Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Baggage Surcharge while on *RTW?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2009, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: KL Platinum, SAS Silver

Hi all,

I am en route on a YRTWSTAR 29K, and I have a question about some conflicting information-- I have a few domestic legs in the USA on this trip (god help me), and it just occured to me that UA could try to charge me for my checked baggage.

The information i can find on this seems to be in conflict. On one hand, The star alliance pages say the following:

Baggage allowance: Two pieces of luggage are allowed. Most Star Alliance carriers allow 32 kg per piece in Business Class and 23 kg per piece in Economy Class Link

However when I look at the United airlines baggage info page, it mentions no excemption for RTW tickets and certainly sounds like they will try to charge me.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0.../06/03&time=11

Any insight here?

Thanks much!
Old Jul 9, 2009, 3:58 am

Programs: NZ , QF , MK
did you read the very first paragraph in the page you linked ?

..Below is the checked baggage policy for United Economy travel wholly within the 50 United States, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Canada...

so from my reading those fees should not apply to someone on an RTW fare
Old Jul 9, 2009, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by kiwiandrew
did you read the very first paragraph in the page you linked ?

..Below is the checked baggage policy for United Economy travel wholly within the 50 United States, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Canada...

so from my reading those fees should not apply to someone on an RTW fare
But if OP is travelling between say, NY and LA, that IS wholly within the US. Doesn't matter if he is on RTW ticket, which gives 2 pcs baggage throughout .. which is good for places where the weight system is ie within asia, europe etc. But travelling in economy, *A carriers in the US do not adhere to the 2 free pieces anymore. Whereas in Canada, they still do.

So if you're travelling in the US, as long as you depart from a US city and land in a US city and is not conneting onto an international flight that day, then you are restricted to whatever rules your operating carrier says. And that would mean extra baggage fees. Unless you're *G.

The the Oneworld RTW for example. The ticket allows 2 pieces throughout. But BA's baggage restriction for economy class passengers is 1 piece of bag weighing 23kg max only. Gues what, if you fly on say CX/QF between HKG and LHR, you're allowed 2 pieces. But if you're on BA, the BA bagagge restriction kicks in.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
So if you're travelling in the US, as long as you depart from a US city and land in a US city and is not conneting onto an international flight that day, then you are restricted to whatever rules your operating carrier says. And that would mean extra baggage fees. Unless you're *G.
every coupon on a RTW clearly states PC, so the weight might differ from 23-32 kg a piece, but not the amount of pieces (unless it goes up to three for *G). my experince with UA is though, that you always have to fight to get this pushed thru. thats why i always keep a printed copy of the farerules with me when on a RTW...

here is a copy of the bagagge part from the xRWSTARx farerules:

BAGGAGE
PIECE CONCEPT SHALL APPLY FOR THE ENTIRE JOURNEY.
NOTE- FOR MOST STAR CARRIER 23KG PER PIECE APPLIES
IN ECONOMY

Last edited by sentom; Jul 9, 2009 at 10:07 am Reason: added info...
Old Jul 9, 2009, 11:58 am

Same experience here. On a RTW it is always the 2 pieces (3 for Star Gold), even for parts of your RTW trip which is inside the US. And yes, UA is the only airline where the check in agents constantly don't know the rules. Asking for a supervisor usually solves the problem.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
And i can confirm i had to fight for my rights with UA at LAX when taking an internal flight on a RTW Trip.

Take the advice above and take a copy of the rules with you
Old Jul 12, 2009, 2:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: KL Platinum, SAS Silver
Thanks all.. will take fare rules for this!
Old Jul 12, 2009, 3:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TG Gold, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Having done this recently.. (MSP-SFO) on UA on the RTWSTAR2 in Y.. and as *G, i had limit of 3 free checked bags. Didn't specify the weight, but I guess would be 50 pounds per bags. I checked in 2 bags without any fee. two bags total was 101 pounds, one bag 4 pounds heavier then the other.

But, I actually checked in online the night before, and didn't have to deal with the agent - other then him verifying the name on the printed bag tags with my ID, and putting them on the bags.

So, I guess the computer systems should recognize the RTW and the free bags allowance. If in doubt, check-in online, or use the kiosk, which should make it easier.

YMMV, of course.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by RWY02KTM

So, I guess the computer systems should recognize the RTW and the free bags allowance. If in doubt, check-in online, or use the kiosk, which should make it easier.

YMMV, of course.
No, the computer doesn't.

Before the days when airlines started to charge for check in bags.. everyone could take 2 pieces of bags up to 32kg each... yes, just like what it says on your RTW ticket because there was no difference between RTW and domestic tickets. As long as your ticket has USA (and Canadian) cities involved, you are allowed the accorded baggage allowance.

Then the fuel prices went up and airlines started to charge for extra bags. But they made an exception to the rule in that if you're connecting to /from an international flight, you will be allowed to take your international flight allowance. But that allowance does not extend to wholly domestic flights, and it doesn't matter if you're part of a RTW ticket or ticket from Timbaktu.

As long as you're flying LAX-SFO that day without going anywhere else international, you're stuck with whatever baggage allowance that airline wants to give you.

If you've fought for your rights then well, good for you. But you're not in the right. You've just been lucky that the airline has let you go through with it even with your little piece of paper.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 12:29 pm

But that allowance does not extend to wholly domestic flights, and it doesn't matter if you're part of a RTW ticket or ticket from Timbaktu.
sorry to say but you are wrong! every TA (incl. the LH RTW desk in kassel for instance) will confirm that PC is valid on the whole itinerary, doesnt matter what segment or carrier you are flying on. as i said, in the "old" days when there was still paper tickets, each and every coupon had PC printed on them...
Old Jul 13, 2009, 6:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E75
Originally Posted by sentom
sorry to say but you are wrong! every TA (incl. the LH RTW desk in kassel for instance) will confirm that PC is valid on the whole itinerary, doesnt matter what segment or carrier you are flying on. as i said, in the "old" days when there was still paper tickets, each and every coupon had PC printed on them...
I agree. The rules say piece concept apply for the whole itinerary and as *G travelling on RTW in C, I was allowed 3 pieces x 32 kg; sometimes had to remind the C/I agent the ticket was a RTW.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 8:01 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
And that would mean extra baggage fees. Unless you're *G.
Actually UA often waives the baggage fee for *S as well. As long as you don't have more than two bags of course.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 1:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TG Gold, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
No, the computer doesn't.

If you've fought for your rights then well, good for you. But you're not in the right. You've just been lucky that the airline has let you go through with it even with your little piece of paper.
I didn't have to fight for anything. I was automatically granted 3 bags by UA online check-in system. I was on a RTW, and on that day I was on a pure domestic UA flight MSP-SFO. I didn't even deal with any agent until after I had checked-in.

As i said, YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.