Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Future Star Alliance members?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Future Star Alliance members?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2005, 12:03 am

Programs: UA 1MM, DL former Gold, AA, SPG, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kiwiandrew
too bad SK didn't hold on to the stake they had in LA when it was first privatised - they must be wishing they had
With all the poor business decisions SK made in their glorydays (hotels, Eastern Airlines, etc.) back in the 80s, they are probably glad to just be in business for now.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 1:51 am

Programs: NZ , QF , MK
Originally Posted by Seeksreal
With all the poor business decisions SK made in their glorydays (hotels, Eastern Airlines, etc.) back in the 80s, they are probably glad to just be in business for now.

true - but isn't it ironic that two of the investments they decided to get rid of LA and CO are in such good form today .

By the way - I read a ripper of a quote from the current SK CEO in this weeks Flight International - can't remember the exact wording but he was explaining why they were going to keep their mad dog eighties even though they guzzle fuel like a holden instead of replacing them with something else .

He said " I want to be the one SK CEO who doesn't buy a new aircraft only for us to find out in 5 years that we dont want it / need it "

bearing in mind that SK is infamous for having an "eclectic" fleet mix I thought it was very funny .
Old Oct 21, 2005, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, DL former Gold, AA, SPG, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kiwiandrew
true - but isn't it ironic that two of the investments they decided to get rid of LA and CO are in such good form today .

By the way - I read a ripper of a quote from the current SK CEO in this weeks Flight International - can't remember the exact wording but he was explaining why they were going to keep their mad dog eighties even though they guzzle fuel like a holden instead of replacing them with something else .

He said " I want to be the one SK CEO who doesn't buy a new aircraft only for us to find out in 5 years that we dont want it / need it "

bearing in mind that SK is infamous for having an "eclectic" fleet mix I thought it was very funny .
There's a lot about SK that doesn't make sense to me. They could easily have become a major player in the transatlantic market if they had focused on being a portal to northern and eastern Europe from North America. Right now they are basically surviving on Scandinavian travelers who are loyal to them because "it has to be the best since it is Scandinavian" or simply aren't savvy enough to make other choices.
Old Oct 29, 2005, 8:29 am

Programs: AC Elite; FB Gold; ST Elite; Intercontinental Amb.; Avis PS; HG; HHG
Originally Posted by Bjornstrom
Anyone now which date I can make a STAR RTW booking using SAA flights?

I am doing ZRH-DAR on LX in early march and would like to add DAR-CPT/JNB with SAA.

This blurb was included in an email that I received from Delta SkyMiles yesterday. Although there is a great deal of speculation on SAA joining *A in the spring of next year, what Delta has sent out seems to indicate that the speculation may have some truth to it.

"As of April 1, 2006, South African Airways will no longer participate in the SkyMiles program. SkyMiles members can earn miles on South African flights until March 31, 2006. Miles can be redeemed on South African flights until September 30, 2006, and travel must be completed by September 30, 2007. For travel opportunities with other Delta partners, visit..."
Old Oct 30, 2005, 1:58 am

Programs: SK*G, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by LGA_Joe_YUL
This blurb was included in an email that I received from Delta SkyMiles yesterday. Although there is a great deal of speculation on SAA joining *A in the spring of next year, what Delta has sent out seems to indicate that the speculation may have some truth to it.

"As of April 1, 2006, South African Airways will no longer participate in the SkyMiles program. SkyMiles members can earn miles on South African flights until March 31, 2006. Miles can be redeemed on South African flights until September 30, 2006, and travel must be completed by September 30, 2007. For travel opportunities with other Delta partners, visit..."
Thanks! But that means that I wont be able to use SAA in march. My hope is with LX.
Old Oct 30, 2005, 10:25 am

Wow, I didn't know SAS owned Eastern Airlines! How much did they own, and from when to when?
Old Oct 30, 2005, 1:51 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Originally Posted by LGA_Joe_YUL
I'm pretty sure this has been official for quite a while. The only issue is the actual date, and perhaps this does give a possible indication of the "official" date.
However, I'd still be leery of counting on it, as there have been so many delays of the "official join date" both before and after the announcement that SAA was joining up.
Old Nov 1, 2005, 4:37 am

Programs: LH SEN for Life
Middle East

As both LH and OS fly (LH 14 daily, OS 9/10 daily) to TLV and they are generally full, I don't see politics allowing either an Arab airline or LY joining *A.

LY has rumored many times in the past some arrangement with LH but nothing has come of it.

It would be nice but as they say "no cigar".

Shofar
Old Nov 2, 2005, 7:09 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
Originally Posted by Shofar
As both LH and OS fly (LH 14 daily, OS 9/10 daily) to TLV and they are generally full, I don't see politics allowing either an Arab airline or LY joining *A.

LY has rumored many times in the past some arrangement with LH but nothing has come of it.

It would be nice but as they say "no cigar".

Shofar
As you said, it would be nice ... Mind you, Royal Jordanian is joining One World (or has joined) if I'm not mistaken. Granted Jordan has "normal" ties with Israel, but still maybe a sign of things to come ???
Old Nov 3, 2005, 10:28 am

Programs: LH SEN for Life
Originally Posted by BEYFlyer
As you said, it would be nice ... Mind you, Royal Jordanian is joining One World (or has joined) if I'm not mistaken. Granted Jordan has "normal" ties with Israel, but still maybe a sign of things to come ???

I think the day when we can visit each other directly is still very far off. May the UN's investigation help out your nation to be set free.

Shofar

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.