with the multi-colored seating. Above the concourse just like the UC. Around three hot selections including the very tasty fish. An adequate self serve liquor line up. TG has one of the worst “home hub” lounges at BKK, but at this out station they do a decent job.

None were superb, but the TG edged it over UA on a slightly better ambiance. I wouldn’t touch SQ unless I were stuck down in the very low number gate area.
BlondeBomber and uanj like this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:49 pm

Programs: hahaha
@usbusinesstraveller so how do the *A lounges compare to the Centurion and Plaza Premium, for those that have AMEX/Priority Pass?
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:48 am

The Centurion was pretty full. Very few if any seats in the main area. Families/groups appeared to have commandeered the conference room and the other (smaller) room. Lots of kids running around (this was a Saturday morning). The only peaceful place to sit was at the “workbench” area to the side. They were still serving breakfast so I wasn’t interested in eating but the buffet selection was good so that bodes well for lunch/dinner. And of course there’s the full bar.

The Plaza Premium main entrance was closed so people were checked in at the mid lounge “gate”. The food area was packed, and the breakfast selection was mediocre. But they do have a noodle bar that was popular and out the back near the tiny bar some finger sandwiches. The work area was full of people sleeping. But out the back there were several seats/tables unoccupied and that area was quiet.

My overall rankings would be -

1) TG
2=) United and Centurion. Centurion for the bar, but UA for the space.
4=) Plaza Premium and SQ. The only reason to use SQ would be if departing from the low numbered gates (1-10).

I’m returning to the US from HKG this coming Monday (on UA). I’ll give TG, Centurion and UC another look. And as a bonus if you’re lucky (aka I wake up early Sunday and make it to the airport in time) I plan to do a tour of the lounges at BKK. I’ve already made that commitment to the TrioAdvisor Bangkok forum for the pay/PP lounges.
lhrpete and asovse1 like this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: hahaha
Very cool. Thanks for taking the time to chime in!
Old Aug 3, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
While I like the Centurion Lounge in HK, it is often crowded with not enough outlets for charging. A terrible oversight in this day and age.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:08 pm

Btw, I flew back to the US from HKG two days ag on United. So this tine I just used the UC. It was fine but suffers from the “power outlet” problem. The table seats are either nowhere near a power outlet, or there’s one seat with three power outlets and one guy has commandeered that table and is on full charge.

I settled into one of those wide seats with oulefs to the side and made literal use of the word “laptop” to write up that review of the PP lounges at BKK for Triipadvisor. For those interested - https://wp.me/p854AE-7S .

asovse1 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I've got my first BR (EVA) flight out of HKIA coming up next week. I think BR uses T1 while TG uses T2. Which lounge is recommended in T1? Sounds like the SQ lounge is dark & dingy and the UA lounge is typical UA (crappy food). Maybe I'll hit up both and have some lunch in SQ and then look for daylight in the UC.

Thanks,
-RM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.