Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

'RTW' Fare Increase - eff 01MAY07

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'RTW' Fare Increase - eff 01MAY07

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2007, 12:03 am

Programs: LH Senator
Question How to find the base fare

Originally Posted by henry999
The *A Round-the-World Mileage Calculator, online or downloadable, will give you the base fare for any valid itinerary you enter. Taxes and surcharges are extra, however (as, of course, they are with the fares quoted in this thread).

cheers,

Henry
Henry, would you please explain how exactly to find the base fare. Do you actually send the itinerary, passenger name etc. to the airline? This appears to be the next step after creating the itinerary but I don't really want to bother the airline with this just to know the fares.

Thanks!
Old May 16, 2007, 3:39 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jmalux
Henry, would you please explain how exactly to find the base fare. Do you actually send the itinerary, passenger name etc. to the airline? This appears to be the next step after creating the itinerary but I don't really want to bother the airline with this just to know the fares.
Construct any plan that starts and ends where you want and goes around the world. When you get the message that says 'This is a valid itinerary!' you click through to the next page. There it asks for a name, e-mail address, etc. Fill in something (anything ... nothing gets sent yet). Remember to select the class of ticket that you want. Click through to the next page and it gives you the base price, in the currency of the country where the trip starts.

If you want to compare other possibilities, all you have to do is go back a couple of pages and change the first and last flights. Hey presto: you can see the difference between the fare ex-Sweden, ex-Denmark, ex-Norway, ex-Estonia, ex-EuroZone, ex-UK, etc., etc., all with a few simple clicks and changes.

cheers,

Henry
Old May 16, 2007, 11:05 am

Programs: *Alliance, OneWorld
Okay, I can now obtain quotes through the system... but it really doesn't look good.

I've tried Oslo, Riga, Warsaw, Bucharest, and Sofia so far - all are at least $9k USD for the CRTW3. Ironically, Poland is the most expensive one at roughly $10,668 after the conversion.

I guess I'll need to figure out how to start the trip from the other side of the world, or possibly go via OneWorld. If anyone finds a better option, please post it here for the rest of us.
Old May 16, 2007, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by deepbluesky
Okay, I can now obtain quotes through the system... but it really doesn't look good. ... all are at least $9k USD for the CRTW3.
And this is surprising ... how? The USD is pitifully weak at the moment, at or near record lows against Sterling and the Euro. On the other hand, for us, going to the States now and starting an RTW there looks more attractive than starting in Europe, even with the additional trans-Atlantic ticket.

cheers,

Henry
Old May 16, 2007, 12:06 pm

Programs: LH Senator
Construct any plan that starts and ends where you want and goes around the world. When you get the message that says 'This is a valid itinerary!' you click through to the next page. There it asks for a name, e-mail address, etc. Fill in something (anything ... nothing gets sent yet). Remember to select the class of ticket that you want. Click through to the next page and it gives you the base price, in the currency of the country where the trip starts.

If you want to compare other possibilities, all you have to do is go back a couple of pages and change the first and last flights. Hey presto: you can see the difference between the fare ex-Sweden, ex-Denmark, ex-Norway, ex-Estonia, ex-EuroZone, ex-UK, etc., etc., all with a few simple clicks and changes.

cheers,

Henry
Thanks Henry,

it works perfectly but I really hate what I see

The fares out of Denmark are now exactly the same as the EUR-zone and these prices have also increased a lot. Really bad news
Old May 16, 2007, 7:43 pm

Programs: *Alliance, OneWorld
And this is surprising ... how? The USD is pitifully weak at the moment, at or near record lows against Sterling and the Euro. On the other hand, for us, going to the States now and starting an RTW there looks more attractive than starting in Europe, even with the additional trans-Atlantic ticket.
It is surprising because the fares have risen so much. This has nothing to do with whether you pay in USD, Euro, or local currency. In other words, the price hike is bad news no matter where you are from or what currency you are paid in.
Old May 20, 2007, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by deepbluesky
Okay, I can now obtain quotes through the system... but it really doesn't look good.

