Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

United Miles for Star Alliance Travel-problem

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2005, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Just spoke with United today regarding a reservation for 9/06. We were able to get business seats on a Lufthansa flight Denver to Frankfurt, six hour layover then flight to Copenhagen where the cruise begins. However, on the return Amsterdam to Frankfurt then Lufthansa to Denver, we were only able to get economy seats on the transatlantic portion. They will still deduct the full amount of miles for business. Does anyone have information about this situation(i get the impression that Lufthansa might release more business seats later)? I am going to try to call tonight and see what is available for a return the next day
Thanks, Julie in Denver
Old Oct 22, 2005, 6:39 am

This is a United problem because you're using their miles, not a *A problem. But as far as I'm aware no *A carrier lets you travel C one-way and Y the other on an award without charging you for a full C award -- unless you're willing to take your chances with space-available upgrades, that is.
Old Oct 22, 2005, 6:46 am

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
Lh

if you use LH miles it might be possible but i am not 100% sure.

may be you can use CC for a trade.

dp
Old Oct 22, 2005, 5:41 pm

See if you can find someone at M+ that can think outside the square. From AMS back to NthAM you have a multitude of combinations available in Business Class with AC UA US BD LH LO OS SK RG NZ & SQ. Surely there's something there somewhere that will be open.
Admittedly, UA's routing rules may be limiting the options somewhat.
Old Oct 22, 2005, 6:28 pm

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
Hi yogagal, and welcome to FT ^

Having said that, I should note that you cross-posted your thread on the UA forum (it is actually more appropriate there, as you're using MP miles and are dealing with UA, and you are getting more responses there). I do need to point out to you for future reference that cross-posting is against FT TOS, and rather frowned-upon by us FT folk
Old Oct 26, 2005, 4:34 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jpatokal
But as far as I'm aware no *A carrier lets you travel C one-way and Y the other on an award without charging you for a full C award -- unless you're willing to take your chances with space-available upgrades, that is.
bmi allows one-way awards for half the miles of a return. If C is available on way, but only Y the other, then you can book two one-ways for five-sixths of the mileage cost of a C return.

Last edited by NickW; Oct 26, 2005 at 4:37 am
Old Oct 26, 2005, 6:29 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jpatokal
...as far as I'm aware no *A carrier lets you travel C one-way and Y the other on an award without charging you for a full C award...
Hmmm...what a coincidence that you're SK *G because SAS is one *A carrier which allows exactly that. We just did it last weekend. For C one way and Y the other, you 'split the difference' in the cost of the points.

cheers,

Henry

Last edited by henry999; Oct 26, 2005 at 6:31 am
Old Oct 27, 2005, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by henry999
Hmmm...what a coincidence that you're SK *G because SAS is one *A carrier which allows exactly that. We just did it last weekend. For C one way and Y the other, you 'split the difference' in the cost of the points.
So much for my knowledge (and I could actually have used that a couple of times if only I had known...). Once again I bow before the immense fount of wisdom that is FT.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 8:12 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
AC allows one way reward travel though it is not widely advertised. Only on AC metal though . . . Costs slightly more than half the round trip miles but may be useful in some situations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.