Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Star gold access to United E+ ended?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star gold access to United E+ ended?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2006, 10:22 am

Programs: US Airways,Hilton HHonors, Marriott, National
One issue that needs to be thought about, this E+ cabin is the front of the Economy cabin in all UA aircraft. So bascially, even though UA can reserve exit rows and front of cabin on most *Alliance carriers, we can not on their flights. And I am not even talking about INT'L, but on US domestics. It is a big SHORT-SITED view by UA.

I am extremely disappointed.. and will continue to voice my complaints.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold
Originally Posted by LAX1K to AmWest
One issue that needs to be thought about, this E+ cabin is the front of the Economy cabin in all UA aircraft. So bascially, even though UA can reserve exit rows and front of cabin on most *Alliance carriers, we can not on their flights. And I am not even talking about INT'L, but on US domestics. It is a big SHORT-SITED view by UA.

I totally agree with you but just to note on UA 744, there is a mini E- section before the E+ section.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 2:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flysurfer
So far, they treated me very well. Can't say that about UA.
Maybe it's not UA.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 2:39 am

Programs: US Silver, HH Gold VIP, Avis Preferred Select. P-*A Silver
Originally Posted by LAX1K to AmWest

AMEN MY HP BROTHER:

Like I have said on the other 2 major threads about this...this so-called "Star Alliance", which was started by UA in '97 I might add, is now to be referred to as the "Psudeo-Star Allaince" (or P-*A for short). I strongly believe that this has to do with us "unwelcome" HP elites that have been grandfathered in to this P-*A. If UA is worried about the E+ cabins being too full...why dont they take some and see that some of the time there are entire rows of E+ un filled at times..and most of the time the middle seat in an E+ cabin is rarely filled as well.

Not to mention at SFO on Thurday evening I was going to checkin at, what used to be where P-*A elites checked in with Premiers...now even us P-*A elites dont have priority check-in anymore. So whats left? A cute orange bag tag and a trip to the Club lounge...is that why I am striving to get to gold? If I get this transfer to denver...will UA status match me...should I pick another carrier?

HERES A BIG to UA and thier P-*A
Old Sep 16, 2006, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Maybe it's not UA.
Of course, you are right. It must be me. UA is always right. It's all my fault. Thank you for reminding me, please PM me your address so I can donate you some SWUs. ^
Old Sep 16, 2006, 6:25 am

And yet we haven't seen other *A airlines adopting policies putting UA*Gs last in allocating exit row seating...
Old Sep 16, 2006, 6:49 am

I still do not get it. E+ was the only thing that UA had going in its favour. Through that product UA has been able to secure quite a bit of loyal business from frequent travellers. Now the UA product is sub par by far in every single cabin - and this is espcially true for the intercontinental flights. Why fly UA between US and Europe when BA, AF, KL and LH (just to name a few) has a far better product in M, C and F. The goes for the pacific routes - here the competition is NZ, QF, SQ, JL, AN, etc. I know that such elements as schedule and price are important elements - but given that these over time and to the average pax is leveled out - I do not get why anyone would fly UA (well to be honest I never quite understood why anyone would chosse UA for the C or F product).
Old Sep 16, 2006, 8:24 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
UA is revamping their C product in spring and probably their F too. Now that E+ has been implented in the regional fleet, I guess they are following a business plan. I hope it includes something for E-.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by OFFlyer
I still do not get it. E+ was the only thing that UA had going in its favour. Through that product UA has been able to secure quite a bit of loyal business from frequent travellers. Now the UA product is sub par by far in every single cabin - and this is espcially true for the intercontinental flights. Why fly UA between US and Europe when BA, AF, KL and LH (just to name a few) has a far better product in M, C and F. The goes for the pacific routes - here the competition is NZ, QF, SQ, JL, AN, etc. I know that such elements as schedule and price are important elements - but given that these over time and to the average pax is leveled out - I do not get why anyone would fly UA (well to be honest I never quite understood why anyone would chosse UA for the C or F product).
It's not just schedule and price but FF program. As a USA-based flyer my primary FF program is UA. Fly any other *A as a *G on UA, and I lose the 100% mileage bonus I'd receive if i flew UA metal (LH trans-atlantic does offer the bonus though), upgrade coupons to use on domestic flights, most likely targeted bonuses that work for UA metal flights only, etc.

If I *ONLY* flew international routes (or virtually so) then I'd pay more attention to LH M&M program, and that would also influence my choice in metal.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by QF009
And yet we haven't seen other *A airlines adopting policies putting UA*Gs last in allocating exit row seating...
Why is this considered equivalent? How many seats in total are there in exit row in an AC in Y class?

Let the others retaliate. Who cares. How about all the other *A create E+ and then block UA elites from getting access to it? You (and the other negative folk) would rather your airline retaliate instead of actually improve their Y product?
Old Sep 18, 2006, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
You (and the other negative folk) would rather your airline retaliate instead of actually improve their Y product?
Certainly.