I've tried Oslo, Riga, Warsaw, Bucharest, and Sofia so far - all are at least $9k USD for the CRTW3. Ironically, Poland is the most expensive one at roughly $10,668 after the conversion.

I guess I'll need to figure out how to start the trip from the other side of the world, or possibly go via OneWorld. If anyone finds a better option, please post it here for the rest of us.
Consider buying a RTW from BKK etc and then use one way award to get there--after that just keep flying in circles!! You can buy a RTW in Canada with the flights originating anywhere in the world.
Old May 22, 2007, 11:04 pm

Thumbs up RTW fares from Jakarta, Indonesia

(Just in case someone's interested, or just plain curious!)

RTW STAR1 RTW STAR2 RTW STAR3
Maximum Mileage 29,000 34,000 39,000

First Class (FRWSTAR..) USD 7,859 USD 9,079 USD 10,669
Business Class (CRWSTAR..) USD 5.679 USD 6,559 USD 7,699
Economy Class (YRWSTAR..) USD 2,889 USD 3,319 USD 3,899

YRWSPCL: 2,399 (26,000 miles)
Old May 24, 2007, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by inamesh
(Just in case someone's interested, or just plain curious!)

Not just Jakarta, but from anywhere in Indonesia, as well as Cambodia, Vietnam, Taiwan, Phillippines...
Old May 31, 2007, 2:22 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QFWP, IHG Plat, *wood Gold
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Not just Jakarta, but from anywhere in Indonesia, as well as Cambodia, Vietnam, Taiwan, Phillippines...
So are these the most economical (obviously excluding any positioning you have to do) places to start a *A RTW? Has anyone found any better place to start from?
I was hoping that the likes of Fiji would be cheapest but they seem to have gone up too much....
What sort of ball park figure should i use for taxes and surcharges? I know this depends on the routing and airports you travel through and stopovers etc.. but say you maximised mileage and stopovers, would it be a case of adding say 10% ticket price to get an idea? I have no clue....
dj
Old May 31, 2007, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by djsteve
What sort of ball park figure should i use for taxes and surcharges? I know this depends on the routing and airports you travel through and stopovers etc.. but say you maximised mileage and stopovers, would it be a case of adding say 10% ticket price to get an idea? I have no clue....
i paid between 500-800 EUR on my CRW1s and CRW2s, that was in 2004, 2005. always originating in sweden, so it is more its more the 15-20% range...
Old May 31, 2007, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by djsteve
We just completed a CRWSTAR1 in March, from-to Sweden. Our itinerary included 20 flights. The taxes and charges came to SEK 3 968 over the base fare of 38 800, or 10,2%. So, your estimate is pretty good. Maybe make it 15% and perhaps you'll have a happy surprise when it's less.

cheers,

Henry
Old Jun 2, 2007, 3:13 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Question Is MRU price from the calculator correct?

The *A Round-the-World Mileage Calculator, online or downloadable, will give you the base fare for any valid itinerary you enter. Taxes and surcharges are extra, however (as, of course, they are with the fares quoted in this thread).

cheers,

Henry
The fare quoted for MRU seems to be out by a factor of about 10X - too high, unfortunately. Anyone noted any other odd looking fares? (MRU is one of the favoured OW strating points and I would have thought the *A prices would be at least competitive.)
Old Jul 15, 2007, 11:37 am

Programs: QF Silver, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat, Priority Pass
Question Current <26k fare EX UK?

Sorry if I've missed this in the thread...

Does anyone know the current fare EX UK for the 'special' sub-26k miles Y fare? (I assume it is still available?). I'm trying to help a friend book something for later in the year.

thanks
Old Jul 15, 2007, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank god I took my FRWSTAR2 trip already in April. But my ticket was ex-YYZ. No wonder my friend have told me the Toronto agent I booked my tickets through no longer can offer that generous fare now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.