Search

Baggage during RTW

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2006, 1:11 pm
formerly Fly-Swiss
Original Poster

Programs: SQ
Baggage during RTW

I'm considering a RTW ticket soon and was wondering about how baggage is handled. Might be a stupid question, but, how can the airline do the difference between a transit passenger for who the baggage needs to be put on the next plane, and the passanger who wants his baggage even for a 24hours stop ?

Is there some kind of discussion at the check in ?
Old Mar 31, 2006, 1:15 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
If you want to collect your bags at intermediate stop, just ask at check in for bags only to be tagged to that point.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA UGS 1K, AA EXP, AS MVP Gold, UA RCC, AA AC
A seasoned RTW road warrior woudl advise: "Never check a bag on a RTW itinerary", especially if you have any short city stops or layovers.

A lost/left bag on these itineraries can be disastrous.

Happy flying!
Old Mar 31, 2006, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PE, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Fly-Swiss
I'm considering a RTW ticket soon and was wondering about how baggage is handled. Might be a stupid question, but, how can the airline do the difference between a transit passenger for who the baggage needs to be put on the next plane, and the passanger who wants his baggage even for a 24hours stop ?

Is there some kind of discussion at the check in ?

If you have to check baggage in, it will only be tagged for your next stopover, regardless of the length of your stay there.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 3:26 am
formerly Fly-Swiss
Original Poster

Programs: SQ
Originally Posted by seattle1k
A seasoned RTW road warrior woudl advise: "Never check a bag on a RTW itinerary", especially if you have any short city stops or layovers.

A lost/left bag on these itineraries can be disastrous.

Happy flying!
That would be ideal, but for a trip of 3 weeks, that is difficult. I guess I need to make sure the tag on my bag shows the correct city...
Old Apr 1, 2006, 4:06 am

Since you're on a RTW, your bags would be checked to your first stopover.

goodo
Old Apr 1, 2006, 1:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
Checked-in luggage can be tagged to next stopover point or shorter if you, the costumer, wants it that way (sometimes, even if I stay less than 24 hours and my ticket doesn't show a stopover, I still want to have my luggage handy (example: if I have some bulky presents in it for some friends living at a 'non-stop-airport-place' en-route).

Also, for rtw-tickets, the piece-concept applies all the way (eco: 2 pieces, your Star-status may allow one more piece).
Old Apr 1, 2006, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL,
Hello OP,

There might be another consideration regarding checking luggage or carrying it onboard and that is the airline may require to check at least one bag onboard.

Recently while checking in for business class on QF from AKL-LAX, I heard this loud discussion between an American and a very nice QF TA explaining very firmly to this pax that he must check at least one suitcase. He -- the px -- didn't want to. Fer cryin' out, guy! You're making a jerk of yourself.... check one suitcase, would ya? I have no idea how the situation was resolved because I got my BP and left.

But the airline requirement may supercede your wishes.

YMMV,

David
Old Apr 2, 2006, 8:51 am

Programs: SQ PPS, LH SEN, Amex something, nothing everywhere else
Originally Posted by DavidHatt
There might be another consideration regarding checking luggage or carrying it onboard and that is the airline may require to check at least one bag onboard.

Recently while checking in for business class on QF from AKL-LAX, I heard this loud discussion between an American and a very nice QF TA explaining very firmly to this pax that he must check at least one suitcase. He -- the px -- didn't want to. Fer cryin' out, guy! You're making a jerk of yourself.... check one suitcase, would ya? I have no idea how the situation was resolved because I got my BP and left.
Perhaps I misunderstand, but this makes no sense. I've never heard of an airline requiring you to check at least one bag for a flight.

Flying in C most airlines allow you to take two bags on board as long as they're within the size limit. If an airline had insisted I check one of these I would have been pretty mad too.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by WearyBizTrvlr
Perhaps I misunderstand, but this makes no sense. I've never heard of an airline requiring you to check at least one bag for a flight.

Flying in C most airlines allow you to take two bags on board as long as they're within the size limit. If an airline had insisted I check one of these I would have been pretty mad too.

I was thinking exactly the same thing!
Old Apr 2, 2006, 3:51 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I'd bet the QF case referred to was where the pax wanted to take as carry-ons too much or too big.

QF does have fairly strict cabin baggage allowance (7kgs IIRC) and does enforce it.

NZ is the same.

Makes for careful packing on the RTWs or other long trips if want carry-on only, but its worth it IMHO.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
QF does have fairly strict cabin baggage allowance (7kgs IIRC) and does enforce it.

NZ is the same.
What surprised me is NZ offering *G 2 carryon bags, officially that is.

goodo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.