Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Star gold access to United E+ ended?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star gold access to United E+ ended?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2006, 2:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA PE, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
... or the possibility to upgrade to a real business class with an UA SWU. But this will be - as intelligence reports - be abolished shortly....

What "UA SWU - intelligence reports-to be abolished shortly" ? Please tell me more, are they discontinuing paper certs for LH flights issued by UA?

I am sure they will honor the existing ones till Jan 07?
Old Sep 24, 2006, 10:24 pm

UA will loose a lot of business from former loyal customers. I take around 8 transatlantic trips per year, flying UA because of access to E+. Glad that UA respects customer loyalty! I will now fly anything EXCEPT UA.

As a BD Diamond Club member I hope that UA's frequent flyers loose the privilege of guzzling the free booze they get in the Diamond Club lounges.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Loss of E+ seats

I was quite surprised to learn of this change, and quite disappointed.

I'm an Aeroplan Elite, and have had access to E+ seats, even when I was only a * silver. This change doesn't make sense, esspecially with the recent changes to deny E+ to those purchasing high fares but are not elite members in favor of those who are consistantly loyal.

I should be one of those loyal members. I do at least half of my flying on UA, if not more, as most of my flying is ORD-YYZ, and they fly more often than AC. My membership in AP is for two reasons: one, originally being from Canada, its what I always had, and two - the free lounge access available. Seeing I do about 50/50 UA, with most of my booking through UA itself, why do I lose the benefits. I was nearly laughing when the agent told me they stopped giving E+ access to other * Golds. So much for consistent benefits on all airlines. I agree with those that suggest UA Elite's shouldn't get free access to booze in MLL and other lounges.

I'm flying on UA in two weeks, so I'll see if I can't get E+ seats at the airport. Truth is, I have rarely if ever had a problem with this, including on a roundtrip in the beginning of Sept., even though the loss of E+ seats was supposed to be effective as of mid-August.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 5:04 pm

Programs: US Silver, HH Gold VIP, Avis Preferred Select. P-*A Silver
Originally Posted by emcampbe
I was quite surprised to learn of this change, and quite disappointed.

I'm an Aeroplan Elite, and have had access to E+ seats, even when I was only a * silver. This change doesn't make sense, esspecially with the recent changes to deny E+ to those purchasing high fares but are not elite members in favor of those who are consistantly loyal.

I should be one of those loyal members. I do at least half of my flying on UA, if not more, as most of my flying is ORD-YYZ, and they fly more often than AC. My membership in AP is for two reasons: one, originally being from Canada, its what I always had, and two - the free lounge access available. Seeing I do about 50/50 UA, with most of my booking through UA itself, why do I lose the benefits. I was nearly laughing when the agent told me they stopped giving E+ access to other * Golds. So much for consistent benefits on all airlines. I agree with those that suggest UA Elite's shouldn't get free access to booze in MLL and other lounges.

I'm flying on UA in two weeks, so I'll see if I can't get E+ seats at the airport. Truth is, I have rarely if ever had a problem with this, including on a roundtrip in the beginning of Sept., even though the loss of E+ seats was supposed to be effective as of mid-August.
In my last few UA flights I have been upgraded to E+ at the check-in desk...it seem to me that the agents are upgrading people as they see fit. A little niceness helps too.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 2:46 pm

Programs: AF/KL Plat for Life, ET Gold, M&M FTL, UA Silver, EY Silver, Marriott Plat, HHonors Gold
My flights in September were also upgraded to E+ at the airport.

I flew STL-ORD-ATL and got STL-ORD at the gate and ORD-ATL at the RCC. I'd be interested in hearing others experiences.

Although based on the tone of the arguments, I am a little fearful of getting flamed, but for what it's worth (and I am sure it is not much ) I will add my $0.02.

While I lament the loss of E+ access to me as a LH Sen, I can understand that UA has to look after their own FFs first. If, after doing a review of the load factors in E+ and deciding that allowing *A elites access would dilute the product for UA MP elites, I think we could all understand their reasoning. Maybe, if one is consistently travelling in domestic UA, they should join MP? In either case, one can't complain that the Sen lounge is too full (and it is...) and ask for E+ (actually you can, but that is sort of self centered).

And of course, if you like E+, you can always (gasp!) pay for it... which, IMHO is fair... As for me, I'll take whichever airline is cheapest or has the best connections. And if that leaves me with UA, then I'll glady pay a little bit more for some more room if I'm feeling that I need it. It would be nice to get some extra miles for that though, but that is a totally different thread...

Last edited by amenachem; Oct 6, 2006 at 5:53 am
Old Nov 16, 2006, 8:36 pm

Programs: No loyalties, just look for the best deal
You seem to believe that UA actually listens to customer complaints. My experience with them suggests otherwise. I have written complaints to UA on numerous occasions and never ever even received a reply. Visit untied.com!
Don't hold your breath.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.