1. LH exit row on longhaul flights (especially on a A340) is much more comfortable that E+. No need for improvement here. Legroom sometimes exceeds UA longhaul C.

2. On 98-99% of all flights (check ExpertFlyer to validate this claim), LH has free exit row seats on its longhaul flights 24h before departure.

3. 23h and 59 seconds before departure, every pax with access to a telephone has the opportunity to call LH (as repeatedly mentioned in the LH forum, calling the German call center is recommended), do an online check-in and reserve one of those free seats in exit row.

Conclusion: UA elites who are able to operate a telephone will sit in LH exit row with a success rate of 98-99%. This applys to shorthaul, medium-haul and longhaul flights. It applys to all LH a/c that physically feature an exit row, including the entire regional partner fleet. Of course, all this can change tomorrow, but that's how things have worked for several years.

As for LH elites flying UA: They are able to pre-assign a seat in UA exit row with a success rate of 0%, and in E+ with a sucess rate of 0%, as well. A fair deal, right?

These are the facts. But then again, never let the facts stand in the way of your views. So carry on whining that "LH hates UA elites", that "UA can't assign seats on LH metal", that "LH puts UA elites into the very back", yadda yadda yadda. It's such a great mantra, please keep it alive for future FF generations. ^
Old Sep 18, 2006, 4:31 am

It's not just schedule and price but FF program. As a USA-based flyer my primary FF program is UA. Fly any other *A as a *G on UA, and I lose the 100% mileage bonus I'd receive if i flew UA metal (LH trans-atlantic does offer the bonus though), upgrade coupons to use on domestic flights, most likely targeted bonuses that work for UA metal flights only, etc.

If I *ONLY* flew international routes (or virtually so) then I'd pay more attention to LH M&M program, and that would also influence my choice in metal.
The past 18 months I did 4-8 NA segments a month on average (even as a CPH based flyer). Quite a few of them were on UA - due to E+. A vast majority of these where on the "expensive" booking classes. Due to the recent move by UA I will now take my business elsewhere - most likely to AA, US and CO for the NA segments. I will bet I am not the only traveller doing this - and what will be the net result for UA?
Old Sep 18, 2006, 8:48 pm

Programs: TK, SQ, TG, NW, PCR, MR, SPG
This finally explain why UA has been heavily promoting thie E+ seats on banners/billboards not only in airports, TV media, and also in downtowns across the major cities in USA, especially so in Chicago city for obvious reasons. Surely we don't expect them to spend loads of A&P dollars on a goodwill upgradable product for *S and *G members?
Old Sep 18, 2006, 9:58 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by OFFlyer
and what will be the net result for UA?
More seats for the rest of us!
Old Sep 18, 2006, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by flysurfer
Certainly.
Refer back to post #48. You must be the only one who doesn't wish one's airline of choice improve itself, but simply spite others.

1. LH exit row on longhaul flights (especially on a A340) is much more comfortable that E+. No need for improvement here. Legroom sometimes exceeds UA longhaul C.
This is just laughable. So LH is the only airline with exit row seats?

And LH has FOUR exit row seats on 3 versions of their 747 and EIGHT on their a340 (per seatguru). There are 94 E+ and/or Y exit row seats on UA's 747.

Yep, LH should restrict all 4 of their seats to UA *G. That'll show 'em.

2. On 98-99% of all flights (check ExpertFlyer to validate this claim), LH has free exit row seats on its longhaul flights 24h before departure.
If I were a LH super elite I'd be very angry about this. Why don't they offer them to LH gold and LH "1K" level members?

3. 23h and 59 seconds before departure, every pax with access to a telephone has the opportunity to call LH (as repeatedly mentioned in the LH forum, calling the German call center is recommended), do an online check-in and reserve one of those free seats in exit row.
Some of us have other priorities and would rather have a decent seat assignment at the point of booking. Feel free to step out of your office and make the phone call.

Conclusion: UA elites who are able to operate a telephone will sit in LH exit row with a success rate of 98-99%. This applys to shorthaul, medium-haul and longhaul flights. It applys to all LH a/c that physically feature an exit row, including the entire regional partner fleet. Of course, all this can change tomorrow, but that's how things have worked for several years.

As for LH elites flying UA: They are able to pre-assign a seat in UA exit row with a success rate of 0%, and in E+ with a sucess rate of 0%, as well. A fair deal, right?
For the record, I never defended this latest change in this, the UA or the US forum.

These are the facts. But then again, never let the facts stand in the way of your views. So carry on whining that "LH hates UA elites", that "UA can't assign seats on LH metal", that "LH puts UA elites into the very back", yadda yadda yadda. It's such a great mantra, please keep it alive for future FF generations. ^
Find me posts where I said that.

But actually you are close on one point, the hating one. But to make it truthful it needs to be updated to read "LH hates EVERYONE".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.