Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Round the World with *Alliance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2005, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum

I would like some opinions on an itinerary for RTW. I will be using 400,000 miles for 2 first tickets. I will be originating in Miami. I would prefer travel in April 2006 or August 2006 and plan to spend 30 days travelling. Thanks for any help.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 10:58 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by centrum
I would like some opinions on an itinerary for RTW. I will be using 400,000 miles for 2 first tickets. I will be originating in Miami. I would prefer travel in April 2006 or August 2006 and plan to spend 30 days travelling. Thanks for any help.
Well, on the one hand, you've come to the right place because RTWs are among our favourite topics here. On the other hand, however, your 'request' is _awfully_ vague. How about some specifics? What *A airlines do you know and like? You must have some idea of where you want to go.

cheers,

Henry
Old Sep 22, 2005, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum
I left the itinerary vague because I am looking for opinions based on your experiences.
As far as airlines are concerned, I really have no preference but would again appreciate any advice you can give.
Thanks
Old Sep 22, 2005, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K;
Originally Posted by centrum
I left the itinerary vague because I am looking for opinions based on your experiences.
As far as airlines are concerned, I really have no preference but would again appreciate any advice you can give.
Thanks
I would suggest that you decide which direction you want to start.
Have you downloaded the *A RTW Calculator?
Make a list of places you would like to see and then try to place them in the Calculator to make them fit.
BlondeBomber hosts a couple of invaluable spreadsheets to help in working out how to get from point A to point B.

I chose places that we had missed and probably would not make a special trip to see and others that looked interesting.

Last edited by grayland; Sep 22, 2005 at 2:46 pm
Old Sep 22, 2005, 2:09 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
You should also check out the rules for the RTW award tix with your program (presumably either US Dividend Miles or UA Mileage Plus). Typically RTW awards have limits on the number of flights, number of stopovers, back-tracking, etc.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
I hope you realize that it will cost you 2X 400k miles= 800k miles on UA. I don't think it's the best use of miles. Well, I would never let my account run up that high.

I would consider business class in any case because you will run across airlines that don't even have F class.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 10:17 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
I would recommend to do a lot of the segments on SQ. Their first class is.... ahhhh.... divine....

In terms of cities I would recommend London, Singapore, Sydney, Auckland. But then again, your question is a bit vague, and this is a lot about taste.
Old Sep 23, 2005, 1:43 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
Here is what I'm doing in November:

Beirut-Frankfurt-New York-Phoenix-Los Angeles-Aukland-Sydney-Singapore-Frankfurt-Beirut.

Traveling on:

Lufthansa-Singapore-United-United-Air New Zealand-Air New Zealand-Singapore-Lufthansa.

I chose those cities because I have friends living there whom I will be visiting with. I chose Singapore Airlines (for obvious reasons) and Air New Zealand because I wanted to "try it out" (heard some good things about their business class product out of LAX). The others I was "stuck" with as I didn't have that many options out of Beirut and within the US for *A flights. That simple really. Of course, I can't take full credit for the above as I had some major help from a good friend of mine (and fellow FT member) who maximized my travel route so that I could stick within a certain mileage "band" and not have to pay through the roof for my RTW ticket.

It would be a good idea, as mentioned here, to consider business class travel (my flight on NZ from LAX to AKL doesn't have first class service) and to think about the cities you would like to visit and then just plot a route around the world . If you're starting in Miami, would you like to head East or West? And just take it from there... Download the mileage calculator at http://www.staralliance.com/star_all...e/main_10.html and just have fun with it .

Alternatively, you can just throw darts at a map and hope there is a *A flight that can take you there ... (And at the rate the "alliance" is growing, there probably is. )

Last edited by BEYFlyer; Sep 23, 2005 at 1:53 am
Old Sep 23, 2005, 2:31 am

Programs: UA Gold (Million Miler), FI Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Here's an idea:

MIA - NYC New York (UA via IAD)
NYC - YUL Montreal (AC)
YUL - YVR Vancouver (AC)
YVR - LAS Las Vegas (UA via SFO)
LAS - HNL Honolulu (UA via LAX or SFO)
HNL - NRT Tokyo (UA)
NRT - HKG Hong Kong (UA)
HKG - BKK Bangkok (TG)
BKK - SIN Singapore (SQ)
SIN - DXB Dubai (SQ)
DXB - TXL Berlin (LH via FRA)
TXL - ARN Stockholm (SK)
ARN - CPH Copenhagen (SK)
CPH - LHR London (SK)
LHR - MIA Miami (UA via IAD)

It's all well within the 29000 mileage limit (hence no Australia / S. America)

***BTW I think when he said he would use 400,000 miles for two tickets that he meant to go Y class***
Old Sep 23, 2005, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by Karter
....***BTW I think when he said he would use 400,000 miles for two tickets that he meant to go Y class***
Nice routing there Karter ^ . OP did mention "...I will be using 400,000 miles for 2 first tickets...", so might be in for a surprise...
Old Sep 23, 2005, 8:38 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by BEYFlyer
Here is what I'm doing in November:

Beirut-Frankfurt-New York-Phoenix-Los Angeles-Aukland-Sydney-Singapore-Frankfurt-Beirut.

Traveling on:

Lufthansa-Singapore-United-United-Air New Zealand-Air New Zealand-Singapore-Lufthansa.

I chose those cities because I have friends living there whom I will be visiting with. I chose Singapore Airlines (for obvious reasons) and Air New Zealand because I wanted to "try it out" (heard some good things about their business class product out of LAX).
If its not too late may want to consider changing LAX-AKL to SFO-AKL. SFO-AKL is guaranteed the new business class, but LAX-AKL may or may not have it (depending on how well the refurbishment is going and also how much more delays to the arrival of 777 due to the Boeing strike).
Old Sep 26, 2005, 2:37 am

Thanks for the heads up Kiwi Flyer; I'll make the necessary changes to my itn.
Old Oct 2, 2005, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by gnaget
I hope you realize that it will cost you 2X 400k miles= 800k miles on UA. I don't think it's the best use of miles. Well, I would never let my account run up that high.

I would consider business class in any case because you will run across airlines that don't even have F class.
How many miles for round the world reward ticket for econ class? I have about 100k miles (United Airlines).
I am sure 100k is not enough for round the world reward ticket .
Where can I find those information?

Thanks
Old Oct 2, 2005, 11:53 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
200k. Check United's website. They have a Star Alliance award chart.

It's not good value for miles..... it sucks flying around the world in economy.

Consider that IAD-BKK-IAD is pretty much around the world and it only costs 90k for business class.

If you want to fly around the world inexpensively then go to Sweden and buy an economy RTW ticket for little more than $2000 -- at least for a Star Lite. They you will earn miles for your trouble and you can upgrade on UA flights.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by gnaget
200k. Check United's website. They have a Star Alliance award chart.

It's not good value for miles..... it sucks flying around the world in economy.

Consider that IAD-BKK-IAD is pretty much around the world and it only costs 90k for business class.

If you want to fly around the world inexpensively then go to Sweden and buy an economy RTW ticket for little more than $2000 -- at least for a Star Lite. They you will earn miles for your trouble and you can upgrade on UA flights.
Thanks. 100k Miles shortage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.