Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Baggage Allowance VS/NZ Reward Flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2009, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Hi,

I'm blown some of my VS miles on a trip to the UK (from NZ) but was just short on going business the whole way so had to settle for:
AKL - HKG economy (NZ)
HKG - LHR upper class (VS)

I'm a Koru club member, but unfortunately that doesn't give me increased baggage internationally. What will my baggage allowance be? The 20kg on NZ or 30kg on VS ?

Also, are they likely to check my bags all the way through, or will I have to collect them and re-check them in at HKG?

Thanks
Old Jul 13, 2009, 6:17 am

Programs: UA 1K; LY Gold; DL Gold; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Milliemoo
I'm a Koru club member, but unfortunately that doesn't give me increased baggage internationally. What will my baggage allowance be? The 20kg on NZ or 30kg on VS ?
20KG
Old Jul 13, 2009, 7:53 am

Also, are they likely to check my bags all the way through, or will I have to collect them and re-check them in at HKG?
The baggage allowance will be listed on the ticket - whether 20k/30k/PC - usually the same allowance covering the entire journey. If you luck out and the VS folks issue the ticket with 20k for the NZ leg and 30k/PC for the VS one I'm sure (given that you'll be checking in at the premium check-in lobby at AKL) that you could argue that the second airline's allowance should apply, if it comes up at all.

If its all issued on one ticket no need to collect bags at HKG - unless you have an overnight stopover. Make sure the nice NZ ladies at AKL put a tag on the bag right through to LHR.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies

I've checked my e-ticket and it just has the standard 'check with carriers' bit in the T&C's.

TBH AirNZ have always been quite generous when we've gone over with luggage. We've never been charged. Just to be on the safe side though, I may pack a carry bag in there so if they get fussy I'll just take out a couple of heavy items and carry them on as hand luggage (I'll only have my hand bag with me as carry on).

Milliemoo
Old Jul 16, 2009, 3:49 am

I've checked my e-ticket and it just has the standard 'check with carriers' bit in the T&C's.
I don't know if VS reward tickets are booked using the same system as bmi or Lufthansa - but for those airlines and others if you put your booking reference in at www.checkmytrip.com it will show the exact baggage allowance that will be visible to NZ check-in staff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.