Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Who should be a new * member?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who should be a new * member?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2005, 1:25 pm

Programs: BA[G], SQ[G], TK[G], DL[PM], EY[G], AF[S], IC[Amb], HH[G]
about the M/E carriers we have to say some things.

EK nr. 1 told neatly that EK WILL NOT ENTER ANY ALLIANCES.
So i think the only possibilities is after his death.

BTW the star choice is surely QR (for the reasons please read my previous post in this thread).
GF has strict relations both with AA (cs) and with QF (cs)... ok, they have also code sharing with BD, but we know the particular status is now lived by BD: so GF seems to be a possibile OW member (even if we have to say that BA and its "yes-sir" partner [CX] find ALWAYS some problems or difficulties in accepting new partners [LX, remember?])
EK FFP's tie-up with BA's FFP ended last year (such as the one with SQ is ending)... at the moment they have CS with TG [*A] and strong CS with CO [ST], while they have FFP affiliation with CO [ST] and DL [ST] and UA [*a]

Finally, considering all the matter, though IMHO EK WILL NOT JOIN ANY ALLIANCE, the only doable choice could be scaryteam... but in this case, i really can't see which is the add-value for EK (on the contrary i can see faultless the advantages for Skyteam).

My Two cents.
Cheersss
luke
Old Jan 26, 2005, 6:41 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
My 2 cents..

KA (Dragonair) - no way, given the CX tie up - as someone else suggested.

GF - you're kidding? James Hogan may have turned it around somewhat, but it is no competition to EK or QR in the region, and certainly doesn't have any prestiege value.

EK - I agree - no alliance. They're following the 90's SQ strategy of becoming very big, very quickly, and doing everything their own way and to their benefit (that's why they chop and change partners as conditions change).

CA (Air China) - possibly soon

THY Turkish??? - what are you smoking, man? There's way too much coverage of europe, and southern europe is already covered by Spanair & TAP.

VS? BA would cry foul given the slot situation at LHR - consider: UA, BD, VS vs BA and AA. Hmmm...... VS would certainly add much needed routes to * to tie other regions together (think: LHR-JNB, LHR-HKG, SYD-HKG). True VS competes with current members NH (NRT) and SA (JNB) but I don't think this is such a massive issue. I think VS want to retain their fairly unique product concept though. They may have to give up too much to mould to Star which they may not be willing to.

QF?? Doubt it, despite the credible source. Why on earth would QF want to go to DeathTeam? Let me guess - "Enhance" their FF program by providing popular awards on ST partner SU on the glamorous Moscow-Tashkent sector? Hmmm... I can't see how ST would help QF in the slightest - most of the partners don't even really serve the region (except KE, and MH if it ever joins up).

Qf would be highly desireable for Star but I doubt it will fall out of OW anytime soon given the close ties to mother BA.

So who is left? AR is far closer to OW so they are no option for South America. There's nothing left in NA, and besides UA/US(well)/AC are a pretty good combo up there and europe is saturated.
Old Jan 26, 2005, 12:31 pm

i agree with most of richard's things.

About QF, i think that at the moment it's quite difficult a change of alliance, but in mid 2006 it could happen.
Another possible scenario is about a major change for US carriers... DL/CO/NW in the same alliance with US and UA very close to bankrupt in *A don't give any assurance about stability.

Other interesting carriers:
JL - it seems they want to stay alone as EK, but finally i can see them in OW.
LX - that's a real strange.... refused by OW, LH interested but OS strong refuses they join *A. No possible space in ST.
AI - Strong tie-up with LH (both FFP affiliation and code-sharing).... they seems near to *A
JJ - they seems to be near to ST that needs urgently a S.American partner.
Old Jan 26, 2005, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
As much as I am impressed with products and services offered by KA, I just don't see how it could benefit Star. KA is too China focused, and most of the Star carriers fly to Chinese cities directly.

Someone mentioned that the tie-up between KA and CX would make it less likely for KA to join Star, and I'd like to use the same argument for CA's entrance into Star. CX has recently become a siginificant minority shareholder of CA, and MU has expressed its intention to terminate its relationship with CX based on this development. MU used to a close lock to join Oneworld, but now it is considering its options.

Having flown MU, CA and CZ many times over the years, IMHO, CZ and MU are much better carriers than CA, and Shanghai could be a monster hub in the future, and Star can definitely grow its China presence on the back of the MU network in China.

I'd also love to see Silk Air, Virgin in the mix as potential Star members, but it is hard to figure out Branson and Singapore Airlines. I noticed SQ is the only *member website does not display *logo on this main page.

Star does need an Inidian and a Middle-Eastern member sooner than later. Hopefully the process is underway to select poential candidates.
Old Jan 26, 2005, 2:13 pm

who "should" vs who "probably will"

I see a few even more European carriers in *. Expect OS to work on a Ukrainian carrier. Expect LH to buy into another airline, such as SWISS or if EI ever goes up for sale. I would like to see Icelandair join into SK, though.
Outside of Europe, SA will bring another 1 or 2 of their partners in.
Old Jan 26, 2005, 3:12 pm

I'd also love to see Silk Air, Virgin in the mix as potential Star members, but it is hard to figure out Branson and Singapore Airlines. I noticed SQ is the only *member website does not display *logo on this main page.

Star does need an Inidian and a Middle-Eastern member sooner than later. Hopefully the process is underway to select poential candidates.[/QUOTE]

SQ is a very particular carrier. Also for special *A livery they were not very favourable. they have particular rules for lounge access (i.e. SKL in Changi). Basically, though i'm a great SQ fan, they think to be the leading airline in the alliance... they consider only LH as "ex-aequo".
So it's not too strange they don't have STAR LOGO in their website HP.

Regarding Silk Air, i'm quite sure it will be one of the next regional members.
Old Jan 28, 2005, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA1KMM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, EY Gold, QR Gold
I agree with the above posters, GF is better than it was, but does not come close to EK or Qatar.

TK has a good network in Middle East and Eastern Europe.

I think Silk Air and Qatar will be the next to be courted by * Alliance.

EK wouls be a dream come true, especially once they expand into the USA more, but it will not hapen for a long, long time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.