Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Best Star Alliance Gold lounge in HKG?

Best Star Alliance Gold lounge in HKG?

Reply

Old Aug 11, 09, 12:28 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: YYZ
Programs: Aeroplan Elite
Posts: 5
Best Star Alliance Gold lounge in HKG?

I will be flying round trip to MNL in Jan/Feb 2010, coming back via HKG on CX and AC. Any recommendations on the best Star Alliance Gold lounge at HKG? And does anyone know if I can access the SQ or OZ lounges in MNL while waiting for my CX flight to HKG to catch my AC flight?

Thanks!
itsvince is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 09, 1:41 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Body in Downtown YYZ, heart and mind elsewhere
Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K.
Posts: 4,943
In HKG I use the TG lounge. It's comfy and has a good food selection. It's also pretty close to the AC gate - just a few travelators away. I've read on FT that the UA lounge has better showers but the food is not as good.

You likely will not have access to *A lounges in MNL as you are not flying *A.
RCyyz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 09, 2:16 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO/SJC
Programs: AC E
Posts: 643
I've heard good things about the TG lounge, though you have a lot of options, and you can always lounge-hop your way over there; stop by the SQ lounge just past security and see if they still have the Häagen-Dazs ice cream.
klparrot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 09, 2:22 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC-SE MM,Fairmont Plat, Ritz Platinum , Hertz Platinum, Quintessentially
Posts: 1,246
I use the TG Lounge. Its wide open and lots of great light. As others have stated here. The food it good and much closer to AC gate. HKG airport is huge.
Silvercity is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 09, 2:39 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SJC
Programs: A3 *G, Marriott Plat, AS 75K
Posts: 940
For HKG:

TG lounge had amazing food last time I was there, with an ample magazine selection. It's close to the AC gate, just go down the elevator.

The UA lounge is very close as well. The food is no where near the TG lounge, but they do have a good collection of chargers if you have forgotten/lost yours. I thought I read somewhere about their shower being nice? Perhaps somebody can confirm?
beepyou is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 09, 3:49 pm
  #6  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Canada
Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Posts: 13,912
see my post (and others) on this thread:

HKG LOUNGES

TG is still my fave but UA showers are still better
BlondeBomber is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 09, 3:50 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 6,123
SQ lounge for ice cream.
TG/UA lounge for views
UA for shower
tracon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 09, 5:42 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: YTZ
Programs: VIPorter First, BA GGL, DL Plat, Golden Circle Elite
Posts: 821
You can't get in the SQ lounge in MNL if you're flying CX. All the lounges there are terrible - CX is nothing special. Don't arrive extra early.
kellytoronto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 09, 9:02 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: PHL, NYC, DC
Posts: 9,463
SQ has showers too....not too bad
global happy traveller is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 09, 10:23 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
Posts: 1,788
I like the SQ lounge because it's not very crowded. There is shower facilities at all three lounges. SQ lounge is very far away from the AC gates though.
Scott218 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 09, 10:30 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Here today gone tomorrow
Programs: *G, ow Saph
Posts: 2,820
Originally Posted by kellytoronto View Post
You can't get in the SQ lounge in MNL if you're flying CX. All the lounges there are terrible - CX is nothing special. Don't arrive extra early.
Actually, I would say DO arrive extra early given the hellish nature of checkin and screening at MNL. Just don't arrive even more extra-early for the lounge time
For a 9AM flight, I was there at 6:30 and only had about a half hour to spare. And that was after using the first-class shortcut into the terminal instead of waiting in the normal line to get into the building.
MKE-MR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 09, 10:45 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: LON
Programs: BAEC GGL; KLM Gold; AC 50K
Posts: 141
Originally Posted by kellytoronto View Post
You can't get in the SQ lounge in MNL if you're flying CX. All the lounges there are terrible - CX is nothing special. Don't arrive extra early.
LOL ... sorry to be off topic, this is the reason why I put up with flying PR a few times a year, so that I can get my $20 CAD hour-long massage at MNL Terminal 2 before boarding 507 to SIN to put in another work-day (that ends at 11pm) before heading home on UA 896 the following morning. No lounge can top that
nchinetti is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 09, 6:15 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto
Programs: AC Aeroplan, Fairmont PC, Hilton HHonors, National EC
Posts: 112
Originally Posted by MKE-MR View Post
Actually, I would say DO arrive extra early given the hellish nature of checkin and screening at MNL. Just don't arrive even more extra-early for the lounge time
For a 9AM flight, I was there at 6:30 and only had about a half hour to spare. And that was after using the first-class shortcut into the terminal instead of waiting in the normal line to get into the building.
+1.

Was there in May and let's just say it was an experience.

It's a zoo upon arrival (at least when being met by the locals) and only slightly more organized for departure.

First, non-passengers aren't allowed inside the terminal building, so it's a free-for-all in the parking lot out front. Next, all bags are x-rayed and people inspected prior to entry into the terminal, so that causes delays as well.

Those set the tone for the process, so expect a long line up at check-in -- unless you have priority of some sort -- thank you J reward and Mom-in-wheelchair!

Here's a link to a guide I stumbled across while researching the trip:

http://www.silent-gardens.com/air-departure.php

Just don't believe any of the pictures; in reality, things are 10 times more crowded.
joet00 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 09, 8:23 am
  #14  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Canada
Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Posts: 13,912
"I like the SQ lounge because it's not very crowded.'

I seldom find the TG lounge with people in it at the times I am flying. There are brief spurts of activity but I would never say I have seen it crowded. Much nicer atmosphere overall than SQ lounge which has no windows to the outside world.
BlondeBomber is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 09, 8:59 am
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: YYZ
Programs: Aeroplan Elite
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by joet00 View Post
+1.

Was there in May and let's just say it was an experience.

It's a zoo upon arrival (at least when being met by the locals) and only slightly more organized for departure.

First, non-passengers aren't allowed inside the terminal building, so it's a free-for-all in the parking lot out front. Next, all bags are x-rayed and people inspected prior to entry into the terminal, so that causes delays as well.

Those set the tone for the process, so expect a long line up at check-in -- unless you have priority of some sort -- thank you J reward and Mom-in-wheelchair!

Here's a link to a guide I stumbled across while researching the trip:

http://www.silent-gardens.com/air-departure.php

Just don't believe any of the pictures; in reality, things are 10 times more crowded.
I agree, I actually experienced the MNL madness last year... Waited about 20 minutes to get into T1, then waited about an hour at the JL check in counter in a totally disorganized line, then waited another 20 minutes to pay the departure fee, and I can't remember how long I waited to get through security checkpoint 2.

The PR terminal was a bit better, other than the lack of TP and toilet seats in the washrooms! Flew out of there twice to get to HKG and SIN on PR.

MNL has to be one of the worst airports to go through...
itsvince is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread